Skip to main content

On Saturday night with Futronic who was in town on a mission to mule a lot of wine back to Toronto. Mission accomplished based on what I saw yesterday.

2006 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils, Champagne, Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron

2014 Sadie Family, Palladius

2005 Domenico Clerico, Barolo, Pajana

2013 (?) Telmo Rodriguez, Galicia, As Caborcas

2008 Zind-Humbrecht, Pinot Gris, Heimbourg, SGN

Everything was delicious although I was disappointed with the Z-H SGN. Didn't have enough acidity for my liking.

And then Sunday with pizzas for lunch

NV Chartogne-Taillet, Champagne, Cuvée Sainte Anne

@steve8 posted:

On Saturday night with Futronic who was in town on a mission to mule a lot of wine back to Toronto. Mission accomplished based on what I saw yesterday.

Everything was delicious although I was disappointed with the Z-H SGN. Didn't have enough acidity for my liking.

Fantastic! Nice to see some of the WS crew getting together again. Gives one hope.

2015 Sassetti (Pertimali) Brunello di Montalcino

Long and balanced but needs time.

2015 Gauthier (Bel Air) Bourgueil "Clos Nouveau"

Holy ^%*#$&%^&#^#$#!!!  At just over $50/bottle, exceptional.  Miracle grow, black, dark red, and purple small berry fruits, dried cigar tobacco, a hint of green bell pepper.  The only fault is it is so rich, even though well balanced, a little additional lift might have been nice.

Both wines were consumed popped, decanted for about 30-45 minutes, and then poured.  The Sassetti is the more elegant wine but the Gauthier is the much much more exuberant wine, as well as being more unique.  I purchased 3 Sassetti ($63) and 4 Gauthiers ($53).  I'll wait a while on the other two Brunellos, I just wanted to know what I was dealing with.  I've already contacted the wine buyer via e-mail that I want 3 more of the Bourgueil so I can drink the 6 over the next 7 or so years.  (This doesn't strike me as a long-hauler, but if anyone has experience with 12+ year versions please let me know.)

Last edited by winetarelli
@steve8 posted:

Always a pleasure to see you and J, steve. My thoughts on the wine are the same as yours. The Pajana was in a really nice spot. To add to the Telmo, it's from Valdeorras in Galicia, and yes, it was the 2013.

The haul was huge, with plenty of great wines for myself and others here in Toronto. I think I'm set for quite a while now.

Mim, good to see you also, albeit unfortunately very briefly. My next visit should be longer (and with fewer SAQ stops), so we'll be able to meet up for dinner then.

2014 Domaine Javouhey Nuits Saint Georges Burgundy.

I do not think this is available outside of France but try and find it. I bought this in Dijon a few years ago when visiting Burgundy after a wine tasting at a beautiful wine shop. The mid palate on this red Burg is creamy and long with just the right amount of acidity. The fruit and oak do not compete but complement each other. Wish I had more. A no brainer pinot that can complement a plethora of food choices. 

IW

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.