Skip to main content

NV Varnier-Fanniere Cuvee Jean Fanniere Origine Extra Brute - 100% Chardonnay from GC vineyards in Cramant, Avize & Ogier.  Intense (white) floral aroma, strong autolytic flavours, minerals, chalky.  I liked it a lot.

NV Piper-Heidsieck Essentiel Cuvee Reserve Extra Brute - Blend of Pinot Noir, Meunier and Chardonnay.  Much richer than I expect from an Extra Brute.  Muddled flavours of apple, almond, lemon pie.  Solid but not memorable.

Drunk with mounds of Bairdi and Snow crab.

Last edited by otw

2018 Accornero Bricco del  Bosco Grignolino Monferrato Casalese

Made from grignolino, this pours a pale orange red - lighter than the last Tavel rosé we had. Don’t let the colour fool you though; this has a solid tannic spine framing an earthy bouquet of strawberries and black cherries and a decent enough finish. Great match for roasted portobellos and would probably even improve with a little age. Great cellar defender for C$20. 

Last edited by vint

in the recent past....

NV Tarlant Brut Reserve

2018 Domaine Chantereves Aligot les Chagniots

2017 Arnot Roberts Pinot Noir Coastlands

2017 Enfield Wine Co. Citrine Chardonnay

2018 Vinatigo Gual

2017 Vinatigo Vijariego Negro

2015 Dirty & Rowdy California Familiar Mourvedre

2014 Dirty & Rowdy Familiar Blanc

2015 Suertes del Marques 7 Fuentes

over the past few weeks in northern Ontario

2011 Telmo Rodríguez Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León Pegaso Granito

2011 Telmo Rodríguez Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y León Pegaso Barrancos de Pizarra

2015 Weingut Ökonomierat Rebholz Riesling trocken

2008 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva

2007 Tenuta Sette Ponti Oreno Toscana IGT

2006 Brancaia Il Blu Toscana IGT - very tough to drink in the summer 

2017 Chatagnier Viogner - great qpr

2019 Bodegas Valdesil, Montenovo Godello 

2017 Bodegas Valdesil, Valderroa Mencia

2018 Envinate Albahra - nice 

2018 Envinate Migan - really nice

2018 Envinate Benje Blanco - meh 

Last edited by mangiare

Past couple of days in a cottage in northern Quebec:

2015 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie( too young)

2015 Bodegas y Viñedos Castro Ventosa Bierzo El Castro de Valtuille(lovely)

2016 Domaine du Vieux Lazaret Châteauneuf-du-Pape

2018 Summerhill Pyramid Winery Ehrenfelser

2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Bosconia

2010 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia(absolutely beautiful and very unique)

Mimik, what did you think of the Volpaia? i'm sitting on a case.

2006 Fattoria Poggiopiano Rosso di Sera Toscana IGT - another wine that should be half the price or less. Not a chance the fruit will keep up with the tannins and acidity. Pretty sure it was purchased based on a published review 10+ years ago. 

One positive of trying to drink it made me grateful for this board and the great friends I've met and knowledge I acquired. 

Tonight we finished the tail ends of three bottles:

2010 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia, opend three nights ago. Such an interesting wine. On night three, the fruit is largely gone but this is far from deceased; it still has the complex sherry and herbal tones that remind me of those aromatic bitters used in cocktails. In a good way.

2014 Domaine Jessiaume Beaune 1er Cru Cent-Vignes, opened 2 nights ago. Better on the first night, but holding its own after 48 hours.  Earthier and more subdued, but still a nice match with tenderloins and broccoli off the grill.  

2018 Fontanafredda Gavi di Gavi - opened last night. This has definitely lost the freshness and bite we really enjoyed last night. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.