2003 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra 

Throwing sediment like crazy. A whiff of oaky balsamic on the nose but no balsamic or soy or brown sugar on the palate. Intense dark cherry liqueur and intense tannins. Not sure which will win out in the long run, the fruit or the tannins, but they balance each other out at the moment, the tannins keeping the 2003 ripeness in check. Did I mention that it’s intense?

2013 Hamilton Russell, Chardonnay

Outstanding. Beautiful golden yellow colour. Drink or hold, but why?

2013 Pearl Morissette, Pinot Noir, Twenty Mile Bench

Still young. If I had anymore I would hold.

2016 Venus La Universal, Montsant, Dido (red)

Excellent, but also young. I wasn't planning to open this so soon, but I noticed one of the bottles was leaking. Decided it was probably better to drink it now.

Last night, brought to friend’s house while bogarting their patio and fire pit:

2018 Little Wings Little Pink Moonbeams Rose

2015 Little Wings Syrah (drinking fantastically with balanced acid and dark berries, white pepper, alder smoke)

NV La Cle de la Femme Champagne 

And today with lunch, 2018 Esprit de Gassier Rose

billhike posted:

Last night, brought to friend’s house while bogarting their patio and fire pit:

2018 Little Wings Little Pink Moonbeams Rose

2015 Little Wings Syrah (drinking fantastically with balanced acid and dark berries, white pepper, alder smoke)

NV La Cle de la Femme Champagne 

And today with lunch, 2018 Esprit de Gassier Rose

Jorge would be happy to hear--  if he still reads this forum.

2009 Pearl Morissette Riesling

The first vintage of PM’s Riesling. A library release. First, I’m glad they nixed the stupid black wax capsule. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I hate struggling for five minutes to open a bottle of wine. Are you listening, Dunn?

The wine is probably as varietally correct as PM gets - and the 2009 even received the seal of approval from the VQA (but they rescinded it with the 2010 “Black Ball” Riesling). A muted petrol nose, and the palate is slightly off dry but balanced with decent acidity. It’s an enjoyable but not particularly complex Riesling. The NIagara region and PM specifically have come a long way in the intervening years.

I know that cheapies usually don't make it to this forum but I have been having a great summer guzzling (well, eagerly sipping) Roberston Winery Chenin Blanc 2019.  Rich citrus fruit, very crisp, with a hint of creaminess, it is a steal (relatively) at the LCBO at under $10.

Cottage wines on Thurs and Fri:

N.V. Diebolt-Vallois Champagne Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs

2011 Mongeard-Mugneret Savigny-lès-Beaune

2014 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Bianco Cuvée delle Vigne Niche Santo Spirito

2017 Azienda Agricola F. Tornatore Sicilia Etna Bianco

Saturday:

Someone brought a 2016 Dirty Laundry Gewürztraminer Woo Woo Vines that didn’t do much for me but was a crowd pleaser

2013 Pierre-Luc Bouchard Muscadet de Sevre-Et-Maine Sur Lie

2006 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova - excellent showing 

Tonight:

2001 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne

brucehayes posted:

I know that cheapies usually don't make it to this forum but I have been having a great summer guzzling (well, eagerly sipping) Roberston Winery Chenin Blanc 2019.  Rich citrus fruit, very crisp, with a hint of creaminess, it is a steal (relatively) at the LCBO at under $10.

Good call Bruce .  Now on sale for $8.45 Cdn.  Roll up the truck.  

2014 Chapoutier St. Joseph Les Granits Blanc.  Drinking really well.  Perfect match with scallops and especially homemade asparagus soup with parmesan.

2008 L'Apparita, meh.  Underwhelming.  Flat.  Not flawed, just not great.  Would be ok at $20.

Veuve NV Rose

2013 Nada Fiorenzo Barbaresco Manzola, delightful.  Big tar, rose, cherry nose.  Elegant & Burgundian on the palate.  Gripping but smooth tannins, typical of the vintage.  Drinking nicely now but sure to improve with age.   

sunnylea57 posted:
vincentric posted:

2008 L'Apparita, meh.  Underwhelming.  Flat.  Not flawed, just not great.  Would be ok at $20. 

That’s a shame, VinC. Think it was the vintage? Or does it need more time?

I don't know Sunny.  I was really surprised, given the rave reviews of other forumites we know.  It may have been poorly stored at some point.  The colour was a bit brickish on decant and the nose started off as raisiny.  On the palate - flat, lacking structure and fruit.  There were no obvious flaws, so my guess was either a bit advanced due to storage issues or bottle variation.   Perhaps vintage could be a factor, but I haven't had enough 2008 Tuscans to really say.  

2013 Nada Fiorenzo Barbaresco Manzola.  I picked up a few of these on the recommendation of someone who's palate I trust and popped one as a tester.  I'm glad I did.  This was delightful.  Big Nebbiolo nose of tar, rose, cherry off the start.  Feminine, Burgundian on the palate.  Grippy but smooth 2013 tannins.  Good complexity.  This is drinking nicely with the right food. (Went well with Alio e Olio Pasta) It's a bit early but fine with some decanting and lots of life ahead.  

With irwin, Rothko, and wives:

2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs

1988 Hermitage La Chapelle (Jaboulet)

1986 Mouton Rothschild

All showed extremely well. The Mouton is finally shedding its overcoat of tannin and letting the fruit shine.

Add Reply

Likes (0)