2018 Domaine Lafond, Tavel, Roc-Épine

Simple strawberry juice and a little too sweet.

2018 Domaine La Suffrene, Bandol, Rosé

Much better. The real deal, as usual for this producer. Strawberry, peach, floral and dry.

2016 CARM, Douro, Maria de Lourdes, Branco

2017 Joel Delaunay, Touraine, Chenonceaux, La Voute

The CARM was delicious. The Delaunay is a solid sauvignon blanc.

2013 Lapierre Morgon

2013 Foillard Morgon

The foillard was the more delicate expression but both were excellent.  They shared a nice sappiness to the fruit without any weight.

2014 Dirty & Rowdy familar.  These keep putting on weight with age surprisingly.  Lots of pomegranate against earthy mourvedre notes.

All great with BGE chicken.

2015 Kirkland Chianti Classico Riserva - picked up a bottle at Costco for $8.49, just for the fun of it.  A bit lacking in fruit, but no discernible flaws.  Just as good as most chianti that cost twice as much.  Wish I could have tried it with a pizza.

Rothko posted:

2015 Kirkland Chianti Classico Riserva - picked up a bottle at Costco for $8.49, just for the fun of it.  A bit lacking in fruit, but no discernible flaws.  Just as good as most chianti that cost twice as much.  Wish I could have tried it with a pizza.

Should've pulled the cork in the parking lot and grabbed a slice for a buck fifty

bomba503 posted:
Rothko posted:

Should've pulled the cork in the parking lot and grabbed a slice for a buck fifty

You are correct, sir.

NV Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Brut Reserve

Too much apple for my taste. In fact, I think liked the sparkler from Luxembourg (Massard) we had afterwards better. At one-third the price.

2014 Quinta do Romaneira, Douro, Reserva

Very tasty and should improve. Damn good QPR.

steve8 posted:

NV Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Brut Reserve

Too much apple for my taste. In fact, I think liked the sparkler from Luxembourg (Massard) we had afterwards better. At one-third the price.

Damn. I hope I have different tastes in champagne than you do.

2005 Erna Schein  Cabernet Sauvignon The Cemetary

Pretty good as long as you are drinking it with a piece of charred meat.  Dense bitter chocolate/cocoa, dried fruit, earthy with distinct sage notes.  Reminds me of other Behrens Family wines I have had.

2012 Neal Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

A young’un but surprisingly approachable with a PnP. Tannins are present but soft and dusty. No obvious oak. Good acidity. Concentrated (but not ripe or cloying) dark cherry and black fruit, plus mint and some eucalyptus on both the nose and palate. Good stuff.

At the lake: 

2014 Beaucastel Blanc, very nice, has put on some weight since release

1967 Dr. Perrin Barolo, good but a bit oxidized

2000 Clos du L'Oratoire, drinking nicely but a bit raisiny, not likely to improve imo

1971 Rossello Barolo - delightful.  Good red in the colour with brick, some red fruit along with classic tertiary notes.

Paul Dethune NV Rose Champagne - older bottle, showing a bit of oxidation. Good, not great.

2015 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie - big for a Fleurie and very primary dark berry fruit.  Needs time. 

vinoevelo posted:
andrez4zv posted:

2013 Lapierre Morgon.

2013 Foillard Morgon.

1967 Dr. Perrin Barolo, good but a bit oxidized.

También me gustan los vinos de España, y los encontré en 

2000 Clos du L'Oratoire, drinking nicely but a bit raisiny, not likely to improve imo. 

seems legit!

Was he hanging out with you, and then took a quick trip to join Vincentric at his cottage? 😤

I removed the link to his retail shop in Madrid in the quoted text so as not to further help him with his SEO reciprocal links strategy. 

2011 Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Shiraz Lieu Dit Malakoff

I wasn’t impressed with the last bottle I opened but it has really come a long way in the intervening 18 months. All that smoked meat, blood and olive I love in Northern Rhone and didn’t get previously from this Chapoutier Aussie project.

2016 Vini Rabasco Vino Rosato La Salita (Cerasuolo)

A natural wine, with wild yeasts and malo in bottle. Consequently, crazy bottle variation. I opened one with some of the local crew about 10 days ago and it was super cloudy and had a cider profile that overwhelmed everything else. Drinkable but mostly as a curiosity. I opened another bottle yesterday and it’s not cloudy at all, and the cider note is in the background. So much going on with this. A terrific, complex rosé.

sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
andrez4zv posted:

2013 Lapierre Morgon.

2013 Foillard Morgon.

2000 Clos du L'Oratoire, drinking nicely but a bit raisiny, not likely to improve imo. 

seems legit!

Was he hanging out with you, and then took a quick trip to join Vincentric at his cottage? 😤

I removed the link to his retail shop in Madrid in the quoted text so as not to further help him with his SEO reciprocal links strategy. 

WTF?  That's a new one for me on this forum.  Good catch Sunny!

sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
andrez4zv posted:

2013 Lapierre Morgon.

2013 Foillard Morgon.

seems legit!

WTF?  That's a new one for me on this forum.  Good catch Sunny!

Finishing up at the lake: 

1971 Rossello Barolo - beautiful - red colour turning to brick at edges.  Red fruit still showing plus tertiary notes of tobacco, leather.  This Barolo punched above expectations.  Wish I had multiples of this one rather than a single bottle. 

2009 Il Carbonaione - drinking really nicely

2016 Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis - nice

2008 Frattoria le Pupille Poggio Valente Morellino di Scanzano Riserva - probably as good as this will get.  Tertiary notes with ripe fruit still showing.  Very easy drinking. 

2013 Enzo Boglietti Barolo Boiolo - ok, not great.  Modern Barolo from La Morra.  

2017 mullineaux old vines white - gorgeous. everything i love about big waxy chenin with a bit more.  RobS - you need this.  I need more.

1997 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon  - Smoky funky cab fruit. Good acidty to balance. Bit of burnt sugar. Tannins integrated. Not the most complex cab but a nicely aged example. Wouldnt hold much longer.

2014 La Stoppa Trebbiolo Frizzante.  A rare clean bottle.  Mrs. VeV loved it.  Funky chilled frizzante red.  Was wonderful out of mason jars with ice cubes (the horror) over a game or two of bocce.

2006 Antonio Vallana Spanna Campi Raudii. All the nebbiolo notes, played an octave higher.  Well done.  Will never hit the heights of good barolo, but a lovely drink with smoked pork and bortolotti beans.

vinoevelo posted:

2017 mullineaux old vines white - gorgeous. everything i love about big waxy chenin with a bit more.  RobS - you need this.  I need more.

1997 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon  - Smoky funky cab fruit. Good acidty to balance. Bit of burnt sugar. Tannins integrated. Not the most complex cab but a nicely aged example. Wouldnt hold much longer.

2014 La Stoppa Trebbiolo Frizzante.  A rare clean bottle.  Mrs. VeV loved it.  Funky chilled frizzante red.  Was wonderful out of mason jars with ice cubes (the horror) over a game or two of bocce.

2006 Antonio Vallana Spanna Campi Raudii. All the nebbiolo notes, played an octave higher.  Well done.  Will never hit the heights of good barolo, but a lovely drink with smoked pork and bortolotti beans.

La Stoppa make a white Malvasia frizzante that is an absolute steal

Will try to catch up on a few epic days of golf and wine. Dinner at Water Grill in Costa Mesa after 18 holes at Arroyo Trabuco. Wines in no particular order

2016 Kongsgaard Chardonnay

2010 Mondavi I-block Sauv Blanc

2017 Aubert Lauren Chardonnay

2017 Aubert Sugar Shack Chardonnay

1975 Louis Martini Cabernet sauvignon

2000 Unico

2004 Unico

1992 Dunn Petit Syrah

1978 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

2011 SQN The Moment

1994 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon

Last minute at my place with great food (felt like cooking)...

2002 Cristal
2011 Domaine Marc Morey & Fils Bâtard-Montrachet
2015 Domaine de L'Arlot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots
1990 Chateau Montrose
1999 Chateau Haut Brion
1982 Chateau Suduiraut

All were good!

Great dinner with a couple other forumites Tuesday night at Juniper & Ivy. Interesting wine list but all the reds were priced high and too young. Then we found 375s of Krug on the list for $95. Ordered one and damn it was good! Took another look at the list, nothing jumped out so we ordered another Krug. Damn it was good! Took another look at the list, nothing jumped out so we ordered another Krug. Damn it was good! Took another look at the list, nothing jumped out so we ordered another Krug. Damn it was good! 

Solid Thursday night dinner with another couple who had a 10 week old daughter. Reminded me how much more I love babies than my own pre-teens!

2014 Plumpjack Reserve Chardonnay 

2013 Force Majuere Viogner

2010 Bodegas LAN Gran Reserva

2015 Peay Syrah Les Titans

azwiese posted:

Solid Thursday night dinner with another couple who had a 10 week old daughter. Reminded me how much more I love babies than my own pre-teens!

How was the Les Titans? Andy Peay was actually in town Wed night pouring the 16 with some others. Had to pass after the Krug over indulgence

Had a Rasa Wine Dinner at our club last night, with the following:

2017 Composer Riesling
2017 The Dream Deferred Chardonnay
2016 QED Axiom of Choice Cabernet Franc
2016 For Love of the Game Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Perfect Union Red Blend

Billo was there and presented each wine as dinner moved along.  It was a great dinner and the wines were excellent.  Picked up a six pack each of the Cabernet Sauvignon and Perfect Union.

thelostverse posted:

Had a Rasa Wine Dinner at our club last night, with the following:

2017 Composer Riesling
2017 The Dream Deferred Chardonnay
2016 QED Axiom of Choice Cabernet Franc
2016 For Love of the Game Cabernet Sauvignon
2014 Perfect Union Red Blend

Billo was there and presented each wine as dinner moved along.  It was a great dinner and the wines were excellent.  Picked up a six pack each of the Cabernet Sauvignon and Perfect Union.

Nice. Rasa was our favorite visit in Walla Walla when we went in 2012. I can’t recall which brother was pouring but he was very friendly and engaging.

Finally far enough out of the fog to get this out. Saturday with visiting forumites starting with beach time on Balboa Island, 9 holes at Ben Brown and dinner in private room at Il Barone. Wines included:

1975 Il Poggione Riserva BDM

2004 Valdicava Madonna Riserva BDM

2004 Valdicava BDM

2016 Macdonald Cabernet

1983 (?) Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

2011 E Guigal La Doriane Condrieu

1994 (?) Fisher Cabernet Lamb Vineyard

1997 Opus One Magnum

2015 Carte Blanche Cabernet

2014 Rhys Chardonnay (not certain of vintage or vineyard)

1999 Monbosquet

1981 Dunn HM Cab

2009 Belle Epoque Rose

2009 Hanzell Chardonnay

A couple vintage grower champagnes I didnt catch name of

A killer Brunate I didnt get name of

2011 Chateau Guiraud Sauterne

California's finest

My stand outs were Madonna, Dunn, Diamond Creek, Macdonald and Opus in no particular order. Will edit if I can get some corrections

bomba503 posted:
azwiese posted:

How was the Les Titans? Andy Peay was actually in town Wed night pouring the 16 with some others. Had to pass after the Krug over indulgence

Really liked it. It’s actually the second bottle I’ve had this month. Great mouthfeel, just soft and silky, with really nice dark red fruit. The savory aspect of the wine was subtle.  After knocking out two, I’m hoping to keep my last bottle a while and see how it develops. 

2014 Machete-  good wine but not worthy of the 96 points it was awarded.  Not nearly as good as the Robert Rodriguez movie.

Bought some aged Turley zinfandels at auction recently for about $20/ bottle.  Tried the first one- a 2002 Juveniles Zinfandel last night and it was terrific. Shed a little of its fruit bombiness (it sounded better than fruit bombivity), and picked up some earthiness, with a little spice/pepper on the finish.

2011 Elio Sandri Barolo Perno Riserva - Excellent, a big full but balanced and not overpowering Barolo.  Drinking really well.

2011 Cigliuti Barbaresco Vie Erte - Excellent as well.  A bit lighter in body than the Sandri, showing more red fruit plus some tobacco, leather notes.  

billhike posted:

8B34A239-D2BC-4602-99D2-DCBC1BB1CB62CFB18932-319C-4948-94B7-912388D9E1C2456F916F-8FF4-4AFA-AD24-5DE01B08E6D7D1963A4C-6CFB-45CC-8B50-3F1AF859D2E4

Unfortunately, the pictures don't include the mag of NV Bruno Paillard Champagne Brut Premiere Cuvée, the 2012 Louis Nicaise Champagne Premier Cru Brut Millésimé or the Carneros/Taittinger Sparking wine that J3 brought. 

What the pictures represent are the blind tasting that we did at my house Saturday night to welcome Steve8 back to town.  Otis in the past has hosted "Steak-Outs" and we borrowed his theme to taste some blind reds that were tasted during a grilled steak dinner.

Present were Steve8, J3, Mr. and Mrs. Blue Oval, Mr. and Mrs. Billhike, Mr. and Mrs. Otis, Dantherhonefan and his significant other, Mrs. TLV and myself.

In order of tasting we had:
2010 Cayuse Syrah Carlowe Vineyard (tie 6th)
2005 Chateau Pavie Macquin St. Emilion Grand Cru (tie 6th)
2001 Domaine de la Janasse CdP (5th)
2012 Grassini Family Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Barbara (1st)
2010 Pegau CdP Cuvee Reservee (8th)
2001 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon Napa (9th)
2007 Tua Rita Giusto di Notri Toscana IGT (3rd)
2007 Match Cabernet Butterdragon Hill (2nd)
2015 Once & Future Zinfandel Bedrock Vine (4th)

There were also several other whites opened during the evening, including the 2012 Thanisch Bernkasteler Graben Riesling Spatlese and the 2001 Rieussec. 

Not a bad bottle in the bunch - you know it's a good night of drinking when a 2001 Togni is the 9th place bottle.  I found it interesting that it placed 9th, but once it was revealed, it was one of the first bottles emptied - and it was a magnum.  Blind tasting can be revealing and humbling.  Also interesting to me at least was that my votes were for the Tua Rita, Match and Once & Future Zin, in that order - and I don't particularly care for Italian wine, (it makes up for only 0.4% of my cellar).

Thanks to all who came and your generous wine contributions, especially Steve8 who definitely traveled the farthest, and had an awful travel day back yesterday. 

Until next time...

mimik posted:
billhike posted:

I got lazy with my post - guilty as charged! 

Thanks again for hosting, and to everyone for the great wine contribution. Good to see Steve again! 

What wine did Steve8 bring?  The Spatlese or the Cayuse maybe?

The 05 Pavie I believe.

billhike posted:
mimik posted:
billhike posted:

Thanks again for hosting, and to everyone for the great wine contribution. Good to see Steve again! 

The 05 Pavie I believe.

That is correct and it was easily my least favourite wine. More Brett than the #5 KC Royals uniform hanging in the baseball HOF. Just another reason why I have zero interest in Boredeaux.

My #1 of the blind reds was the Grassini, which I'd never even heard of before Saturday, followed by the Cayuse and the Janasse. Funny thing is I pegged the Janasse as a nebbiolo.

Great evening and it was good to see everyone again. Thanks to the TLV's for hosting and the hospitality.

As for my return trip, to be fair I've had worse days at airports as I did make it home on Sunday night, although just barely. Last stand-by seat on the last flight of the day.

When I did get home I needed a drink so I opened the 2012 Varner Bee Block Chardonnay which we never got to on Saturday night. Superb bottle of chard. Glad I have a couple more.

steve8 posted:
billhike posted:
mimik posted:
billhike posted:

The 05 Pavie I believe.

That is correct and it was easily my least favourite wine. More Brett than the #5 KC Royals uniform hanging in the baseball HOF. Just another reason why I have zero interest in Boredeaux.

My #1 of the blind reds was the Grassini, which I'd never even heard of before Saturday, followed by the Cayuse and the Janasse. Funny thing is I pegged the Janasse as a nebbiolo.

Great evening and it was good to see everyone again. Thanks to the TLV's for hosting and the hospitality.

As for my return trip, to be fair I've had worse days at airports as I did make it home on Sunday night, although just barely. Last stand-by seat on the last flight of the day.

When I did get home I needed a drink so I opened the 2012 Varner Bee Block Chardonnay which we never got to on Saturday night. Superb bottle of chard. Glad I have a couple more.

The 2005 Pavie is a monster of a wine, and very modern. Surprised you had a bottle. In any case, if you are offloading Bordeaux, I might be your man.

Last night at dinner with my wife and a few friends:

2011 Poggerino Brut

2017 Montenidoli Rosato of Canaiolo 

2017 Il Poggione Rossi di Montalcino 

2008 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino - this was fantastic. Probably another two or three years from the tannins being fully integrated, but wow. Gorgeous nose of dark cherries and leather.

And back at my place for a closer, 2008 Azelia Barolo. Nice enough, but not my cup of tea. Like Bordeaux, once the remaining Baroli I have are consumed, they are unlikely to be replaced.

steve8 posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2012 Carpineto Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva

Drinking well. Paired well with spag bol.

I really like this wine. Always solid and ages well. For some reason I don't have any of the 2012. :-(

I had two bottles, and my CT doesn't show where I got them but I presume it was the LCBO. Which I'd bought more.

2003 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra 

Throwing sediment like crazy. A whiff of oaky balsamic on the nose but no balsamic or soy or brown sugar on the palate. Intense dark cherry liqueur and intense tannins. Not sure which will win out in the long run, the fruit or the tannins, but they balance each other out at the moment, the tannins keeping the 2003 ripeness in check. Did I mention that it’s intense?

2013 Hamilton Russell, Chardonnay

Outstanding. Beautiful golden yellow colour. Drink or hold, but why?

2013 Pearl Morissette, Pinot Noir, Twenty Mile Bench

Still young. If I had anymore I would hold.

2016 Venus La Universal, Montsant, Dido (red)

Excellent, but also young. I wasn't planning to open this so soon, but I noticed one of the bottles was leaking. Decided it was probably better to drink it now.

Last night, brought to friend’s house while bogarting their patio and fire pit:

2018 Little Wings Little Pink Moonbeams Rose

2015 Little Wings Syrah (drinking fantastically with balanced acid and dark berries, white pepper, alder smoke)

NV La Cle de la Femme Champagne 

And today with lunch, 2018 Esprit de Gassier Rose

billhike posted:

Last night, brought to friend’s house while bogarting their patio and fire pit:

2018 Little Wings Little Pink Moonbeams Rose

2015 Little Wings Syrah (drinking fantastically with balanced acid and dark berries, white pepper, alder smoke)

NV La Cle de la Femme Champagne 

And today with lunch, 2018 Esprit de Gassier Rose

Jorge would be happy to hear--  if he still reads this forum.

2009 Pearl Morissette Riesling

The first vintage of PM’s Riesling. A library release. First, I’m glad they nixed the stupid black wax capsule. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I hate struggling for five minutes to open a bottle of wine. Are you listening, Dunn?

The wine is probably as varietally correct as PM gets - and the 2009 even received the seal of approval from the VQA (but they rescinded it with the 2010 “Black Ball” Riesling). A muted petrol nose, and the palate is slightly off dry but balanced with decent acidity. It’s an enjoyable but not particularly complex Riesling. The NIagara region and PM specifically have come a long way in the intervening years.

I know that cheapies usually don't make it to this forum but I have been having a great summer guzzling (well, eagerly sipping) Roberston Winery Chenin Blanc 2019.  Rich citrus fruit, very crisp, with a hint of creaminess, it is a steal (relatively) at the LCBO at under $10.

Cottage wines on Thurs and Fri:

N.V. Diebolt-Vallois Champagne Cuvée Prestige Blanc de Blancs

2011 Mongeard-Mugneret Savigny-lès-Beaune

2014 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Bianco Cuvée delle Vigne Niche Santo Spirito

2017 Azienda Agricola F. Tornatore Sicilia Etna Bianco

Saturday:

Someone brought a 2016 Dirty Laundry Gewürztraminer Woo Woo Vines that didn’t do much for me but was a crowd pleaser

2013 Pierre-Luc Bouchard Muscadet de Sevre-Et-Maine Sur Lie

2006 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova - excellent showing 

Tonight:

2001 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne

Add Reply

Likes (0)