2018 Domaine Lafond, Tavel, Roc-Épine

Simple strawberry juice and a little too sweet.

2018 Domaine La Suffrene, Bandol, Rosé

Much better. The real deal, as usual for this producer. Strawberry, peach, floral and dry.

2016 CARM, Douro, Maria de Lourdes, Branco

2017 Joel Delaunay, Touraine, Chenonceaux, La Voute

The CARM was delicious. The Delaunay is a solid sauvignon blanc.

2013 Lapierre Morgon

2013 Foillard Morgon

The foillard was the more delicate expression but both were excellent.  They shared a nice sappiness to the fruit without any weight.

2014 Dirty & Rowdy familar.  These keep putting on weight with age surprisingly.  Lots of pomegranate against earthy mourvedre notes.

All great with BGE chicken.

2015 Kirkland Chianti Classico Riserva - picked up a bottle at Costco for $8.49, just for the fun of it.  A bit lacking in fruit, but no discernible flaws.  Just as good as most chianti that cost twice as much.  Wish I could have tried it with a pizza.

Rothko posted:

2015 Kirkland Chianti Classico Riserva - picked up a bottle at Costco for $8.49, just for the fun of it.  A bit lacking in fruit, but no discernible flaws.  Just as good as most chianti that cost twice as much.  Wish I could have tried it with a pizza.

Should've pulled the cork in the parking lot and grabbed a slice for a buck fifty

bomba503 posted:
Rothko posted:

Should've pulled the cork in the parking lot and grabbed a slice for a buck fifty

You are correct, sir.

NV Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Brut Reserve

Too much apple for my taste. In fact, I think liked the sparkler from Luxembourg (Massard) we had afterwards better. At one-third the price.

2014 Quinta do Romaneira, Douro, Reserva

Very tasty and should improve. Damn good QPR.

steve8 posted:

NV Leclerc-Briant, Champagne, Brut Reserve

Too much apple for my taste. In fact, I think liked the sparkler from Luxembourg (Massard) we had afterwards better. At one-third the price.

Damn. I hope I have different tastes in champagne than you do.

2005 Erna Schein  Cabernet Sauvignon The Cemetary

Pretty good as long as you are drinking it with a piece of charred meat.  Dense bitter chocolate/cocoa, dried fruit, earthy with distinct sage notes.  Reminds me of other Behrens Family wines I have had.

2012 Neal Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

A young’un but surprisingly approachable with a PnP. Tannins are present but soft and dusty. No obvious oak. Good acidity. Concentrated (but not ripe or cloying) dark cherry and black fruit, plus mint and some eucalyptus on both the nose and palate. Good stuff.

At the lake: 

2014 Beaucastel Blanc, very nice, has put on some weight since release

1967 Dr. Perrin Barolo, good but a bit oxidized

2000 Clos du L'Oratoire, drinking nicely but a bit raisiny, not likely to improve imo

1971 Rossello Barolo - delightful.  Good red in the colour with brick, some red fruit along with classic tertiary notes.

Paul Dethune NV Rose Champagne - older bottle, showing a bit of oxidation. Good, not great.

2015 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie - big for a Fleurie and very primary dark berry fruit.  Needs time. 

vinoevelo posted:
andrez4zv posted:

2013 Lapierre Morgon.

2013 Foillard Morgon.

1967 Dr. Perrin Barolo, good but a bit oxidized.

También me gustan los vinos de España, y los encontré en 

2000 Clos du L'Oratoire, drinking nicely but a bit raisiny, not likely to improve imo. 

seems legit!

Was he hanging out with you, and then took a quick trip to join Vincentric at his cottage? 😤

I removed the link to his retail shop in Madrid in the quoted text so as not to further help him with his SEO reciprocal links strategy. 

2011 Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Shiraz Lieu Dit Malakoff

I wasn’t impressed with the last bottle I opened but it has really come a long way in the intervening 18 months. All that smoked meat, blood and olive I love in Northern Rhone and didn’t get previously from this Chapoutier Aussie project.

2016 Vini Rabasco Vino Rosato La Salita (Cerasuolo)

A natural wine, with wild yeasts and malo in bottle. Consequently, crazy bottle variation. I opened one with some of the local crew about 10 days ago and it was super cloudy and had a cider profile that overwhelmed everything else. Drinkable but mostly as a curiosity. I opened another bottle yesterday and it’s not cloudy at all, and the cider note is in the background. So much going on with this. A terrific, complex rosé.

sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
andrez4zv posted:

2013 Lapierre Morgon.

2013 Foillard Morgon.

2000 Clos du L'Oratoire, drinking nicely but a bit raisiny, not likely to improve imo. 

seems legit!

Was he hanging out with you, and then took a quick trip to join Vincentric at his cottage? 😤

I removed the link to his retail shop in Madrid in the quoted text so as not to further help him with his SEO reciprocal links strategy. 

WTF?  That's a new one for me on this forum.  Good catch Sunny!

sunnylea57 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
andrez4zv posted:

2013 Lapierre Morgon.

2013 Foillard Morgon.

seems legit!

WTF?  That's a new one for me on this forum.  Good catch Sunny!

Finishing up at the lake: 

1971 Rossello Barolo - beautiful - red colour turning to brick at edges.  Red fruit still showing plus tertiary notes of tobacco, leather.  This Barolo punched above expectations.  Wish I had multiples of this one rather than a single bottle. 

2009 Il Carbonaione - drinking really nicely

2016 Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis - nice

2008 Frattoria le Pupille Poggio Valente Morellino di Scanzano Riserva - probably as good as this will get.  Tertiary notes with ripe fruit still showing.  Very easy drinking. 

2013 Enzo Boglietti Barolo Boiolo - ok, not great.  Modern Barolo from La Morra.  

2017 mullineaux old vines white - gorgeous. everything i love about big waxy chenin with a bit more.  RobS - you need this.  I need more.

1997 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon  - Smoky funky cab fruit. Good acidty to balance. Bit of burnt sugar. Tannins integrated. Not the most complex cab but a nicely aged example. Wouldnt hold much longer.

2014 La Stoppa Trebbiolo Frizzante.  A rare clean bottle.  Mrs. VeV loved it.  Funky chilled frizzante red.  Was wonderful out of mason jars with ice cubes (the horror) over a game or two of bocce.

2006 Antonio Vallana Spanna Campi Raudii. All the nebbiolo notes, played an octave higher.  Well done.  Will never hit the heights of good barolo, but a lovely drink with smoked pork and bortolotti beans.

vinoevelo posted:

2017 mullineaux old vines white - gorgeous. everything i love about big waxy chenin with a bit more.  RobS - you need this.  I need more.

1997 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon  - Smoky funky cab fruit. Good acidty to balance. Bit of burnt sugar. Tannins integrated. Not the most complex cab but a nicely aged example. Wouldnt hold much longer.

2014 La Stoppa Trebbiolo Frizzante.  A rare clean bottle.  Mrs. VeV loved it.  Funky chilled frizzante red.  Was wonderful out of mason jars with ice cubes (the horror) over a game or two of bocce.

2006 Antonio Vallana Spanna Campi Raudii. All the nebbiolo notes, played an octave higher.  Well done.  Will never hit the heights of good barolo, but a lovely drink with smoked pork and bortolotti beans.

La Stoppa make a white Malvasia frizzante that is an absolute steal

Will try to catch up on a few epic days of golf and wine. Dinner at Water Grill in Costa Mesa after 18 holes at Arroyo Trabuco. Wines in no particular order

2016 Kongsgaard Chardonnay

2010 Mondavi I-block Sauv Blanc

2017 Aubert Lauren Chardonnay

2017 Aubert Sugar Shack Chardonnay

1975 Louis Martini Cabernet sauvignon

2000 Unico

2004 Unico

1992 Dunn Petit Syrah

1978 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

2011 SQN The Moment

1994 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon

Last minute at my place with great food (felt like cooking)...

2002 Cristal
2011 Domaine Marc Morey & Fils Bâtard-Montrachet
2015 Domaine de L'Arlot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots
1990 Chateau Montrose
1999 Chateau Haut Brion
1982 Chateau Suduiraut

All were good!

Add Reply

Likes (0)