merengue posted:

2008 Domaine Serene Evenstad pinot noir. I recall seeing a not from Seaquam? recently stating concern for the lack of fruit. My bottle had tons of fruit, still felt like it can go many more years.

Glad to hear that, Merengue.  I was totally surprised by this wine a couple of weeks ago, and am thinking based on your comment that perhaps it was just an off bottle. I still have one more, and expect to open it sooner rather than later, so I'm hoping it'll be like yours. 

NV Henriot Champagne Brut Souverain. Of the high-production houses with wide distribution, this is easily one of our favorites. It took some warming up to get to a nice firm, toasty flavor with minerals, apple and citrus. Bought a couple on sale for $30 this past weekend. 

Haven't posted in this thread for a while, so some catching up on some highlights...

2009 Paolo Scavino Cannubi - drinking well

2009 Silvio Grasso Barolo Annunziata Vigna Picotti - drinking well

2016 Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis - always great

1964 Terre del Barolo Barolo Riserva Speciale - amazing

1964 Terre del Barolo Barolo Riserva Speciale - 2 for 2 outstanding.  Sweet red cherries, burgundian character.  Beautiful.  Amazing colour for its age.

1998 Jacquart Brut - wonderful, full, mature notes but not oxidized.

1975 Suduiraut, has developed since last bottle but only getting better with more age.  Great dock wine!

1996 Cicala  - pooced, over the hill.  Second bottle like this, from different sources, years apart.  First time I thought 'storage issues', second time I'm wondering if its just not a great vintage for Cicala.

2004 Chiara Boschis Cannubi - over the hill. Likely poor storage (from an Enoteca in Monforte d'Alba)

2006 Ornellaia - wonderful.

2006 Parusso Barolo LeCoste Monforte - has developed since last bottle and drinking beautifully now. 

1996 Luigi Pira Barolo Marenca - sublime.  In a great spot, probably at peak. 

2013 L'Ecole 41 Walla Walla Cab Sauv - drinking really nicely despite its youth

1997 Dante Rivetti Barbaresco Bricco de Neueis Riserva - over the hill, oxidized imo. Seems like a warm vintage nebbiolo with too much age.  

2013 Bersano Barolo Nirvasco - lighter in body than the 2010 but still a great qpr Barolo for early/mid drinking

2001 Cos d'Estournel - solidly into its drinking window. 

Bytown Rick posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2013 Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay

Nice fat mouth feel. Citrus fruit plus a reductive struck match note.

OK.  But you liked it?

I did like this bottle. I like a little struck match as long as it's not overwhelming the fruit.

I've had 3 bottles of this so far and they've been inconsistent. The first had strong orange rind and warm vanilla notes. The second was "meh" - although I don't recall why. This one was the best.

sunnylea57 posted:

2014 Norman Hardie Pinot Noir Unfiltered

Had a couple of these lingering in the cellar. Can’t bring myself to dumping them. It’s actually one of the better Ontario Pinots I’ve tried - although the taste is now and forever tainted by his actions.

I bought a bunch of the 2015 Unfiltered Chardonnay at a substantial discount when the LCBO was dumping his wines recently.  The critics reviews seemed quite positive ("surprising amount of fruit on display... ripe stone fruit notes... balanced acids and big flavour depth"), so I figured it would be a good value purchase.  

I would generally agree about the big fruit flavour, but I also found it to be flabby and lacking in structure, so much so that I did not find it enjoyable.  The remaining bottles have been moved down to the boathouse fridge waiting on some unsuspecting guest.

otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Had a couple of these lingering in the cellar. Can’t bring myself to dumping them. It’s actually one of the better Ontario Pinots I’ve tried - although the taste is now and forever tainted by his actions.

I bought a bunch of the 2015 Unfiltered Chardonnay at a substantial discount when the LCBO was dumping his wines recently.  The critics reviews seemed quite positive ("surprising amount of fruit on display... ripe stone fruit notes... balanced acids and big flavour depth"), so I figured it would be a good value purchase.  

I would generally agree about the big fruit flavour, but I also found it to be flabby and lacking in structure, so much so that I did not find it enjoyable.  The remaining bottles have been moved down to the boathouse fridge waiting on some unsuspecting guest.

Fish food?

i haven't tried the Hardie Chard, but now I'll be sure to avoid it.

sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Fish food?

i haven't tried the Hardie Chard, but now I'll be sure to avoid it.

I am in no way condoning what he is alleged to have done.  It is unacceptable now and was unacceptable then.

But Hardie made some nice wines, and nudged Canada up on the worldwide wine stage.  I prefer the Prince Edward County wines to the ones from Niagara, and the 2013 Chardonnay is a favourite.  Lemons and apples, long finish.  Drinking well now, and over the next few years.

Last night we had some friends from SF join us for dinner at the nearby fish shack, with

- 2002 Bollinger Grande Année-- beautiful gold colour, rich in texture, good acidity, a bit of hazelnut on the long finish, excellent and time to drink

- 2008 Marc Brocard Chablis Les Clos-- pale, light but intense, citrus, mineral, very clean, textbook Chablis, very nice but not remarkable

- 2012 Hamilton Russell Chardonnay-- another beautiful golden wine, esp. when viewed next to the Chablis; rich ripe fruit nose, lots of apple, honey, mineral, very silky, long finish, lovely wine. I remain grateful to DoktaP for posting about this wine in these forums, because it's been a true bargain for a Chardonnay of this quality IMHO. I still have at least a couple from each vintage 2011-2015, and more than a case of the 2016 which we love.

Add Reply

Likes (0)