theoldman posted:
g-man posted:

1982 Leoville Barton

1998 Leoville Barton

How cool. 98 is my daughter's birth year; I've put something away, but wouldn't mind options. Could you rate them?

the 82' was fully mature, if even perhaps over the hill if one likes semblance of richer fruit on the palate.  It had a lovely nose of fine blue cheese with a touch of cocoa.  The palate had that taste of bic pen ink that rounds out with dark cocoa nibs and a touch of blackberries on the finish.

the 98' was dusty, brawny wine that had a nose of rich crushed blackberries with hints of ground allspice.  An incredibly lovely mouthfeel of smooth richness showing off currants, wet tobacco leaf and a long lingering finish of blackberries.

both were different but lovely wines.

Last night with Mimik, KSC02 and our so's.

2017 Domaine La Suffrene, Bandol, Rosé

NV    Geoffroy, Champagne, Expression

2002 Louis Brochet, Champagne, Cuvée HbH

2004 Lopez de Heredia, Rioja Bianco, Tondonia

2015 Fournier Père et Fils, Sancerre, Les Belles Vignes

1990 Moulin Touchais, Coteaux du Layon

2004 Alion, RdD

No dogs. The Alion is young, as usual. The LdH Tondonia was really excellent. The previously unknown to me Brochet was also excellent. The Moulin Touchais was also excellent and really worked well with the Indian food.

Last night with Italian-style veal chop, rack of lamb, assorted pastas and antipasti, we had

- 2014 Billaud-Simon Chablis Les Clos -- young, tight, but after about 45 min. lots of apple, citrus, mineral, joined later by hints of honey, excellent acidity; probably needs another 2-3 years to develop into something really special

- 2004 Greppicaia Bolgheri -- lots of plum and mineral, silky and light on the palate but intense, with a very long finish with just a hint of fine tannins at the end, seems to be wide open now and should stay that way for a few more years 

2016 Comando G La Bruja de Rozas - pale/translucent red. nose is worth the price of admission alone. cracked black pepper, olive brine & leather, some earthy/herbal notes that follow through on the palate wrapped around a core of cherry.  Really enjoyed this.

Add Reply

Likes (0)