August 2018: What are you drinking?

With Steve8 last night:

- 2002 H Billiot Champagne GC Brut

- 2011 Leeuwin Chardonnay Art Series

- 2009 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard

- 2007 Beaucastel Blanc Vieilles VIgnes

- 1977 Dow Vintage Port

- Remy Martin Cognac XO

A glass of the latter did me in. Never again!

Until next time, anyway.

g-man posted:

2013 Anthill farms Harmony vineyards.

A great tart cherry pinot with notes of ground earthy spices with bright midbody that lingers around with a sweet bark bitterness on the finish.

Where can I get my hands on some sweet bark with bitterness on the finish. Asking for a friend

seaquam posted:

With Steve8 last night:

- 1977 Dow Vintage Port

- Remy Martin Cognac XO

Until next time, anyway.

Nice stuff. Was Steve8 visiting or were you?

seaquam posted:

Steve was in Vancouver.

But funny you should ask, Mim. Mrs. S and I will be in your town Sept 30 - Oct 4. I was going to post about this in the Offlines forum in a couple of weeks, but I guess the cat’s out of the bag now, eh?😀

That would awesome!! Keep us posted !!

seaquam posted:

With Steve8 last night:

- 1977 Dow Vintage Port

- Remy Martin Cognac XO

Until next time, anyway.

Wonderful evening with great friends. Thank you Seaq & S.

The 3 whites and the Billiot were all outstanding. Hard pressed to pick the best, I think I would lean to the Beaucastel.

Even though Dow is probably my favourite VP, for my tastes this '77 was a little past it's best before date. It was a very good way to finish the meal with a little Stilton.  

mangiare posted:

2009 Domaine Billaud-Simon Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu
1999 D'Alceo
1988 Cos D'Estournel
1997 Altesino Montosoli 

How did the Montosoli show? We had one and the regular at the annual trip both in magnums. Montosoli was very good while regular was tired. Wondering what your experience was?

Last night, a bottle of 2008 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve, which surprisingly and unfortunately has faded from its previous glory, silky but short on fruit. This was my next to last of 8 bottles, stored well, and I expected it to hold, if not improve, for a few more years. I'll open the last one soon.

On a different note, the restaurant where we went had a dish of linguini with Saskatchewan chanterelles and fresh corn. The chanterelles were small and quite intensely flavoured, possibly the best I've ever had. I didn't even know that they grew in Saskatchewan, and they're much better than the ones I can source locally. Also an unusual time of year to see chanterelles on menus or in markets (usually spring or fall).

bomba503 posted:
mangiare posted:

1999 D'Alceo
1988 Cos D'Estournel
1997 Altesino Montosoli 

How did the Montosoli show? We had one and the regular at the annual trip both in magnums. Montosoli was very good while regular was tired. Wondering what your experience was?

The Montosoli was fab. In a lovely spot with beautiful sweet tannins and luscious fruit. The best of the three reds, and there were no slouches in that department, so that’s saying a lot.

sunnylea57 posted:
bomba503 posted:
mangiare posted:

1999 D'Alceo
1988 Cos D'Estournel
1997 Altesino Montosoli 

The Montosoli was fab. In a lovely spot with beautiful sweet tannins and luscious fruit. The best of the three reds, and there were no slouches in that department, so that’s saying a lot.

Absolutely agree. The Montosoli is absolutely singing right now. 

we also drank a 2010 Girardin Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Les Murgers des Dents de Chien

I was boxing the empties last night and there was still 1/3 of the Cos left in an open bottle. Thought I'd give it a taste and shockingly it was still in good shape and I might even say, slightly better than Saturday night. 

Bytown Rick posted:

2004 Grosset-Hill Smith Mesh Riesling.  Yummy.

These seem to be holding up very nicely.  I brought one to a restaurant earlier in the summer and thought it was the best yet.

We had it with Ethiopian/Eritrean food and thought it paired really well.

Saturday evening, 2015 Lafond Tavel Roc Epine, a very nice Rosé, and 2012 William Fevre Chablis Montee de Tonnerre, which has excellent citrusy acidity,  very mineral, and very long finish, outstanding Chablis.

Last night with grilled burgers, 2006 Phelps Insignia, which was very good but far from great, nice dark fruit but almost overshadowed by earthiness and a green, leafy element, long finish with plenty of tannin at the end.  Much better with food than without. Might still improve, if the fruit can outlive a lot of the tannin.

Add Reply

Likes (0)