Skip to main content

I always thought Standing Stone made a good Gewurztraminer for the price. Haven’t had one in years, though.  Again, if this was 2002 I’d recommend Red Newt as well. Hermann J Weimer is probably still a must. That and Dr. Konstantin Frank (which is a reasonable drive away) are the two wineries that were really garnering attention outside the immediate region 18 years ago. 

@winetarelli posted:

I always thought Standing Stone made a good Gewurztraminer for the price. Haven’t had one in years, though.  Again, if this was 2002 I’d recommend Red Newt as well. Hermann J Weimer is probably still a must. That and Dr. Konstantin Frank (which is a reasonable drive away) are the two wineries that were really garnering attention outside the immediate region 18 years ago. 

Standing Stone is "ok," but not great.  Red Newt I've visited 5 or 6 times and not been impressed.  They emphasize a "vibe" now, rather than the wine.  Silver Thread, on the eastern side of Seneca is pretty good.  Very hardworking and sincere.  Good wines. The people at K. Frank are great.  I know them and Wiemer.  Also fine people and good wines.  Wiemer's winemaker is, last time I checked, the same as before Hermann sold it.

@haggis posted:

Standing Stone is "ok," but not great.  Red Newt I've visited 5 or 6 times and not been impressed.  They emphasize a "vibe" now, rather than the wine.  Silver Thread, on the eastern side of Seneca is pretty good.  Very hardworking and sincere.  Good wines. The people at K. Frank are great.  I know them and Wiemer.  Also fine people and good wines.  Wiemer's winemaker is, last time I checked, the same as before Hermann sold it.

Thanks.  I'm an expert of Finger Lakes wine... circa 2003.  But I don't think I've had any since 2005, so I'm always interested to read what has changed, and what hasn't.

i did not mention Forge, or Frank as the person only wanted Seneca lake wines.  Look at the search function, and there are many threads listing off wines in the Finger Lakes Region, primarily Seneca, Keuka and Canandaigua lakes.  I would suggest wandering a bit in the area as it is God's Country, and easy to cross between these three lakes

@csm posted:

Cool.  You said you didn't include it because the OP was requesting only Seneca Lake wineries, so I thought you might not have known, but you clearly have much local knowledge. 

Like it is close to a 100 mile trip around the lake!   FLWINO  can stand for "Finger Lakes"  or "Florida".   Have not kept up with area since 2013 when my mother died, and have not been back up that way, or really following the wineries.

Last edited by flwino

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.