Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I just heard that Helen Frankenthalar died.

She had a major influence in the art capital of the world ( NYC) for decades.

She was a NYC native, and born into a privileged lifestyle, and her relationship with Greenberg and marriage to Motherwell did not hurt matters either.
I think of Morris Louis when I hear her name; he no doubt was influenced by her work. Although the transparent nature of the medium and style used by both is not my cup of tea, there is no denying its importance.

Now, I'm off to stretch a canvas and paint with bold tenacity and color! Big Grin


MJ, no debate about it, Louis was influence by Helen.

I also agree the color field genre never demanded my attention, but it was a serious movement nevertheless.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Her ass caused $10k in damage. Red Face

Having read the article, I'm under the impression (no pun intended) it was the intial impact to the canvas (stretch?) than rubbing her butt against the work.
The $$ amount of "Damage" is clearly a number pulled out of said Art dealer's a** Roll Eyes


I can only imagine what Warhol would have done if she had rubbed her ass against one of his works. ( see Dennis Hopper & Warhol) Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I can only imagine what Warhol would have done if she had rubbed her ass against one of his works. ( see Dennis Hopper & Warhol) Big Grin

Perfect case in point, w+a. This painting now has a notariety that it otherwise would never have. There's an entire stigma to it. It will profit as a result. I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of Warhol, I recall (about 13 yrs ago) back being offered several of his infamous Piss Paintings.
Urrr...no thanks
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I can only imagine what Warhol would have done if she had rubbed her ass against one of his works. ( see Dennis Hopper & Warhol) Big Grin

Perfect case in point, w+a. This painting now has a notariety that it otherwise would never have. There's an entire stigma to it. It will profit as a result. I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of Warhol, I recall (about 13 yrs ago) back being offered several of his infamous Piss Paintings.
Urrr...no thanks


I have never seen these.
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
Saw "Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde" exhibit today at the AGO.

"Blue Circus" is simply electrifying in person.


Chagall is greatness, indeed.

At his death in the 80's, you could still buy some of his work below $4-5,000. Eek

We greatly enjoy our piece, and PlanoWino also has a couple of wonderful works. My twin DoktaP almost bought a beautiful Chagall last year.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
Saw "Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde" exhibit today at the AGO.

"Blue Circus" is simply electrifying in person.


Chagall is greatness, indeed.

At his death in the 80's, you could still buy some of his work below $4-5,000. Eek

We greatly enjoy our piece, and PlanoWino also has a couple of wonderful works. My twin DoktaP almost bought a beautiful Chagall last year.


Apparently he produced some 10,000 works in his 97 years. Given that theoretical supply, you'd think prices would still be somewhat sane. What's the entry price point nowadays?

Your piece - what era is it from? I'm guessing 1940's?
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:


Apparently he produced some 10,000 works in his 97 years. Given that theoretical supply, you'd think prices would still be somewhat sane. What's the entry price point nowadays?

Your piece - what era is it from? I'm guessing 1940's?


Vin, you are right. Like so many of the great artist of the Modern Era, printmaking was a serious art form. Many of the serious worldwide exhibits today include well executed prints.

There are quality Chagall prints available for a few thousand indeed, but as you know, there are many variables that one needs to understand.

All this said, Picasso produced 30,000 works, and buying/understanding this minefield can be VERY expensive. Smile

Our Chagall is from 1960.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The DMA has an exhibit currently offering many of Jean Paul Gaultier works.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I might have.

Organized by the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in collaboration with Maison Jean Paul Gaultier, the exhibition premiered in Montreal in June.

D really wanted to see this and I attended somewhat reluctantly. At the end of the exhibition my feelings mimiked yours. Worth seeing, IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The DMA has an exhibit currently offering many of Jean Paul Gaultier works.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I might have.

Organized by the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in collaboration with Maison Jean Paul Gaultier, the exhibition premiered in Montreal in June.

D really wanted to see this and I attended somewhat reluctantly. At the end of the exhibition my feelings mimiked yours. Worth seeing, IMO.


Tell D to fly here to Dallas. It will be near 70 next week, and I will pick her up at the airport, take her to the DMA, then off to a grand night of dinner and wine.

Which day works best for her? Cool
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The DMA has an exhibit currently offering many of Jean Paul Gaultier works.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I might have.

Organized by the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in collaboration with Maison Jean Paul Gaultier, the exhibition premiered in Montreal in June.

D really wanted to see this and I attended somewhat reluctantly. At the end of the exhibition my feelings mimiked yours. Worth seeing, IMO.


Tell D to fly here to Dallas. It will be near 70 next week, and I will pick her up at the airport, take her to the DMA, then off to a grand night of dinner and wine.

Which day works best for her? Cool


I'll participate. I think D would be quite stunning in a formal dress with each of us on each arm in our bespoken suits. Big Grin
So much for the concept of "starving artist" -

Painter and graffiti artist David Choe will reportedly be making $200 million for a mural he painted seven years ago. So did Choe paint the next Mona Lisa? Not exactly. In 2005, Choe was asked by then-Facebook President Sean Parker to create a mural for the first Facebook offices in Palo Alto. Choe was given two options: get paid thousands of dollars on the spot or take his payment in Facebook stock. Luckily for Choe, he picked the stock. Facebook filed the paperwork to go public yesterday, with an initial public offering of $5 billion. That means that a ton of people who are associated with the company are instant millionaires--including Choe, whose stocks are predicted to be worth hundreds of millions. Perhaps the most ironic facet of this story is that at the time Choe was painting the mural, he tells the New York Times, he thought Facebook was "pointless and ridiculous." People on Twitter may be hating a little bit, with one person saying that Choe is "about to be the world's most resented artist."
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
So much for the concept of "starving artist" -

Painter and graffiti artist David Choe will reportedly be making $200 million for a mural he painted seven years ago. So did Choe paint the next Mona Lisa? Not exactly. In 2005, Choe was asked by then-Facebook President Sean Parker to create a mural for the first Facebook offices in Palo Alto. Choe was given two options: get paid thousands of dollars on the spot or take his payment in Facebook stock. Luckily for Choe, he picked the stock. Facebook filed the paperwork to go public yesterday, with an initial public offering of $5 billion. That means that a ton of people who are associated with the company are instant millionaires--including Choe, whose stocks are predicted to be worth hundreds of millions. Perhaps the most ironic facet of this story is that at the time Choe was painting the mural, he tells the New York Times, he thought Facebook was "pointless and ridiculous." People on Twitter may be hating a little bit, with one person saying that Choe is "about to be the world's most resented artist."
this has less to do with the art itself, more to do with an excellent business decision made at the time...well done Choe!
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
I'm confused. Why in the world would he have chosen the stock shares in lieu of cash if he thought Facebook was "pointless and ridiculous"? Crazy


SD, I can see him thinking/saying this, yet opting for the stock. He is an interesting person. Wink

I first saw his work in Chelsea, and was blown away. He has taken Spain by storm, and Spain is as avant-garde as anyplace in the world today pertaining to art.
sorry, I thought I recalled bringing up these artists names before and you didn't care for them, or said "ahem"or something like that

maybe another chance for re-eval?
Damon Soule
http://www.juxtapoz.com/Featur...hat-with-damon-soule

Jeff Soto
http://jonathanlevinegallery.c...8EB-92905B887370CF8E

Mars-1
http://jonathanlevinegallery.c...562-AA250071304E1A24

Ron English
http://www.popaganda.com/blog1...persuppercropped-jpg
quote:
Originally posted by fcs:
sorry, I thought I recalled bringing up these artists names before and you didn't care for them, or said "ahem"or something like that

maybe another chance for re-eval?
Damon Soule
http://www.juxtapoz.com/Featur...hat-with-damon-soule

Jeff Soto
http://jonathanlevinegallery.c...8EB-92905B887370CF8E

Mars-1
http://jonathanlevinegallery.c...562-AA250071304E1A24

Ron English
http://www.popaganda.com/blog1...persuppercropped-jpg


Are you a collector of this style of art?
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:


3' X 5'. Should be complete in a couple of weeks. At that size, should we get it framed? Or just stretched?


Completely depends on the style of the work.

Vin, saw your email.

I personally would not frame if your new piece is anything like the Nightingale work, other than considering a museum only frame with proper negative space which should not even be noticed.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new work!
Last edited by wine+art

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×