Skip to main content

Tonight with roast chicken, 2005 Chateau Rol Valentin St Emilion, delicious, rich currant, raspberry, black licorice, silky, good acidity, long finish with some soft tannins hanging on at the end. Drinks very well now, but still has a few years ahead of it. Lovely wine.

D0DEAE0B-955E-486B-AA49-FCDEDF608461

Attachments

Images (1)
  • D0DEAE0B-955E-486B-AA49-FCDEDF608461
Last edited by seaquam
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pulled the cork a couple of hours before dinner with 2007 Ruffino Modus, one of the all-time greatest red wine bargains in my experience.  Still quite dark; rich berry nose, with lots of raspberry, plum, hints of sandalwood, silky, good acidity, very long finish. After this bottle, still 2 remain from case bought on release, each bottle impressive and delicious.

B930C78E-327A-476C-9EBD-856378A49D68

Attachments

Images (1)
  • B930C78E-327A-476C-9EBD-856378A49D68

2017 Cobb Pinot Noir Diane Cobb: Coastlands Vineyard

Exceptional wine, particularly with food. But definitely an outlier in style among Sonoma wines. Elegant, restrained, nuanced cranberry, orange peel, and a hint of what I can only describe as “bright blueberry”.  13% Alcohol. At its well-over-$100 price point I do think I prefer the top-level Rhys wines or a handful of Burgundies, but it’s definitely a great wine.

86E99E0C-2733-48EB-A7F1-730475F53F47

Friday: 2017 Philippe Colin Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Les Chaumées Clos Saint Abdon, outstanding, second best Chardonnay I’ve had so far this year

Saturday: 2021 Giant Steps Chardonnay Yarra, very good, might still improve over next couple of years

Tonight: going to friends’ for dinner, taking 2013 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Upper Terrace, and to accompany Basque cheesecake that Mrs. S is making for dessert, 1994 Fonseca Port (375 ml). Very interested to see whether there’s been any development in the Port in the years since we last tried it.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 86E99E0C-2733-48EB-A7F1-730475F53F47
Last edited by seaquam
@seaquam posted:

86E99E0C-2733-48EB-A7F1-730475F53F47

Friday: 2017 Philippe Colin Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Les Chaumées Clos Saint Abdon, outstanding, second best Chardonnay I’ve had so far this year

Saturday: 2021 Giant Steps Chardonnay Yarra, very good, might still improve over next couple of years

Tonight: going to friends’ for dinner, taking 2013 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Upper Terrace, and to accompany Basque cheesecake that Mrs. S is making for dessert, 1994 Fonseca Port (375 ml). Very interested to see whether there’s been any development in the Port in the years since we last tried it.

hopefully  not witht he F94.

I think it's crazy to me though i was still talking about how youthful the 85 was only to realize it's almost approaching 40 years of age now.  The 94 was an even bigger wine compared to that so i wouldnt expect any difference

@g-man posted:

hopefully  not witht he F94.

I think it's crazy to me though i was still talking about how youthful the 85 was only to realize it's almost approaching 40 years of age now.  The 94 was an even bigger wine compared to that so i wouldnt expect any difference

Bought 6 375ml on release. Had 2 so far, last time in 2018. Powerhouse. Will outlive me.

Still have 1 each of 1977 and 1985 Fonseca 750ml. Need bigger crowd to open those, but we seem to mostly have smaller, more intimate gatherings in recent years. <shrug>

Last night with Grilled Chicken, Roasted Green Beans and Baked Sweet Potato:

2015 Paul Hobbs Chardonnay Ellen Lane Estate

That is my kind of meal, Joe.

Please make a note of that in case I ever drop in unexpectedly.

last night with leftover Szechuan food, we had 2015 Zind Humbrecht Gewürztraminer Roche Calcaire, big floral nose, and lots of litchi, melon, honey flavours, quite plush, with some mineral emerging on the fairly long finish. Very nice.

Last night with friends at the local fish spot:

- NV Charpentier Champagne Blanc de Noirs Extra Brut Terre d'Émotion, long name, nice wine

- 2015 Chateau de Fleys Chablis 1er Cru Les Forneaux, very steely, more austere than most, good acidity

- 2015 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Roche Volcanique, rich floral nose, lots of pear, yellow plum, mineral, honey, slightly smoky, plush, long rich finish; best wine on this night

Last edited by seaquam

Last night with turkey and truffled Gouda sandwiches, a bottle of NV J.M. Labruyére Champagne Grand Cru Anthologie Rosé, beautiful reddish copper colour, light fruit bowl nose; strawberry, cherry, mineral, pomegranate, candied lemon flavours, creamy, consistent mousse, long finish that fades gently. 75% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay, all sourced from Bouzy and Verzenay Grand Crus. Bottled 2016, disgorged 5 years later. A delicious and well- made wine, worth seeking out. I had not had this Champagne before, but I’ll be picking up 6 bottles this afternoon.

9A072B3D-4BD4-4672-865D-2D1580931B4E

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 9A072B3D-4BD4-4672-865D-2D1580931B4E

2018 Albert Boxler Gewuztraminer Reserve

Excellent. A bit sweeter than I expected. Potentially even a hint of botrytis. Lechee, coconut, bruised apple and brown spices on the nose translate to a spicy baked apple palate and a long spicy finish. In fact, the spice actually builds on the tongue many seconds after the wine has gone down the hatch. I wish there was just a tiny bit more acidity to give this a bit more lift as it does occupy that in-between young-Auslese-like space of being too sweet to treat as a typical off-dry white, yet not really sweet enough to stand up to many desserts. It overpowered a risotto Milanese with peas and pancetta. Still, this is terrific juice if you can figure out what to serve it with.

I’ll just add as an aside, I am of the continued opinion that, while excellent with almost always fascinating smells and mouthfeels, Zind-Humbrecht does not deserve its reputation vis-a-vis Weinbach and Boxler. (All things taken into account, Weinbach is my top Alsatian producer.)

Last edited by winetarelli
@winetarelli posted:

I’ll just add as an aside, I am of the continued opinion that, while excellent with almost always fascinating smells and mouthfeels, Zind-Humbrecht does not deserve its reputation vis-a-vis Weinbach and Boxler. (All things taken into account, Weinbach is my top Alsatian producer.)

I agree when it comes to Gewurztraminer and probably even Riesling, but not for Pinot Gris. Z-H makes the best imho.

@steve8 posted:
…for Pinot Gris. Z-H makes the best imho.

I agree. Jebsal and St Urbain are magnificent wines, but the prices have taken massive leaps upward in the last 3 years.

What are your favourites for the other main Alsatian varietals? I like Trimbach for dry Riesling, St Hune and Cuvée Frederic Émile; and Weinbach for Gewürztraminer, Cuvée Laurence and Fürstentum. Albert Mann’s Gewürz Fürstentum  comes pretty close too.

So many great producers in Alsace. And such food-friendly wines.

Last edited by seaquam

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.