Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

B46E99B8-7E50-403B-9D2B-CCAC1929B548Tonight 2011 Concha y Toro Terrunyo Cabernet  Sauvignon Pirque Vineyard Block Las Terrazas, last and worst of 6 bottles. Curiosity made me save one to test its longevity. Bad experiment. Mostly tertiary flavours, black olive, espresso, bittersweet chocolate, bit of black pepper; still silky in the mouth but drying tannins hijack the finish and don’t let go. Couple years past prime. <shrug>  My fault. Still learning.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • B46E99B8-7E50-403B-9D2B-CCAC1929B548
Last edited by seaquam

2019 Dragonette Sauvignon Blanc Grassini Vineyard

More serious and less quaffable than the Merry Edwards, but the equivalent in quality. Primarily peach fruits but with underlying papaya, lemongrass and pineapple and guava. Well structured, reasonably complex, nice finish. I think I’ll mostly stick with ME for it’s (dangerous) drinkability factor, but this is absolutely its equal in quality. I suspect this would age better — I’d like to re-taste in 6 years to see how it’s doing.

Last edited by winetarelli

Taking to our local fish joint tonight

- 2018 Thiriet Vézelay Champs Cervin

- 2014 Billaud-Simon Chablis Premier Cru Mont du Milieu

The former is a very nice village Burgundy with a local angle: the winemakers are a young local man and his French girlfriend whose family has some nice properties in Bourgogne. The sommelier mentioned to us last week that he had wanted to try this wine but hadn’t been able to purchase any, so this is for him and the rest of the staff after service tonight.

The latter is one of the best Premier Cru Chablis we’ve had. Always look forward to enjoying a bottle of this.

B679607D-2940-4304-8933-8F5EF94C2583

Attachments

Images (1)
  • B679607D-2940-4304-8933-8F5EF94C2583

Last night, friends invited us to Spanish-themed dinner. Food was excellent, and wines were spectacular! Very special evening.

- 2019 Bodegas Rodrigo Mendez  Riao da Vella, similar to a great Chablis; lemon, pear, green apple, very silky, excellent acidity, long finish. Apparently 90-year old Albariño vines.

- 2007 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia RIserva, cherry, raspberry, pipe tobacco, bit of black olive, very good acidity; light in weight but intense, long finish that fades softly

- 2005 Clos Mogador, a powerhouse from Priorat, massive nose of pencil lead and dark cherry, similar flavours in the mouth, joined by plum, cassis, dark chocolate, some floral elements emerge with time, very rich, almost creamy, remarkably long rich finish. Best wine I’ve had in recent memory, and possibly best Spanish wine I’ve ever had. Fabulous, and clearly WOTN

- 2005 Numanthia Termanthia, from Toro, another great red; plum, black cherry, raw beef, black licorice, ripe and deep flavours, plush and rich, very long finish. Classy and special, but eclipsed by the previous wine.

A pretty good night! 🤗

CB6693CA-ABE9-428D-922C-9FCCDC7AACC1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CB6693CA-ABE9-428D-922C-9FCCDC7AACC1
Last edited by seaquam
  • 2006 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Pur Sang - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Pouilly-Fumé (4/15/2022)
    WIML95

Tasted non blind.

Yellow color in the glass, clear looking throughout. Nose of herbs du Provence, brandy soaked pears, lychee and wet stone. Flavors of quince, apricot and yellow pears. Medium acidity, full bodied. Drink over the short term. This wine was absolutely singing and distinctly more elegant and supple on the palate than the previous two bottles consumed years ago. (95 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.