thistlintom posted:
longboarder posted:

Tonight in Paris at Le Petit Sommelier- 2013 Guiberteau Breze and 1996 Domaine de l’Arlot Clos des Forets 1er Cru Nuits St. Georges.  Both were absolutely delicious. 

Were you able to avoid the protests?

They had a lot of the right bank sealed off to both pedestrian and car traffic. Lots of the Metro was also shut down.  it is a mess.

Fun, Japanese-centric dinner Friday night:

NV Billecart-Salmon rose
1967 Ridge Monte Bello
1977 Grgich Hills Johannesberg Riesling
1993 Ausbruch Furmint
2002 Chave Hermitage mag
2004 Allemand Reynard
2005 Rostaing La Landonne
2007 Chave Hermitage
2008 Dauvissat Vaillons
2010 Ramonet Les Caillerets
2011 Heaven's Door

2003 Domaine Beaurenard CdP Boisrenard

A great wine in a difficult vintage.  Tanzer's TN describes it well: "Highly expressive, very ripe aromas of dark cherry, plum liqueur, black cardamom, bitter chocolate, espresso and exotic oak spices. An enormous, outsized wine, with broad, sweet dark fruit and mocha flavors accented by pepper and oak spice."

Simply delicious with a beef tenderloin.  I wish I had more of this wine.

Notables over the past few days

NV Krug 
2015 Domaine de l"Ecu Orthogneiss
2012 Colet Navazos Extra brut Cava
Tarlant Cuvee Louis - disgorged in 2007  from the '96 and '97 vintages
2008 Marc Hebrart Special Club
2015 Garon Syrah Collines Rhodaniennes
2011 Signae Montefalco di Sagrantino
1999 Castelgiocondo BDM
1989 Leoville Las Cases

otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2010 Jermann Vintage Tunina

You must have been feeling our vibes.  We had the 2012 Vintage Tunina and 2011 Beyond the Clouds last night at TTC.

Tonight:

2006 Josetta Safirio Barolo Persiera Riserva

Nice. How’d the 2012 show?

Tonight for me: 1984 Burgess Cab Sauv Vintage Selection. Superb. It’s been open 3 1/2 hours and it’s better now than when I first popped it. Showing at least 10, if not 15 years younger than it is. 

sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

2010 Jermann Vintage Tunina

You must have been feeling our vibes.  We had the 2012 Vintage Tunina and 2011 Beyond the Clouds last night at TTC.

Tonight:

2006 Josetta Safirio Barolo Persiera Riserva

Nice. How’d the 2012 show?

Tonight for me: 1984 Burgess Cab Sauv Vintage Selection. Superb. It’s been open 3 1/2 hours and it’s better now than when I first popped it. Showing at least 10, if not 15 years younger than it is. 

Both the 2012 Tunina and 2011 BtC were delicious.  Considering how different they are, it was interesting to have them side-by-side.  For all the times I've had the two wines, I never had them at the same sitting.

That's good to hear about the Burgess Cab.  It's long been one of my favourite wines out of Napa.

Bytown Rick posted:
steve8 posted:

2015 Poggerino, Chianti Classico

Hi Steve.  I see you have been buying and drinking a number of 2015 Chiantis.  Any particular favourites?

Poggerino, Volpaia and Fonterutoli are all excellent. Probably too late for the latter as the SAQ has the 2016 on the shelves. Note that my comments are only for the normales. Haven't tried many of the Riservas or Gran Selezion's  yet.

On a related note, you might also want to try the 2015 Querce Bettina Rosso di Montalcino.

steve8 posted:

2012 Telmo Rodriguez, Rioja, Lanzaga

First experience with this wine, but it won't be my last. Excellent with our cast iron roast chicken.

+1

The entry level LZ is also delicious, and you could also check out the Altos de Lanzaga: 60% tempranillo, 30% graciano, 10% garnacha. 100% bush vines. 

steve8 posted:
Bytown Rick posted:
steve8 posted:

Hi Steve.  I see you have been buying and drinking a number of 2015 Chiantis.  Any particular favourites?

Poggerino, Volpaia and Fonterutoli are all excellent. Probably too late for the latter as the SAQ has the 2016 on the shelves. Note that my comments are only for the normales. Haven't tried many of the Riservas or Gran Selezion's  yet.

On a related note, you might also want to try the 2015 Querce Bettina Rosso di Montalcino.

I may be biased, but I love the Poggio Scalette CC, and the 2015 is the best vintage I’ve tried.

Finally recovered from a debaucherous Friday.........

MV Krug 160eme
1970 Ch Palmer (mag)
1982 Ch L’Evangile
1982 Ch Montrose (double mag)
1989 Ch L’Evangile (double mag)
1989 Ch D’Yquem
1990 Hubert Lignier MSD (mag)
1990 Mongeard-Mugneret V-R (mag)
1992 Groth Reserve
1993 Confurion Clos Vougeot (mag)
1997 Ch Duhart Milon (mag)
2001 JJ Prum Goldkapsel
2004 Ch Lafite Rothschild
2007 Bond Matriarch
2009 Bouchard Corton Charlie (mag)
2009 Gaja SSL Langhe
2013 Ceritas Porter Bass Vineyard Sonoma Coast chard
2016 A. Clape Cornas (mag)
Hibiki 30 year
1995 Glendronach 19 year single cask

sunnylea57 posted:
steve8 posted:
Bytown Rick posted:
steve8 posted:

I may be biased, but I love the Poggio Scalette CC, and the 2015 is the best vintage I’ve tried.

Thanks guys.  The Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva has been our go to wine for pasta and pizza for many years, with some Castello di Ama, Isole E Olena and Volpaia in the mix when something better is desired.  We eat a lot of Italian wine friendly food, and are always on the lookout for wines to match.

steve8 posted:

2005 Paolo Scavino, Barolo, Carobric

Maybe not quite as good as I was expecting it was still excellent.  Don't see it improving much so I'll likely drink my other bottle within the next couple of years.

Had the 2003 with futronic, on the wine and others last week and it was in a pretty good spot.  Did not show the heat of the vinatge at all.  

Add Reply

Likes (0)