April 2019 - What Are You Drinking?

Over the past 2 weeks:

1996 Dom Perignon.  Right at the end of its useful life for me.  A little too madierized and lacking effervescence for my palate, but still memorable.  The folks I drank it with last had a bottle with me 12 years ago, so it was interesting to hear their opinion.  They agreed with me, but there was a small tussle over the last pour!

2006 Dom Perignon.  A little tight at this tasting..  Great potential.  Hold.

2002 Dom Perignon.  Right in my wheelhouse.  Stunning.  

2006 Taittinger Comptes.  As with the 2006 Dom, more closed than my last bottle.  Will hold for a few.  Still lovely.

1999 Karl Lawrence Napa.  Have had this once before, but this bottle out-performed the last one by a large margin.  Lovely after a 2 hour decant and better with each sip.  Happily surprised.  No good wines, just good bottles seems appropriate.

1999 Stefania Cabernet Crimson Clover.  Slow starting, even after a couple of hours of air.  Finished very strong.  My friend's 85 year old father said it was the best red wine he'd ever had.  One must consider the source, but still...

1995 La Vieux Donjon CDP.  Simply stunning.  I took a large pour at the end of the bottle and headed to the fire pit for contemplation.  One of the best CDPs I've had in years.  Perfect with a mixed grill of venison, elk and wild boar backstraps.

2001 Pegau CDP. I like a little stank in my Pegaus, but this was over the top for me.  The George "Brett" of CDPs on this evening.  Even after several hours, the fruit lost the battle with the barnyard. Blech... 

Grahams Tawny 10.  Served with BBQd Saint Louis Ribs and a Bourbon BBQ sauce.  A remarkable and very successful pairing.

2014 Louis Michel Forets, Sechet and Vaudesir.  The Sechet, surprisingly, was my favorite.  Poured for the ladies whilst tending to the fire pit and smoker.  Wish I'd had more time with them. Love Louis Michel's Chablis.  Great bang for the buck, IMO.

2001 from 750 & 2004 Ornellaia from 375.  The 2004 was good to go on pop and pour.  The 2001 took hours, but was  marginally better.  Friggin' delicious juice, both.

PH

Fun dinner earlier this week:

1985 Fonseca Port
1987 Calero Selleck PN (mag)
1990 Drouhin Pommard
1990 Lafon Volnay Santenots
1990 Taittinger Collection
1997 Argiano Brunello
2000 Giacosa Barbaresco Faletto
2000 Taylor Port
2001 Arnoux Chambolle (mag)
2001 Giusto du Notri Toscana
2002 Drouhin St. Veran
2003 Rieussec
2004 Thomas Pinot Noir
2005 Scherrer Cab
2009 Duckhorn Cab
2009 Roulot Meix Chavaux
2011 Foillard Morgon Côte De Py (mag)
2011 Knoll Loibner Gruner Smaragd
2014 Ultramarine BdN
2015 Copain Laureles Grade Chardonnay
2015 Foradori Fontanasanta Nosiola
2015 Xavier Gerard Cote Rotie
2017 Rivers Marie Summa PN

Standouts for me were the Taittinger, Lafon, Thomas and Roulot.  Drouhin Pommard was unfortunately very flawed, and the Arnoux had some low levels of TCA IMO.

At a small tasting courtesy of Paul Hart from HDh followed by a civilized dinner at Brothers with vinoevelo. 

2014 Chablis, Forêts, Domaine Raveneau
2015 La Clarté de Haut-Brion [2nd white wine of Haut-Brion and La Mission Haut-Brion]
2013 Nuits-St-Georges, Les Vaucrains, Henri Gouges
1985 Château Cos d’Estournel

NV Cedric Bouchard Rose des Jeunes
1985 Peter Louis Guntrum Riesling Spätlese
1999 Burgaud Cote Rotie

mangiare posted:

At a small tasting courtesy of Paul Hart from HDh followed by a civilized dinner at Brothers with vinoevelo. 

2014 Chablis, Forêts, Domaine Raveneau
2015 La Clarté de Haut-Brion [2nd white wine of Haut-Brion and La Mission Haut-Brion]
2013 Nuits-St-Georges, Les Vaucrains, Henri Gouges
1985 Château Cos d’Estournel

NV Cedric Bouchard Rose des Jeanne Cote de Val Vilaine
1985 Peter Louis Guntrum Riesling Spätlese
1999 Burgaud Cote Rotie

minor correction to the champagne.  great evening.  even riding the subway home.

Two older Canadian wines.

• 2009 Pearl Morissette Riesling, from Niagara in Ontario.  Their first Riesling, and drinking well after 10 years.
  • 2007 Church and State Meritage, from Okanagan in British Columbia.  A Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Franc blend.  Nice to try an older example, but showing its age.  Probably better a few years ago.
purplehaze posted:

2002 Dom Perignon.  Right in my wheelhouse.  Stunning.  

1999 Karl Lawrence Napa.  Have had this once before, but this bottle out-performed the last one by a large margin.  Lovely after a 2 hour decant and better with each sip.  Happily surprised.  No good wines, just good bottles seems appropriate.

1999 Stefania Cabernet Crimson Clover.  Slow starting, even after a couple of hours of air.  Finished very strong.  My friend's 85 year old father said it was the best red wine he'd ever had.  One must consider the source, but still...

2001 from 750 & 2004 Ornellaia from 375.  The 2004 was good to go on pop and pour.  The 2001 took hours, but was  marginally better.  Friggin' delicious juice, both.

PH

1999 Stefania Crimson Clover??? Is that a typo PH or am I really that old?

I had three bottles of the 99 Karl Lawrence and the last one at 15 years of age was by far the best. Good to hear it's still going strong at 20.

Thanks for the comments on the 02 Dom and 04 Ornellaia.

Out in Napa  Valley this past weekend.  Some of the highlights included:

2016 MacDonald

2005 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan

2016 Arietta On the White Keys

2011 Gandona Estate Cabernet

2013 Ovid Hexameter

2014 O'Shaughnessy Mt Veeder Cabernet 

2014 Hunnicutt Wayside Cabernet

winedrmike posted:

Out in Napa  Valley this past weekend.  Some of the highlights included:

2016 MacDonald

2005 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan