quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
1996 Dominique Laurent Bonnes-Mares - Not ready for prime time yet.

Should be a profound wine.
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Dinner with CellarTracker folks:
2009 Smith Madrone Riesling
1995 Pontet Canet
1995 Lokoya Cabernet Sauvignon
2000 Blankiet Cabernet Sauvignon
How did the 1995 Lokoya show?

And the 1995 Pontet Canet?

The Lokoya Cab we drank was from Mt. Vedeer. I've never had a Lokoya but have had some CA cabs from the '90s as reference points although none from that appelation. The Lokoya had a darker profile than the more reddish Pontet Canet. The Lokoya was a little tighter on the nose, but it eventually opened up nicely to roast coffee, black olive. On the palate, a lot of fresh blackberries came through, but the wine wasn't lush at all. I don't know what the price was back then, but I just did a search near me, and I think <$100 is a good buy for a deliciously aged cab paired with some grilled meat.

The PC was also very nice and was a good contrast to the Lokoya. I decanted it at home prior to heading to the restaurant. Opaque, garnet color with a good whiff of cedar, leather, and kirsch on the nose. PC felt a lighter on the palate than the Lokoya. Tannins were resolved and silky.
Last edited by doubled
We are meeeting a co-worker and his wife for dinner tonight, with me bringing the juice.

NV Philippe Prie Rose Champagne
2009 La Nerthe CdP Blanc
2007 Santa Duc Gigondas Les Garancieres
2005 Le Clos Jordanne Claystone Terrace Pinot Noir - very clear burgundy colour, mainly cherry aromatics with a bit of pine, good acidity combines with strong tannic spine to give it freshness and structure.

2009 Pascal Marchand Gevrey Chambertin - a real simple village wine

Have to say that the Clos Jordanne Claystone PN from Niagara was a much better QPR vs the Marchand wine.
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
2005 Le Clos Jordanne Claystone Terrace Pinot Noir - very clear burgundy colour, mainly cherry aromatics with a bit of pine, good acidity combines with strong tannic spine to give it freshness and structure.

Have to say that the Clos Jordanne Claystone PN from Niagara was a much better QPR vs the Marchand wine.

OTW, I've found the Claystone (and other Clos Jordanne) to be tasty but not worth the price. It's been about a year since I've tasted any. Do think the QPR has improved to the point that Claystone is as good or better than what you'd find from Burgundy (or out west) for the price?

DOUBLE D: thanks for the note on the Pontet Canet.
2011 Littorai Chardonnay Charles Heintz Vineyard - Awesome Chard here. I know 2011 was a colder vintage and some don't like it because of that, but I've had some great 11's.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I'm way behind in my wine consumption this year. Working on fixing that in Q2!

PH

We'll work on that Wink
2004 Cristal. Definitely needs time, lots of it. But it was still nice as was, certainly enjoyable on a beautiful sunny April Pacific NW day. Cool
I hope I'm not the only person that is older than the wine I'm opening tonight at our off-line, but I think that will be the case. Big Grin
Line-up for tonight:

NV selosse exquisite
01 roumier bonnes mares
06 roumier bonnes mares
01 vogue musigny
06 vogue musigny
95 leroy beauxmont
05 emmanuel rouget echezeaux
07 dujac chambertin
78 lmhb
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I hope I'm not the only person that is older than the wine I'm opening tonight at our off-line, but I think that will be the case. Big Grin

Big Grin Yeah, but look at it this way: you'll be the only one that can say, "I remember what happened the year this was made..."
Over the last few days:

2010 Farnese Edizione Cinque Autoctone.
- Big bold wine, nothing here to please me...

2007 Solàrea Montepulciano-d'Abruzzo
- Quite dry on the palate, but had more fruit with a welcomed acidity. Preferred this over the first one

2010 Tenuta Argentiera Poggio ai Ginepri Bolgheri
- That is a good wine for 20$. Gave me lot of fruit, spices (pepper) and many things I like in a wine. Best italian wine this week so far Smile
quote:

Yes but I highly doubt that will be the case on Friday night.
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:

Yes but I highly doubt that will be the case on Friday night.

Ha, indeed. I'm thinking a 1916 Margaux may be in order. Wink
Private tasting today at my favorite New World winery, Ledson, near Kenwood:

2011 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc
2011 Carneros Chardonnay Reserve
2011 and 2012 (barrel) Russian River Valley Reserve Pinot Noir
2009 and 2011 (barrel) Knights Valley Sangiovese
2009 Russian River Valley Century Vine Zinfandel
2011 Sonoma Valley Ancient Vine Reserve Zinfandel
2008 Knights Valley Bellisimo
2008 Sonoma County Cepage
2009 Sonoma County Caudalies
2008 Knights Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Napa Valley Stagecoach Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon (barrel)

Planning on a barrel tasting event on Saturday...
Tonight at The Pink Door, a funky, offbeat, but very good Italian joint in Seattle where the food surpasses the name:

- NV Chanoine a Reims Champagne Grande Reserve -- some good Pinot cherry flavour, also green apple, creme brûlée, light and easy, decent aperitif but won't rock anyone's world

- 2012 Vietti Roero Arneis -- light and very grapey, like picking ripe green grapes right off the vine and eating them during the summer, easy and fun, good picnic wine or good with most cold cuts, potato salad, etc

- 2011 Lachini Vineyards Pinot Gris (Dundee Hills, Oregon) -- rich fruit, very tasty, ripe pear, yellow plum, sage, tasty

- 1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello -- drinking well now, if there's any improvement to come it's marginal, this has plum, berry, basil, coffee flavours, long finish, very good and still has lots of time, outstanding

- 2007 Columbia Winery Merlot -- overwhelmed by vanillin oak, close to undrinkable for me and I'm pretty tolerant of oak, pass
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Line-up for tonight:

NV selosse exquisite
01 roumier bonnes mares
06 roumier bonnes mares
01 vogue musigny
06 vogue musigny
95 leroy beauxmont
05 emmanuel rouget echezeaux
07 dujac chambertin
78 lmhb

Nice lineup! TNs?
quote:
my favorite New World winery, Ledson, near Kenwood:

I enjoyed these when you visited and we opened them at "Crush". Enjoy!
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Tonight at The Pink Door, a funky, offbeat, but very good Italian joint in Seattle where the food surpasses the name

My wife and I enjoyed The Pink Door on the two occassions we were in Seattle as well. Funky & offbeat was a good way to describe it!
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Private tasting today at my favorite New World winery, Ledson, near Kenwood:
Never heard of it. What style is the wine made in?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.