Since Bella and/or Board-0 havent gotten around to starting this thread, I figured I may as well.

Last night; Grilled marinated Skirtsteak. Yum! Smile
Original Post
No, Board-O. It was served at a little country French place I like close to home called La Miche. I have never prepared this dish myself. On my "to do" list for this year. Recipes and guidance gladly accepted! Cool I love a good confit..... Smile

PH
Same here. grun posted a arecipe a while back. I have yet to make it, though I have a stock of frozen rendered duck fat.
Braised lamb shank... again. I'm hooked, great recipe here from Lucy Waverman.

Classic Braised Lamb Shanks
============================

These are the best lamb shanks ever according to my husband Bruce the lamb shank fanatic in our family. They are slow cooked and end up richly glazed with sauce.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 lamb shanks
2 tsp chopped rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 inch-wide strip orange peel
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 300 F. Heat vegetable oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle lamb shanks with 1 teaspoon rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Brown lamb shanks on all sides about 2 minutes per side or until a dark brown colour. Remove from pot. Turn heat to medium-low. Add onions and garlic and sauté until softened about 5 minutes. Sprinkle onions with flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until flour has browned slightly.

Pour in red wine, bring to boil stirring. Add stock, balsamic vinegar, sugar, tomato paste, bay leaf, remaining teaspoon rosemary, and orange peel. Bring to boil again. Return shanks. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Turn lamb shanks in pan to braise the other side, return to oven and bake for 30 minutes longer. Remove lid and bake for another 30 minutes or until lamb is very tender and sauce is thick and rich. Remove bay leaf and orange peel before serving.

Serves 4
Soungs great, tb. That's another dish I love that I haven't gotten around to making yet.

Tonight, roast prime rib.
Scallops sauteed in butter, parsley, and garlic infused EVOO. With a nice sauce created by reducing the leftover liquids in the pan and adding white wine and cream with a touch of tarragon. Served with steamed baby spinach and roasted red bell pepper strips.

Accompanied very well by a crunchy mineral filled 2004 Tabordet Pouilly Fume with subtle fruits and focused acids.
Shrimp/salsa bruschetta
Asparagus/bacon with wild rice
Salmon with vodka sauce

Should be an interesting and good dinner this weekend.
Mussels with coconut lemongrass milk and cilantro- They were ok.

Sonoma Duck Breast with spinach, herb gnocci, and butternut squash and berries. Outstanding

Mascarpone, Brie, pistachio Cheescake with bluberries, blackberries, rasperries and strawberries. Oustanding again.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
Corned beef and cabbage. Yes, you read it correctly. I love it, and DnVsMom made another one last night.....

I love it as well, you have good taste DnV'sD.
Had a nice dinner with T-Birds in NY. No pics, but I think I remember what we had between the four of us. Frog legs, scallop seviche, lobster tail, suckling pig, and cheese. We had wine too, but I only remember mine: '03 Gevrey Chambertin - one VV from Bachelet and one from Charlopin Parizot, cuvee "Les Evocelles". Both were excellent. Tbird's wines were good as well but I don't know what it was; one was a Priorat and another some kind of Super Tuscan.

To all of you out there, Tbird liked my Burgundies. Cool And you thought you knew the man.
quote:
Hunter's Meatballs.

I'm serious.

Looking back on it, I wish I posted a more precise recipe. It was more of a sauce thing than specific to meatballs (I forgot to add a few things). But, for someone like yourself who has a clue (unlike a certain someone) - I'm sure it was workable and hopefully it came out ok for you. Smile

Last Night: Fresh Linguini, hot sausage, and broccoli raab.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
I'm sure it was workable and hopefully it came out ok for you. Smile

Yep, no problems at all. I actually liked the meatballs better than the sauce, but I have to admit that I rushed it (didn't let it do the sit time) and I skipped the pork ribs, so it was really my fault more than anything. Also, turns out I am an onion guy, so more onions next time. All in all, a very satisfying hearty recipe for midweek fare.
Tomatoe and Artichoke heart salad.
Corn
Grilled Ribeyes.

Oddly enough, I had ribeyes in the freezer. I threw them on the grill and they came out perfect.
Had wineguyinTO and maverickdrinker over for dinner last night:

Aperitif:

NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blancs Champagne

First course:

Grilled scallops with a mango, red pepper, red onion, cucumber, chile, and lime salsa
1996 Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Chouilly

Intermezzo:

2002 Domaine Joseph Voillot Volnay

Second Course:

Pepper-crusted, prosciutto-wrapped, herbed veal tenderloin with red wine-demi reduction, fresh morel mushrooms, haricot verts, creamy gorgonzola polenta
1990 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
1997 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

Dessert:

Tahitian vanilla bean creme brulee
1997 Chateau Coutet Sauternes

Cheese course:

St. George (Portugal), 3-year old gouda, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Benedicton Blue (Quebec), grapes, almonds
1993 Giuseppe Quintarelli Recioto della Valpolicella Classico
That's it! I'm coming north! Sounds like a wonderful meal, futronic!

Did you post a note on the 1990 Poggio Antico Riserva? I can't find it... Confused

PH
There's an open seat at the dinner table with your name on it, PH. Just name the date!

Haven't posted a note on last night's bottle yet, although I did post one in Nov. 2004. Link.
Thanks, fut. I'll come north one day soon. It's mildly ironic that the 1990 Costanti I mentioned in my response to this note was a wine we enjoyed together 5 months later! Cool The bouquet of that wine is still etched in my mind. A good night! Smile

PH
Surf & Turf:

Snow Crab
Paired with a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc 2005

Marinated Flank Steak.
Potatoe & Leak Gratin..
Paired with Marqués de Cáceres Gran Reserva rioja Espagne 1996.

Nice....
quote:
Originally posted by grunhauser:
To all of you out there, Tbird liked my Burgundies. Cool And you thought you knew the man.

you promised you wouldn't tell! Razz
quote:
Originally posted by grunhauser:
We had wine too, but I only remember mine: '03 Gevrey Chambertin - one VV from Bachelet and one from Charlopin Parizot, cuvee "Les Evocelles". Both were excellent. Tbird's wines were good as well but I don't know what it was; one was a Priorat and another some kind of Super Tuscan.

they were(for history):
2003 Mas Doix Priorat Salanques
2002 Casali di Bibbiano Argante Toscana IGT
Last night at our favorite local bistro Pastis

- duck terrine (generous amuse-bouche)
- fresh white asparagus with cream sauce and blood orange segments (delicious!)
- butter lettuce salad
- cassoulet with roasted duck and duck confit
- coq au vin (boneless meat, very nice)
- crepes suzette (last time I had it must have been 20 years ago)

with
- 2001 Pfaffenheim Tokay Pinot Gris Grand Cru Steinert (as good as a co-op wine is likely to be)
- 1999 Reinert Merlot Walla Walla (drinking very well, but dominated by cedary oak which some might not like; worked well with our food)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.