A while back, I was talking with a friend, sharing stories about how we wanted to keep track of what wines we have, but it's just so hard to keep up with it. You get busy (or lazy), or you have a bunch of people over and you're pulling bottles, but once you miss recording one bottle in your inventory, it's all over. Getting caught up feels so overwhelming, especially if you forgot what you drank!

So I wondered, if I could do it by voice, maybe it'd be easier, and I'd be more likely to keep up with it. Seemed to make sense to me. Just tell Alexa what to do, and let it take care of the rest.

But I couldn't find any Alexa skills to just let me add bottles to my inventory, remove them, and know what I have.

So I made one: https://www.thewinecellar.app. It's rough and super basic, but it works for what I need.

My question is, do you all think other people would be interested in this? Or is it pretty much just me?

I put some stuff on the site a while back about subscriptions, but for this question I'm really just trying to see if other people have the same problem as me, or if it's a little TOO niche.

All comments are appreciated, thanks everyone!

Original Post

Yeah, that seems extremely niche: a tool for the lazy wine collector.

Also, I don't think your pricing model will fly. Cellartracker is free. Even if you pay their "optional but recommended" subscription fees (which I do) it's still 1/3 to 1/2 the price of your service. And Cellartracker is far and away the best in class for wine inventory management.

sunnylea57 posted:

Also, I don't think your pricing model will fly. Cellartracker is free. Even if you pay their "optional but recommended" subscription fees (which I do) it's still 1/3 to 1/2 the price of your service. And Cellartracker is far and away the best in class for wine inventory management.

Thanks for the feedback!

In your personal experience, what makes CellarTracker far and away better than every other wine inventory solution?  I'm thinking features, other than price.  If an Alexa skill had those killer features, surely there would be a market for it...

This all kind of assumes a certain premise though -- that there's some number of people out there that wish it was easier to maintain an inventory.  If that isn't true, then it really is just me!

Voice wins over keystrokes as long as you have a feature that specifies the drinking window.

See, the way it works is that you bought the wine, you own the wine, you love the wine, but you have no idea when to drink it unless you fill out the drinking window field. And you get that information from . . .  um . . . uh . . . a professional! 

If you drink too early, it tastes like ass. If you drink too late it tastes like stale saliva. But if you drink during the specified window it's nectar of the gods!

I think that most people on this forum have greater than 120 bottles, so the question to the forum members is:  Does anyone want to spend $300 per year to log their inventory using their voice?

Personally, I'm way too lazy to even use any cellar inventory program.  I just stand in the middle of my wine cellar and take a visual real time inventory.

sminneman posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

In your personal experience, what makes CellarTracker far and away better than every other wine inventory solution?  I'm thinking features, other than price.  If an Alexa skill had those killer features, surely there would be a market for it...

This all kind of assumes a certain premise though -- that there's some number of people out there that wish it was easier to maintain an inventory.  If that isn't true, then it really is just me!

If you’d like to know what makes CT better than other wine inventory solutions, I suggest you spend some time using CT yourself. Do your own competitive research.

If you can figure out how to get Alexa to pull the bottle and open it for you, then you'd have a winner. I have a half dozen Alexas around the house and use them for quite a bit of automation, etc.. Honestly the best option I can think of would be some type of AI built in for recommendations on what I should open.  Build that into your cellar management app and you'd have a differentiator. 

Best Alexa feature request I've seen was a female friend of mine had a t-shirt on last weekend that said "Alexa, feed my kids". Now that would be a winner as well. 

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!  

The responses about price were well founded.  To be honest, I'd kind of just made up some numbers, but they gave a bad impression right off the bat.  Now, I've taken the pricing off of the front page, and lowered it to $5/mo or $50/year with no bottle or feature limits.  I really don't want to do ad-supported unless the market truly demands it, and I can't afford to make it free!

Including drinking windows is a really good idea, it's on the roadmap.  Not sure yet how to do it, but there will be a way.  Same with recommendations -- "Based on what you already have, you might like XXXX."  "You have a bottle of XXXX, it's time to drink it."  Seems like a great value-add and differentiator!

And yes, I have used CT.  Several years ago, I tried to commit to it, and added 40 bottles.  But I got lazy and stopped keeping it up to date, which is one of the experiences that gave us this idea.  So I know how CT works, but I only know how I used it.  I don't know your perspective, which is just as valid as mine, and which is also important market research for me.

Add Reply

Likes (0)