Anyone have this 2003 Brunello recently?

I am opening the 2003 Altesino BdM Vendemmia tonight and was wondering how it is holding up. I have not had this since release and I would like to know how to serve it based on more recent experiences. Decant, slow ox or pop and pour. Thanks.

IW
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
I am opening the 2003 Altesino BdM Vendemmia tonight and was wondering how it is holding up. I have not had this since release and I would like to know how to serve it based on more recent experiences. Decant, slow ox or pop and pour. Thanks.

IW

Haven't had this one IW, but the handful of 2003 Brunelli I've had were all early drinkers. I'd pour some into a glass and make a quick judgement. Thinking P & P is likely just fine.

PH
What a pleasant surprise. Yes it was ripe but a nice earthy core emerged into a fruit forward brunello. This is a perfect wine to share with wine friends that have little to no experience with Brunello wines. The acidity was there but sparingly. In cooler years the acidity would be more front and center compared to this riper vintage. My friends really enjoyed the wine and while not classic in its profile it put a different kind of smile on my face. I attribute the earthy finish to the 13 years of age. Baked strawberry and some baking spice emerged in the last glass. 90pts.

IW
Had a 2003 Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova two weeks ago:
Double decanted (recommended) for 2 hours prior to pouring. Improvement from last bottle that left me nonplussed 8 years ago. In a better place now. Resolved, yet more complex with subtle nuances. On the sweeter side, maybe revealing the hot vintage, but still in balance and delicious. Silky smooth with very fine tannins. Paired well with Bolognese sauce as well as pan seared veal chop. Tasty alone but better with food. Some time left for these, but try one now if you have several because they are drinking well at the moment. 92

Add Reply

Likes (0)