With the help of some contacts, I may be able to arrange the event at a downtown restaurant in a private room. No corkage fee. No obligation.
I have also looked into hospitality suites at downtown hotels and waiting to hear back. It will undoubtedly take several days or a couple of weeks to finalize arrangements, but rest assured that we are on the job. Things are progressively shaping up.
Excellent work, Dok. Looking forward to hearing about the options.

With respect to a private room and restaurant access, maybe those detail are best kept to email. I'd hate for the LLBO to be browsing the site and give the restaurant a problem.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.
I already had you penciled in. You're the 8th
person confirmed. A little birdy told me you'd be
interested.
Futronic, your paranoia is parallel to mine. As we get closer to the event and I have more information, I'll ask all confirmed to send me their email addresses and a list of what wines they intend to bring. I'll ensure that there is adequate variety and no dupes.
Does everyone agree with Aussie/Bordeaux? Razz
As far as Aussie wines are concerned, I'd like to NOT restrict it to Shiraz, but any red. Cab/Cab blends, etc.....
As we get closer, I'll ask for people to submit their choices. Probably best to wait until after the holidays and see what people buy/receive for presents. Maybe a Grange?
We still have "50 sleeps" to arrange what I hope will be a memorable event. Smile
I'm in need of your email addresses in order to facilitate communication and expedite the tasting.

If there is enough interest and/or wines, would you prefer flights or blind tastings?

If you already know what you're prepared to bring to the event, please LMK at jester728@rogers.com. Things can always be changed at any time.

I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 individuals about venues, but 1 spot has been tentatively secured. Smile
on the wine: the event is taking place Saturday January 24th/2004 from 7:00pm-?

Oakvilleal: I have no intention of excluding spouses if they're as obsessed as the rest of us.
My wife may drop in at the end (designated driver) and sample some flights/tastings. Though she enjoys wine, her lust for the juice pales in comparison to mine. She's way more pragmatic! PLMK however, in order that we have enough stemware, food, etc.....

Thanks to those of you who have responded to my email about venue. I'm still waitng to hear from
2-3 others.
As much as I'd like to participate, my Saturday evening activities will include my family. I see little enough of them as it is and I'll be away for two weeks prior to the 24th. It wouldn't do to spend my first Saturday night back going out drinking. I'd sure be pissed if my wife tried that.

Perhaps next time.
As much as I'd like to participate, my Saturday evening activities will include my family. I see little enough of them as it is and I'll be away for two weeks prior to the 24th. It wouldn't do to spend my first Saturday night back going out drinking. I'd sure be pissed if my wife tried that one on me.

Perhaps next time.
Dok,

It looks like the tasting will be a combination of Aussie Shiraz and Bordeaux. I can bring something from either category, so let me know if you need wines from one region or the other in order to even things out a bit, and then I'll give a couple of suggestions from my cellar.
Looks like things are really rolling.

I can bring some Ironstone pressings or some 2000 Chateau Malmaison if you wish. Perhaps some Balmoral Syrah?

I can also submit some 1999 Justin or cakebread however, it sounds like we are drinking either aussie or bordeaux.

Now....where's that Screwpull?
A bit of an update with respect to the tasting:

Things are in good shape - DoktaP has made some excellent preparations for the tasting. We're not going to post the location of the tasting, because we don't want the LLBO/LCBO showing up and cancelling our fun - yes, yes: paranoia at its finest.

Anyway, here are the flights we'll be tasting:

Flight #1 - Bordeaux

1975 Chateau Brane-Cantenac
1982 Chateau Palmer
1994 Chateau L'Evangile
1996 Chateau D'Ardennes
1999 Chateau D'Armailhac
1999 Chateau Lynch-Bages

Flight #2 - Aussie Others

1995 Wolf Blass Black Label
1998 Chateau Reynella Basket Pressed Cabernet Sauvignon
1998 Penfolds RWT
1998 Penley Estates Cabernet Sauvignon
1999 Elderton CSM
1999 Rosemount Mountain Blue
2000 Rosemount GSM

Flight #3 - Aussie Shiraz

1997 Penfolds Bin 28
1998 Merrivale Bin 338
1999 Leasingham Bin 61
1999 Penfolds St. Henri
2000 Pirramimma Reserve
2001 Elderton (January TAA! Smile)
2002 Marquis-Philips

Unless someone changes their mind with their selection, this is what we'll be having. Great lineup in my opinion!

Tasting will be single-blind and top wines of the flight will be ranked 1-5. Lowest sum of scores at the table will be WOTF, etc.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone on the 24th!

Edit: Added the '98 Reynella Basket Pressed Cab to the Aussie Other flight.

[This message was edited by futronic on Jan 12, 2004 at 08:55 PM.]
Futronic: Thanks for posting the flights. I think we're pretty much set unless anybody wants to contribute any more to their cirrhosis.

Slan: Sentiments are mutual. It will be nice attaching faces to names. I'm looking forward to meeting all participants.

Plans: We're getting down to the nitty gritty.
Everything should be organized by the end of this week. Just in the process of finalizing menu items etc... Looks like a veal dish with
a "medley" of veggies, some cheeses and fruit for dessert. We'll have plenty of bottled water,
breads, etc.... Hopefully, the stemware will be anything but those 4 oz samplers. Though I'm sure I will have forgotten something, we should have the bare essentials (corkscrew and wine). Smile
The menu is set. Beef Tenderloin with roasted potatoes and veggie medley. The wines have already been posted by futronic and arranged in flights.
Stemware provided by the wine establishment.
The guest list is finalized and includes forumites: drthvader, carriedca, baird6869, futronic, slan, oakville_al, maverickdrinker, myself and 2 worthy friends.
TN's should be posted shortly after the event on the 24th and will include the TAA as well as notes on Marquis Philips.
Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)