Several years ago I put aside a few bottles of the Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Victoria Shiraz-Viognier from the 2007 vintage. It is 14% Alc and 95% Shiraz & 5% Viognier. This has always been an excellent QPR and I like what these two wine families have done together over the years. I felt this vintage could age well and tonight I am drinking the first of the bottles I put aside. Even though this wine is designed to drink in the near term, at age 11 it is singing with beautiful aromas of peach from the viognier and stony earthy red fruits from the shiraz. The tannins are resolved and smooth. This wine has a truly french profile with earthy currants, strawberries, and dried plum. If you find well stored bottles of this vintage give it a whirl. I like when experiments work out with inexpensive daily drinkers. 92pts.

IW

Original Post

I like it, IW!  nice work

I've been experimenting like this for over 15 years.  I still have some 2001 Marquis Philips wines in my cellar.  I did that in response to everyone who said "they'll never age", and yet they aged pretty well.   I lost my taste for big nasty Aussie wines about 10 years ago, so I have a bunch of old Aussies in the cellar (rugby game broke out the other day), 18 bottles aged 13-17.  What is there to lose?

Add Reply

Likes (0)