We are going to Europe, mainly for a cruise, but will be in Amsterdam for a few days.  Besides the Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum, I was wondering on what things to see and some places for food.  Restaurants don't have to be top of the line.

Original Post
jcocktosten posted:

Anne Frank house - probably too late to get advance tickets but you should

Foodhallen is an excellent food hall

Tales and Spirits is an excellent cocktail bar

Eat Risjtaffel somewhere - we went to Tempo Doeloe

Shopping in the Nine Streets for crafty smaller stores

Thanks, about a week late on Anne Frank house.  Looks like it books out a month in advance.

Everything jcocktosten said. You can get 7am released tickets for Anne Frank the day of. 

I love Tempo Doeloe but I think there may be better Indonesian in the city. Still it has a Michelin recommendation and I did the 15 course Risjtaffel for two people and two beers each for $100... Hard to go wrong. 

Just walk around, it's a wonderful city and very easy as a foreigner. 

A cocktail at the Amstel Hotel's waterside bar is very nice. 

I had dinner at The Duchess (the across from the W Hotel) last week and it was very nice (especially the spaghetti with butter and Beluga caviar).

jcocktosten posted:

My only other comment is to be very very aware of the cyclists.  They are everywhere and will run you down if you get in their way

Bicycles have the right of way, then pedestrians and then cars. 

Also like a lot of europe, people dress better there. Don't look like a tourist and you will be treated better. The dutch are very practical and staid. Being presentable, wearing dark colours (unless it's orange) and not beating around the bush when talking to them will get you far. 

Also, the windows in the red light district are going to be closed down soon, so just on a cultural basis walk through the redlight district while it is still a thing. Not much to look at to be honest but it IS a cultural phenomena that will never be replicated. Neat part of town too.  

Are shorts ok if weather not too cold?  How about jeans for walking around?  I would assume slacks for a decent dinner.

May have to talk wife into the red light district, she didn't seem too interested.  Besides seeing prostitutes in the windows, any other things interesting there?

Having a Rijstaffel dinner sounds like a good idea.

Thanks.

thistlintom posted:

We are also going to be in Bruges and Ghent while in Europe if anyone has any comments on those cities.

Go to the top of the tower in Bruges.  The whole center of town is great.

Good brewery tour

Get a waffle for supper.  Not breakfast food

order Mussels!!  They are huge and a local favourite.  Order Belgian fries, not American

eat all the chocolate you can

flwino posted:
thistlintom posted:

We are also going to be in Bruges and Ghent while in Europe if anyone has any comments on those cities.

Go to the top of the tower in Bruges.  The whole center of town is great.

Don't go to the top of the tower if you're an f'ing elephant, even if the guide book says it's a must see. It's all windy stairs.

thelostverse posted:
thistlintom posted:

Actually we are cruising the Baltic over to St Petersburg Russia.  Two days there and stops in Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, and Tallin

Wow, I was way off.  Sounds like a great trip. 

Not a bad guess though.  We would like to do a river cruise in the near future.

We did a Rhein River cruise last year that started in Amsterdam down to Basel Switzerland.  Unfortunately I can't help with Amsterdam suggestions as we missed the first four days (the Amsterdam portion) with an unexpected trip to the ICU, and caught up with the ship as it was leaving Amsterdam.  At any rate, enjoy your trip.

thelostverse posted:

We did a Rhein River cruise last year that started in Amsterdam down to Basel Switzerland.  Unfortunately I can't help with Amsterdam suggestions as we missed the first four days (the Amsterdam portion) with an unexpected trip to the ICU, and caught up with the ship as it was leaving Amsterdam.  At any rate, enjoy your trip.

Similar issues, same trip.

Left Amsterdam, and within a day MS Flwino got pneumonia, and missed all shore excursions.  Only hit only party.  When we got home went to doctor, and immediately in hospital and rehab for a month.  I took about 1,000 pictures, but that does not allow her to really share the sites, wines, beers, etc.

You will have a great time - very beautiful city.  Our hotel room - Ink Hotel had cool graphics on the wall - one of them was a helpful mnemonic to remember the order of the concentric-ish canals:

Peter Knows His Shi*. The four main canals, from innermost to outer, are Prinsengracht, Keizersgracht, Herengracht, and Singel. 

Just got back from Amsterdam and I will add a visit to the A'dam Tower is a great option. Yeah a bit touristy but really enjoyed a 5 course dinner. great bar at top, insane views, etc. In town, Bleu was a darn good meal as well. High marks for the brewery (IJ Brewery in english) with the sole Amsterdam windmill for beer, limited food. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)