A dynamite Priorat

2008 Ferrer Bobet
hundred-year-old Carignane/Cabernet

This is a spice laden wine with black currants, blueberry and a loooong finish. The tannins and overall minerality to this wine are velvety and mouthcoating in a great way. You can smell a plethora of herbs,flowers smokiness that translate into one big smile on your face. One of the best sub $50 Spanish wines I have ever had. 94pts

IW
Original Post
Last sips were at 3 hours 15 minutes after decanting through a Vinturi and it was still improving. I bought 6 bottles and my note in the cellar log is to wait until 2014 for the next. It's actually fine now, with a bit of a harsh edge that's balanced by the lushness of the fruit. I think it's secondary characteristics will be wonderful as it melds. Maybe a 93++ now.
This is a beauty from Priorat. There is something about Carignan from this part of Spain. In the right hands it offers a plethora of spices and a flowery component that excite the senses. The tannins in this wine are prevalent but not harsh. After 2 hours of decanting the wine had a velvety structure and also a full bodied finish. The main fruits of black cherry and asian 5 spice laden plum were a true delight. This was my last of 3 bottles and I will try and seek other vintages to see how they compare. 94pts.

IW
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
This is a beauty from Priorat. There is something about Carignan from this part of Spain. In the right hands it offers a plethora of spices and a flowery component that excite the senses.

I agree with you, IW. I much prefer Carignan to Garnacha coming out of Priorat and Montsant, as I find the latter sometimes overly ripe and alcoholic. In blends, I find I tend to prefer wines with higher proportions of Carignan in the blend also. It tends to give it more structure/backbone and acidity.
B-O
The Seleccio Especial I believe is all Carignan rather than a blend and sells for almost twice the price of the regular. I believe the suggested retail is about $50 and the Especial is about $90. If you are interested in it I can get you some of the 2011 for mid $80s.

Here is the WA 95pt TN

The special selection, which is also produced with old vines like the current release, the 2011 Selecció Especial is pure Cariñena from the cooler part of the village of Porrera that ferments in oak vats and ages in barrique for 18 months. Compared with the other cuvée, there are more spices here, some vanilla and cinnamon along with heady fruit and flower aromas. The palate has very intense flavors, a powerful wine reflecting the austerity of Priorat and the richness of the vintage, resulting in a difficult combination of power and elegance, with good balance. The tannins are very sophisticated and I'm sure they are ultra careful with this wine (and with the others!) as both Sergi Ferrer-Salat and Raül Bobet pay attention to every small detail. It shows. Another proof that Cariñena behaved better in the torrid and dry 2011. A triumph for the vintage! 2,950 bottles produced.
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
B-O
The Seleccio Especial I believe is all Carignan rather than a blend and sells for almost twice the price of the regular. I believe the suggested retail is about $50 and the Especial is about $90. If you are interested in it I can get you some of the 2011 for mid $80s.

Here is the WA 95pt TN

The special selection, which is also produced with old vines like the current release, the 2011 Selecció Especial is pure Cariñena from the cooler part of the village of Porrera that ferments in oak vats and ages in barrique for 18 months. Compared with the other cuvée, there are more spices here, some vanilla and cinnamon along with heady fruit and flower aromas. The palate has very intense flavors, a powerful wine reflecting the austerity of Priorat and the richness of the vintage, resulting in a difficult combination of power and elegance, with good balance. The tannins are very sophisticated and I'm sure they are ultra careful with this wine (and with the others!) as both Sergi Ferrer-Salat and Raül Bobet pay attention to every small detail. It shows. Another proof that Cariñena behaved better in the torrid and dry 2011. A triumph for the vintage! 2,950 bottles produced.

IW, if you do bring in a case, I will take 3 or 4. Just text me so I don't miss out, please.

Add Reply

Likes (0)