I have heard little good about this wine...especially for such a fine vintage. I have one bottle and am considering opening it tonight. Does anyone expect it to get better with more time in the cellar?

The modest water, awed by power divine, beheld its God and blushed into wine. - John Dryden
Original Post
I had this at a dinner with clients about a year ago. While I recall enjoying it, I also remember thinking that it did not quite live up to the reputation of either the vintage or the "Famous Caymus" name. If I recall correctly, it was given scores in the 90-91 range, which is probably about right, in my view.

My best guess is that it's at its peak and although it will easily hold for another 3-4 years, it is unlikely to improve much.
Thanks for the response Slan. I'm going to go ahead and open it and I'll be sure and post my notes on this thread. I don't have much in the way of expectations so...we'll see.

The modest water, awed by power divine, beheld its God and blushed into wine. - John Dryden
While you've probably had this already, just FYI, I really liked the wine when I had it in late 2001. I probably would have given it about 92.5points

a
Well, I didn't take detailed tasting notes with this because of the setting but I this was much more fairly rated IMO by WS at 91 points than some others. (i.e. BV Tapestry @94) It definitely was a little astringent and green initially but I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of fruit that was present. Definitely not a dark brooding fruit bomb like a lot of other CA cabs but a pleasant austere wine deserving of 90-91 points. Overpriced at $70. Fair at $40-45.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.