1996 Salon Le Mesnil
Wow! Unctuous and rich caremelized nose of figs, white flowers, and toffee leads to a rich, almost syrupy palate, but with enough acid to provide lift. Incredibly long finish heavy on the maple syrup. Plenty of RS here. This is a baby, I would not touch again for at least 5 years. I much prefer the '95 we had a few weeks ago. That said, this didn't suck! 93(+)

1991 Leroy Clos de la Roche
The best Leroy I've ever had. The nose is a smorgasord of flower petals, red raspberries, red cherries, dates, underbrush, and a hint of both brown spice and minerality. Medium-bodied, rich, full of flavor yet light on its feet. The finish is incredible. THIS is what wine is all about. May continue to drink very well for a very long time, but to me, this is in perfect drinking shape right now. Up until the next wine of the evening, this was probably the best wine I'd had in over a year. 94.5

1997 DRC La Tache
When first opened, this was very stemmy. But as the wine sat in the glass... Oh my goodness!!! Black raspberry pie! Christmas! Adirondack pine! A hint of moss; a hint of dates. The nose was just captiviating and rich and I could smell it all day. The palate was medium plus bodied with all these wonderful fruit, brown spice and mineral flavors. The finish was at least a minute. As the night wore of the fig and date component to the nose became that much more powerful. The best wine I've had in well over a year, probably the best Burgundy I've ever had. This will probably continue to improve for another 5+ years, but it is SO good right now. 95.5

2001 La Spinetta Barolo Campe
Decanted 2 1/2 hours. Dark, rich, Bordeaux-lilke nose but with none of the weedy green tobacco character. Lots of brown spices, plumbs, black cherries, cassis, black raspberries, blueberries on the palate. Full bodied for a Barolo. Rich and intense. Long, long finish with tons of medium-grained tannins. This is more modern in style than I thought it would be, given the vintage, and this seemed a bit out of place relative to the other wines. This will get better over the next 5 or 6 years, but I do not expect it to be incredibly long lived. 94.

Great food, great company! Thanks for the call, DRAB!
Original Post
Wow, what a line-up! I had a small taste of the '97 La Tache on release, and at that time it was dominated by truffle and the stemminess you noted - very little fruit, which was not what I had expected = education for me. I rather enjoyed reading your near-simultaneous notes as well. Big Grin Thanks for the notes, gentlemen.
winetarelli, nice line-up, and thanks for the notes.

The '96 Salon is indeed years away from showing at peak, much like many from the '96 vintage, but still darn special.

As for the '97 La Tache, your bottle was showing much better than the two I have had. Both of mine were showing like many '97 Burgs, vegetal and stemmy. My two were an 89 at best, but glad to see your bottle was much much better.

I do not have to tell you how much I love Spinetta. Wink

Thanks for the notes.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

I do not have to tell you how much I love Spinetta. Wink



do tell, I love the rhino. ...

great notes to..
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

I do not have to tell you how much I love Spinetta. Wink



do tell, I love the rhino. ...

great notes to..


I love the rhino as well...

Of course, this was the Barolo, so technically, it was the lion Big Grin

It is funny, I don't think my scores do these wines justice. I relaize I have scored many wines 94+ in the past year, but those two Burgundies were just *haunting* and captivating in a way that a 95 pt CdP just isn't.

It is a shame DRAB didn't even get to the Spinetta -- his glass went to our server. It is one of the best wines of theirs I've had... but it was darker and richer than I had expected -- it deffinitely would have been less out of place at an Hermitage tasting than at a Burgundy tasting.

W+A, our bottle of the La Tache was stemmy at first, but as I said, that blew off, and I've never had a better Burgundy than what emerged! It was a thing of beauty!
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
It is funny, I don't think my scores do these wines justice. I relaize I have scored many wines 94+ in the past year, but those two Burgundies were just *haunting* and captivating in a way that a 95 pt CdP just isn't.


Can I just admit how relieved I am to read that! Big Grin As I was reading, "THIS is what wine is all about... 94.5," and, "The best wine I've had in well over a year, probably the best Burgundy I've ever had... 95.5," I was seriously thinking to myself, "Wow, I am being just WAY too easy in my scoring!" Big Grin 'Loved the descriptions and the passion.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
It is funny, I don't think my scores do these wines justice. I relaize I have scored many wines 94+ in the past year, but those two Burgundies were just *haunting* and captivating in a way that a 95 pt CdP just isn't.



Can I just admit how relieved I am to read that! Big Grin As I was reading, "THIS is what wine is all about... 94.5," and, "The best wine I've had in well over a year, probably the best Burgundy I've ever had... 95.5," I was seriously thinking to myself, "Wow, I am being just WAY too easy in my scoring!" Big Grin 'Loved the descriptions and the passion.


Thanks!

Well, I am a pretty harsh grader. I think the most I ever scored a wine was a 96.5 for the 1992 Dalla Valle 'Maya'. The thing is, there are personal preferences involved, too. I just get much more pleasure out of a 94 point Burgundy or Cote Rotie than I do out of a 94 point Cali Cab. And even then, some 94ish point Burgundies (1991 DRC Grands-Echezaux, 1991 Leroy Clos de la Roche) are much much more special to to me than others (1996 Groffier Bonnes Mares). Just like I've scored the 1975 Haut Brion a 93.5 and the 1982 Pichon-Lalande a 95.5, but I'd that the Haut Brion over the P-L any day of the week, even though I would readily conceed it is the "better" wine based upon what I think of as objective criteria.

My scale is that a 99 is the greatest wine I can possibly concieve of -- the best aspects of every wine I've ever had magnified as much as I can concieve of them being magnified to their pinnicle, then added all together. Hopefully one day I will score a wine over a 99, and if I do, it will mean that all along, I was wrong about how good a wine can be in theory, let alone practice.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
winetarelli, nice line-up, and thanks for the notes.

The '96 Salon is indeed years away from showing at peak, much like many from the '96 vintage, but still darn special.

As for the '97 La Tache, your bottle was showing much better than the two I have had. Both of mine were showing like many '97 Burgs, vegetal and stemmy. My two were an 89 at best, but glad to see your bottle was much much better.

I do not have to tell you how much I love Spinetta. Wink

Thanks for the notes.


W+A, on the '96 Champagne front, I agree with you that many need time, but I would also say of all of them, this is the one that has struck me as "too young" -- I mean, the Taittinger Comtes, the La Grande Dame, and, one of my favorites of all time, and my very favorite Rose the '96 Billecart Cuvee Elisabeth are all wines I could not really argue should not be consumed currently, though I think they all will improve for many years relative to my palate. (Of those three, the Taittinger is probably the one mot in need of time...) This, on the other hand, seemed like it really needed some time to fully come together.
Oh, a few are singing for sure.

I was thinking of a few of my favorite Champagnes, Krug, Salon, Winston Churchill, Philipponnat Clos des Goisses, Jacquesson,Bollinger Grande Annee just to name a few. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Oh, a few are singing for sure.

I was thinking of a few of my favorite Champagnes, Krug, Salon, Winston Churchill, Philipponnat Clos des Goisses, Jacquesson,Bollinger Grande Annee just to name a few. Smile


Oh, you meant the good Champagnes. Cool Razz Wink

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×