This wine has been a favorite of mine since the '94 vintage and, unlike many similar bottlings, hasn't grown a huge ego pricewise.

This isn't an over-the-top, extracted cab but much more "traditional" in style. Deep purple with a slight garnet rim and slightly muted currant nose. Took several hours to open up, I recommending decanting if you have any. Tanins are soft, slightly gritty but well integrated and the wine is well balanced. Fruit is more elegant than overpowering and it was a good match with filet. Has one to two more years in it. Overall a nice but not exceptional wine. About 87pts or similar the speculators release score of 88.
Original Post
jhd;
Seems that alot of '96s were 'built' along that same vein (vine? Big Grin). I still have a few '96s - Benziger Rsv., Cinnabar St. Cruz Mtns., The Hess Collection; with little exception these wines are big wines in a somewhat more restrained way.

Don't know if it was the consumers' palate or the winemakers' touch that began the current hyper-extracted phenomenon, but it'd be if some wineries would have stuck to what put them on the map in the 1st place - good, solid, Bordeaux-like wines.

(musings from the great white thread-killer!)
kybo - I tend to agree. I've had very good luck with my '96s in general.

Another '96 which I felt was under-rated was the BV Tapestry, wonderful fruit and drinking very well right now. Also could be had for a reasonable price back then.

Now-a-days it seems you need to go to Washington or find a small winery with a small ego to get a very nice, reasonably priced cab.
Ya know, your comments on Washington were EXACTLY what I was thinking when I posted my original response:

Apex
Hedges RMR
Col Solare
CMS (vineyard-specific and Reserves)
Quilceda Creek
Gordon Brothers

and I'm sure there are countless others...these Cabs are MUCH more Bordeaux-like than just about anything CA is putting forward these days.

(musings from the great white thread-killer!)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.