Skip to main content

My wife and I attended a Jones Family wine dinner last night at the J&G Steakhouse at the Phoenician. What a great night with amazing food and wines. I was chatting it up quite a bit, so I only took down some quick notes on each wine.

1996 Estate Cabernet (Their debut vintage) - My personal WOTN. Great nose that really draws you into the glass. The nose evolved in several different directions over the hour or so I was enjoying it. Great mouthfeel and structure on the palate, with plenty of tannins still present. Ample acidity aswell...there is no signs of tiring yet - still several years of life ahead of it. Great wine A/A+

2005 "Sisters" Cabernet - My second favorite of the night. Sweet dark and red fruit on the nose with subtle minerality. Concentrated, but elegant with a great mouthfeel. Very young, but approachable with a long life ahead of it. Showed the most promise for long-term cellaring. A-/A

2007 "Sisters" Cabernet - 2007 is the first vintage that Thomas Brown has his handprints on. Though the wines were already in barrel when he came on board, so in reality, the 2008 vintage is the first year that he was truly the winemaker for Jones Family. The 07 Sisters Cabernet has a very closed down nose currently, not much at all going on. The palate is very smooth, elegant and approachable already, despite its youth - not much complexity though. I couldn't really get a read on what this bottle could or will evolve into. It's a good, easy drinking wine, but not much going on right now. B-/B

2007 Estate Cabernet - The exact opposite of the 07 "Sisters" bottling. It has a vibrant nose that jumps out of the glass, but the palate is very tight and shut down currently. It reveals great structure and great potential on the palate. Definitely another very ageworthy bottle. A-/A
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.