Was in Costco the other day, and they had this 92 WA CS from Washington State...2015 Wines of Substance by Charles Smith.

For $12.99 I figured I had nothing to lose...it was your typical sweet, syrupy alcoholic mess...reminded me of the early 2000s when RMP was doling out Aussie Shiraz's 97-100 points left and right which I found borderline undrinkable.

My wife and I had a glass each, and dumped the rest down the drain the next day...it did not improve with age!

Too many of these sub $20 wines taste the same, and while they're not vegetal, thin and acidic like bad wines from yesteryear, they're still dreadful in their own way.
Original Post
It's fair to say (in my experience) that you tend to get what you pay for with cabernet in the sub-$100 space. In the triple digit space there are a lot of over priced, faux-classic offerings. I've frequently been disappointed by inexpensive domestic red wine rated 90+ points, but I've had very good luck over the years finding outstanding bottles of Bordeaux for under $20. I tasted several cheap 2015 & 2016 Bordeaux on a ski trip to the French Alps in January. Greatly enjoyed the 2015 Gravettes-Samonac which was about $9 dollars over there. The ratings inflation with Parker and Suckling is nuts compared to how comparable quality was rated in the 80s & 90s. Tanzer and Spectator are resisting, but also creeping up. Improved wine making techniques may have lifted the entire ship, but what percentage of producers should be considered to be producing "classic" wines? In my mind, ratings should be relative the current population of producers, not in comparison to wines from bygone eras. This rambled more than I wanted. :-)
Agree with these posts. Find WA/RP doling out way too high grades. And has Suckling ever tasted a wine that isn’t 93+ points. WS please resist.
Think some of wineries who make the sub $20 bottles are working hard to make genuine QPR wines. Much rather be disappointed with these than the $100+ ones.
quote:
Originally posted by DrAzul:
Agree with these posts. Find WA/RP doling out way too high grades. And has Suckling ever tasted a wine that isn’t 93+ points. WS please resist.
Think some of wineries who make the sub $20 bottles are working hard to make genuine QPR wines. Much rather be disappointed with these than the $100+ ones.

I always deduct 5-7 points from any suckling score. No matter what he has reviewed
It'll be interesting to see how folks react to the new scores from William Kelley, the new WA critic for SB and SLO counties as well as Burgundy. He definitely has a more 'euro-centric' palate and will be 'recalibrating' the area score-wise to some extent . . .

Cheers

Add Reply

Likes (0)