I'm going to open this baby up to celebrate my wife's 40th b-day (right before I tell her about her surprise cruise and trip to northern Italy). Anyway, my question is about decanting. I am going to bring it to a fine Italian restaurant; do I need to decant it first? I was hoping, because of the age I wouldn't need to let it stand for very long. I probably need to decant to get rid of the sediment. How long do I need to let it stand? Any thoughts?
Original Post
This wine should be ready to go. I would stand the bottle up in your cellar for at least 24 hours to let the sediment settle to the bottom. I would serve it directly from the bottle and let what little decantation it needs occur in your glass. Use a big Burgundy glass. I'm fairly certain this wine is close to optimum maturity now, maybe even starting it's downhill descent, so don't risk losing any flavor or nose to a decanter.

VA
Is this the same wine as Giacosa's Le Rocche del Falleto? If so it should be drinking very well.

I just had a 1978 Gaja Barbaresco which has a similar pedigree and it was going strong. I would not be afraid to decant it before you went to the restaurant to remove the sediment and give it a little air. Even a 1967 Borgogno Barolo Riserva that I had last week improved a bit with a little air time. Not too much air though.

VM
The La Rocche del Falletto is a subsection near the top of the Falletto vineyard that Giacosa bottles separately as a red label riserva in great vintages. The white label is labeled Falletto di Serralunga with grapes taken from parts of the whole vineyard. Both are great wines.

I would give this wine a short breather in a decanter just to loosen it up. Ten or fifteen minutes ought to do the trick then you can enjoy the wine opening and developing during your dinner.

I would also suggest you take to the wine to the restaurant the day before if possible so you don't shake the bottle around. There should be very little sediment, but I hate to bounce around older wines just before I drink them. Also you don't want it to be too warm.

Have a great dinner!

Craig Camp
http://www.vinocibo.com

Add Reply

Likes (0)