I am wondering if the chance of getting a "bad" bottle (wine and/or champagne) is just as good with a Mag vs. 750ml bottle. I notice some of the forumites like Mags, is this just due to the size or is their more to it?
Original Post
Logically, there seems no reason there would be any difference between Magnums and regular bottlings in regards to any `threat` obtaining a `bad` bottle. Personally, I enjoy larger formats several times for the following reasons:

They typically age slower in the larger format.
They serve well for larger groups.
Are fun to present at a celebration or gathering.
I enjoy collecting them
They can often bring a higher price at resale, should you ever decide to do so.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I see your points KSC, but I guess my concern is, 2 bottles of 750 are less likely to both be corked vs 1 mag? I wasnt sure if Mags are less likely to be bad due to volume within the bottle? Or if that has anything at all to do with it?

I`m thinking volume has nothing to do with this. I`ve never read of `volume` having any influence, one way or another on these issues. In fact, barrels themselves can become contanimated. However, I have no facts to back up this statement. Purely my `logic` and opinion.
Well, if the source of TCA is strictly coming from "the cork" and in a 750 it imparts say 5ppm then wouldn't that concentration be down to 2.5ppm in a 1.5L? If your threshold is say 3ppm, the mag wouldn't be detectable?

Otherwise I say 2/3.

Add Reply

Likes (0)