Skip to main content

Went to my wine locker today and met a nice couple who were taking inventory of a pallet of wine. On the pallet were orginal wood cases of '75, '82, '90, and I believe '00 Bordeaux. The lady's father had recently passed and they were taking inventory in preparation of an estate sale. I first expressed my condolences and asked her plans on the wine. She replied that she would sell to whomever sent her a check as she would prefer to have a new kitchen than drink the wine. The two children had split the cellar and she was reviewing pricing that a couple of auction houses had sent her as guidelines. She had enjoyed the wine with her father on special occasions and the wine had been properly cellared since purchase with the exception of being on a refridgerated truck when moving to California years ago.

She is updating the inventory as some of the numbers did not match. I have her contact information if anyone is interested in pursuing this type of situation. This is out of my price range and I have absolutely no interest in this but thought I would share this online as there may be some here who might be interested in some of these bottles that were labeled Petrus, Mouton Rothschild, Latour, Mission Haut-Brion, Margaux, Pichon-Longueville-Comtesse-de-Lalande, and perhaps some others as the stack of boxes was 4-5 feet high and filled the pallet.

Toward the end of their inventory they needed some extra boxes and happened to use a Yellowtail Shiraz box to hold some of the overflow of their inventory. I laughed at the thought of possibly an '82 Bordeaux being stored in a Yellowtail box. The gentelman explained to his wife that it was the Australian equivalent of two buck chuck and we shared a nice laugh. And no, I did not notice if it was a Yellowtail RESERVE box.

She is pursuing other avenues to sell these wines. If interested, I will forward your interest to her and the two of you can cuss and discuss issues if she is interested. She is a bright lady and very aware of the current wine market.

poo_yie2002 at y a h o o dot com
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.