Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@irwin posted:

It was a pretty good broadcast, but I don’t think I’ll be having any British bubbly really soon. I wonder how much is exported to the USA anyway.  

Some started appearing in the Chicago market a few years ago. We’ve tried several at year-end Sparkling/Champagne tastings and both my wife and I thought they were surprisingly good. Digby was the one producer I can recall. The ones we tried were in the lower price point of Champagne, say $30-$40. While good wines, at that price point I’m likely sticking with Champagne. Semi-related note - I’m a big fan of Schramsberg, or was until they started pushing into the mid to upper $30’s for their base bottlings.

Last edited by billhike

I’ve tried a few that have been part of the LCBO’s offerings. Henners was one, I believe. Decent, but at that price point (or less), I’d buy Graham Beck Brut Zero before any UK sparkler.  

There’s another UK sparkler currently available at the LCBO that’s highly rated:

2014 Chapel Down Kit’s Coty Blancs de BlanC

…but it’s $90 CAD and I can think of a whole lot of Champagne at that price point that I’d buy before taking a chance on a UK sparkling wine.

Understood, but I think that the point of the 60 Minutes piece was that the presumably continuing changes in the climate will make producing quality wine in the needed quantities in Champagne (and many other wine producing regions) increasingly more difficult while simultaneously bringing other regions into an appropriate temperature range for wine production.

Assuming this does come to pass, can we expect pricing to increase at an accelerated pace to tip the scales in this quality vs cost evaluation? Or perhaps reduced exports driving local price gouging?

I've had a few English sparklers when we lived there.  The impression was they were enjoyable, like a solid prosecco, but were overpriced for the quality.  With climate change, I wouldn't be surprised if the quality improves over the next decade.  Having travelled both in the Champagne region and southwestern England/East of England, the landscapes are fairly similar.  The problem UK growers/vintners would face is the cost of land and labor is a prohibitor for exports, unless the pound corrects.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.