If you want a 1956 wine just to say you drank one, then Bordeaux is your best bet. They are relatively cheap and you might actually find one that is drinkable (note the recent TN on the 1956 Haut-Brion). I've had the Haut-Brion and also the Latour, and both are passable wines at best, of interest mainly due to their age and the dreadful reputation of 1956 Bordeaux.

If you want a 1956 wine that is more than just drinkable, the (surprising) place to look would be California. Charles Krug Vintage Selection and Louis Martini Special Selection were both good, bordering on great wines when I last tried them in 2001. Both will be expensive because they are the only decent wines made anywhere in the world in 1956!

Look for Bordeaux in 1957, specifically Graves. They will be expensive, but in the case of La Mission Haut-Brion and Haut-Brion they are probably worth it.

Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Disagree. Virtually nothing from Bordeaux from 1956 and 1957 is still drinkable. My sole choice would be the 1957 Lynch-Bages, the best wine I've had from anywhere from those vintages, but perfect provenance is a requisite.

Quite a sweeping statement. Both years have significance to me and I have purchased and consumed quite a few wines from both vintages. While we pretty much agree on 1956 Bordeaux, I can only assume that the 1957s you've tried have been from far-less-than-perfect provenance. Try a 1957 La Mission Haut-Brion that has good provenance (doesn't even need to be "perfect"), and you will have tasted your first quality 1957 Bordeaux.

Never had the '57 Lynch-Bages, but I know the chateau made excellent wines in the '50s, so I'll keep my eye out for a bottle.

Mark
Well, it wasn't originally clear whether you thought the '57 Lynch-Bages was quality, but you've clarified that.

I decided to pull out some texts to see if anyone rated the '57 Lynch-Bages. I had to go back to the 1991 editions of Parker and Broadbent, but they both had good things to say about the wine in 1991. Broadbent gave it "at best three stars but risky", and Parker gave it 88 points. Not bad for an off vintage wine...

While the books were out, I thought I'd check what they said about a couple other wines. For the '57 La Mission Haut-Brion, Broadbent gave it "four stars will keep" and Parker gave it 93 points. Glancing in the California section of Broadbent's book, he gave the '56 Charles Krug Vintage Selection cab five stars...

Mark
I too have a personal interest in the 1956 vintage, and I may have mentioned once or twice that I enjoy port ( Wink), but while 1956 was a great year to be born (based at least on all the wonderful people born that year.... Roll Eyes), it did not seem to yield any drinkable ports. Probably just as well, I spend too much on it already....

Add Reply

Likes (0)