I wouldn't completely write off Renault. They won in '06 at the expense of '07 R&D, then pretty much went straight to the '08 car. So Alonso is the dark horse.

I'll hedge with Hamilton as driver and Ferrari as constructor.

Half Schumacher says it all...
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
quote:
Originally posted by Sticky2:
I think you will find most Americans out of touch with F1. They think everyone races in circles.

I must disagree.

Maybe there will be less interest this year because there is no USGP, but there are race fans everywhere.

It won't effect the hard-core fans, just the incidental ones. Mostly those in relative proximity to the track. I don't think the USGP increased F1's niche much at all.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sticky2:
I think you will find most Americans out of touch with F1. They think everyone races in circles.

I must disagree.

Maybe there will be less interest this year because there is no USGP, but there are race fans everywhere.

I was referring to most Americans in general, not most Americans on this board. The Americans on this board are a bit different than the norm.
With recent news re McLaren, with Ron Dennis getting sacked, I would expcet them to regress.

BMW will improve and be on podium in Oz

Renault will start slow, and be on podiums mis-season.

Red Bull & Toro Rosso will struggle and then get their s^&* together

Force Inda = Farce India

Super Aguri - If they run will beat team cars

Honda & Toyota - Park it

Ferrari - will excell

I firmly feel that US fans only understand NASCAR etc. with roundy round racing. They also do not understand real car set-up and how to technically handle hills, curves, and braking. They have little or no idea what a circuit is VS a track [re oval] Indy cars until they got off an oval were boring.

We forumites may be different than the rest of the American breed, but would doubt that there are that many fans either. Look at Indy F1, few folks show up. Speed week at Daytona for Forluma & production cars [24 hours] few fans. Daytona 500 place is packed.

NASCAR & Indy cars [USAC days] controlled the race with indescriminate yellow flags to keep pack together to provide more 'spectator appeal'

My pedigree re issue: Ex-Formula One official, SCCA official, CART official, race driver of open wheel formulas, and closed wheel [ie Porsche]. Have been in field for 40 years.

PS: IMHO NASCAR is Spelled BORING
NAPCAR/NASCRAP or whatever you want to call it. Sometimes they pull off an okay race at Sears Point, but that's about it.

I actually know a lot of F1 fans (away from the track). My friends who go to Montreal every year saw no reason to change when the Indy deal came along (though I do have friends who've gone to Indy).
We'll have to see how qualifying goes, but I think this may be Massa's year. After how he helped out Kimi, and was not outwardly bitter (see F. Alonso), the powers to be at the prancing horse should give him a chance to be the champ. He also is of Italian blood, which must make him more popular with the hometown fans. Last year my preseason pick was Kimi, and I can certainly see him winning it all again, still something tells me Massa will be number one for Ferrari this season.
quote:
And VT2IT, I didn't know Massa had Italian blood. I thought he was all Brazilian.
His grandfather was from the town of Cerignola in Apulia. Former New York mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's father was also born there.
Seems that Max got his sexual energy along with his politics from dear old dad. "Mosley was a noted philanderer and had numerous affairs, including, before his first marriage, a short romance with his first wife's older sister Mary Irene Curzon.

In May 1920, he married Cynthia Curzon (known as 'Cimmie'), second daughter of George Nathaniel Curzon, Lord Curzon of Kedleston, (a former Viceroy of India), and Lord Curzon's first wife, the American mercantile heiress, the former Mary Victoria Leiter. Lord Curzon had to be persuaded that Mosley was a suitable husband, as he suspected Mosley was largely motivated by social advancement and her inheritance. Nevertheless, the wedding was the social event of the year, attended by many branches of European royalty, including King George V and Queen Mary.

He had three children by Cynthia: Vivien (b. 1921), Nicholas Mosley (b. 1923), who wrote a biography of his father, and Michael (1932).

During this marriage he had an extended affair with his wife's younger sister Lady Alexandra Metcalfe, as well as their stepmother, Grace Curzon, Marchioness Curzon of Kedleston, the American-born second wife and widow of Lord Curzon of Kedleston.

Cynthia died of peritonitis in 1933, which left Mosley (though stricken with grief and remorse) free to marry his then current mistress Diana Guinness, née Mitford, (one of the celebrated Mitford sisters). They married in secret in 1936, in the Berlin home of Nazi chief Joseph Goebbels. Adolf Hitler was one of the guests. By Diana Mitford, he had two sons: Alexander (b. 1938) and Max Mosley (b. 1940), who is president of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)." While he will never be as evil as his father, I hate seeing people like this in positions of power.
Meeting in Paris next month to review issue. Dutch Sporting group has already announced that they will vote to toss him.

I doubt that the other 221 delegates will be too optomistic to keep him on.

The PM of Baharain told Max to stay home as he was not welcome in the country.

Not too sure who will follow Max, but doubt it will be Todt.
quote:
Great race. This Turkey track has now moved into my top 4 race tracks (Canada, Spa, Monaco...all for different reasons).

I heard an interesting statistic today. Of all the sponsors in F1, the country with the most financial interest is the good ol' USA. And yet they don't have a race. Ironic? Next year for sure.

Reason is: Poor finaccial support, Poor TV ratings, Poor attendance. Add politics with IRL, FOMA, FIA etc.

As a prior F1 official, Indy does not constititute a great circuit. we need something better. The Glen was good, but now very much outdated, we do not need to race in LV parking lots, nor on an oval.

Renault is moving up, but expcect BMW to get more points than McLaren within next couple races.

Surprising stat, as with the mid-eastern interests, EU area,I would be surprised that the US is at the top. Obviously the EU and ME constitute aboout 30 countries.

As for Circuit Villeneuve, I appreciated the old layout VS the change to move the Pits to old station eight. I loved teh dip at the end of pit out.
Do those stats figure in the actual shareholder ownership of those publicly-owned companies or just where they are based?

Anyway, marketing relates to where the products are sold, not who's profiting from selling them.

Brings to mind all the NASCAR fans whining about Toyota. While the former Big Three have massively exported jobs (how "patriotic" is that?), Toyota and Honda have come in bringing jobs. So, as far as providing U.S. jobs and contributing to the U.S. economy, the real Big Three is GM, Toyota and Honda.
Anyway, cheers to Massa. Hope Ferrari aren't really trying to oust him.

I'd like to see Sato and Davidson land somewhere good. I've been wanting to see what Davidson could do in a decent seat for a long time (aside from leading the time sheets for many Friday practice sessions for several years.)
Ferrarie is trying, however Massa manager is Todt's son. However, management is also seeking to dump Todt, & he is sought to be the new FIA boss.

If Massa, goes, there will be a bidding war for some drivers.

Ant hopefully will wind up with a test driver slot - somewhere
quote:
Originally posted by flwino:Massa is better than Kimi this year, so I would expect him to stay, and Kimi to depart

Umm, this is F1. Don't expect a rational decision.

This is where teams with $300M budgets wait several years to getting around to developing safety car strageies. A driver is signed to a lucrative testing contract for a car he is too tall to test. Teams sabotage their own results to get a driver out of contract. Etc...
I was at the F1 all weekend. Hamilton in the lead over 10sec but funny how things can change so quickly. Exciting stuff.

PS, the real reason F1 was removed from the US is ONLY because the interests behind NASCAR were worried F1 would over shadow it. All the Americans who I spoke to this weekend about F1 say it is way bigger than NASCAR. But then again, I may be just talking to the converted.
Good race with major exceptions:

1] Absolute stupidity on part of Hamilton. Nice he got a deserved 10 place penalty at GP France. Too bad Rosberg got sucked in for a 10 place penalty too. Kimi was pissed.
2] Age old problem there with track surface. Has been a problem since 76. Breaks up at hair pin, and turn 5.
3] FOX TV sucks!!!! Missed Peter Windsor pre-race show, had so many commercials that it detracted from race, and at the end they cut the Interlocatory short in midst of Kubica interview. BTW Fox will televise GP France.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:PS, the real reason F1 was removed from the US is ONLY because the interests behind NASCAR were worried F1 would over shadow it. All the Americans who I spoke to this weekend about F1 say it is way bigger than NASCAR. But then again, I may be just talking to the converted.

Did you make this up or where did you get this conspiracy? It's about money. Bernie wants it all to the degree that most F1 hosts lose money. Both sides still want the race. We're just seeing the results of hardcore financial negotiations.

NASCAR is much bigger than F1 in the U.S., but worldwide F1 has a BILLION or so more viewers. Not exactly profound or controversial saying its bigger.
Being a loyalist to circuits, and not ovals, I would love to see nothing more at Indy.

we should be able to modify and upgrade an existing track for F1, and get back to real racing. i.e. Road America

If not that, a decent city course. Long Beach was not one of those I would include.

Nas-crap does not appeal to me at all. I'm still an old bold open wheel racer, and do know how to turn right. Razz
flwino, et al.,

There's a lot of the same sentiment here in Indianapolis, for sure. A lot of factors, from Bernie E and Tony George's "love" for each other, the "foreignness" of it all, the inability of most teams to compete for wins, to the dislike of the circuit by F1 drivers (for the record, most of the track is not on the oval). But, having hung around the drivers and the "scene" for the years it was here, it was the Michelin fiasco of 2005 that did the race in. Folks take racing seriously here in Indy, and that sham of a race, IMO, was the nail in the F1 coffin.

Still, I was sad to see it go. The International crowds were a lot of fun, and it brought an element of sophistication to a basically pork tenderloin and potatoes area. Hope that the MotoGP race this summer will revive some of that.
The problem is great tracks like Road America won't work with Bernie's financial and other demands. Indy was a sort of compromise. It's a population center and racing mecca with adequate accommodations. Still, Bernie was compromising on his sanctioning fee, because he does want a U.S. race. Remember, he controls broadcast rights and signage, so the track has only the gate and (non-race related) concessions to recoup the sanction fee and make a profit. Not easy, and attendance had declined.
His ego is too big for his helmet.

I love him so much I turn off the sound during the interlocatrories. Roll Eyes

He is too immature. Thinks world owes him a living. Vettel is younger, and more solid.

As you can see I'm not cheering for McLaren this year. Looking at BMW or Williams

Add Reply

Likes (0)