Skip to main content

It's been some time since I've posted on wine.  While I routinely drink cellarworthy wines, most meet expectations relatively closely, especially for the higher prices, and so don't need another amateur post by me.  But, every once in a while, a reasonably priced wine beats expectations with solid surprise. My last one in this price range was the 2018 Ridge Geyserville Zin blend. This is another:  This wine is inky dark purple, with faint aromas of earth and blackberry, is plush on the mid palate, and has hints of olive and pepper on a blackberry- plum base finish.  On day 3 post vacuvin, the wine was still delicious.  Concerns over smoke taint for 2020 wines abound and have made me wary of reds, though perhaps these concerns are more directed to Napa and Sonoma. Still, I've always liked the quality for the price in particular of this winery. At $30, I figured, no harm, no foul for a toe in the water.  But this was quite good on it's own, and for the price, dare I say terrific.   I purchased some more of these for everyday cellar defending {and of the flagship 2020 Colson County for cellaring} based on this. Clearly 2020 is not an unmitigated disaster for reds. Consider giving this wine a shot.

Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.