Skip to main content

Less than two months to go.  

How are you planning on casting your ballot?

I just mailed my application for a mail-in ballot in my home state of Maryland.

Our Republican Governor required residents to apply for a mail-in ballot as opposed to just sending ballots to registered voters.  I'll keep an eye on my mailbox for the ballot.  Will probably mail-in, although I'm concerned about signature verification.  My signature has varied a bit over the years.  They will use my 5 year old driver's license signature, so I guess I'll practice a little before sending it in.

PH

Last edited by purplehaze
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I will crawl on my belly through broken glass among COVID infected, non-mask wearer MAGAts to cast my vote early in person.  This is too important to me to risk not having my vote counted.  I'd risk catching COVID to vote against you know who.

I would do the same.  But I'm in CA, which is going to be Biden +30.  So I'll mail in my absentee ballot ASAP.  Certainly by early October.

I will crawl on my belly through broken glass among COVID infected, non-mask wearer MAGAts to cast my vote early in person.  This is too important to me to risk not having my vote counted.  I'd risk catching COVID to vote against you know who.

Same here - although here in Key West - we were the only ones there in the election last month so hopefully will be similar in November (in terms of the voting experience)

@patespo1 posted:

I had this thought also, which is why we got out early.  

I saw some lines in Georgia yesterday over 5 hours.  Voter suppression at its best.

You can't beat the Texas governor when it comes to voter suppression. I don't know the counties in Texas, but how difficult would it be if there was only one drop box in San Diego county? These guys aren't even subtle about it.

Last edited by The Old Man

It is truly remarkable how a place like Texas can have so few drop boxes.  We have around 10 or 11 just in our county and 11 early voting locations in the county also.  We have about 600 square miles of land in the county with under 900,000 people.  Texas has 268,000 square miles and 29 million people. Not sure how many early voting places or drop boxes there are in Texas, but I heard they closed a bunch.

@irwin posted:

It is truly remarkable how a place like Texas can have so few drop boxes.  We have around 10 or 11 just in our county and 11 early voting locations in the county also.  We have about 600 square miles of land in the county with under 900,000 people.  Texas has 268,000 square miles and 29 million people. Not sure how many early voting places or drop boxes there are in Texas, but I heard they closed a bunch.

254 drop boxes for the entire state.  1 per county.  which is insane if you think about the density and area of tarrant and harris county.

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

• be 65 years or older;
  • be sick or disabled;
  • be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
  • be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

How would the Election Board be able to determine if you were in or out of the county on election day?  I'm assuming this is a formality to say more than anything.

See above.  Not exactly easy to get a mail in ballot to begin with.  However, early voting is a different matter.  Sure, you have to go in person.  But there are tons of early voting locations in Texas.  Lines are usually shorter and quicker and the during the primaries they did a really good job of spacing people out, having disinfectant available, sanitizing the pen and surfaces, etc...  So with a mask and other COVID safeguards you can vote here safely IMHO.

Something else that helps is in Texas you can now vote at any location in your county.  You can use one by your house, near your work, etc...  I have at least 5-6 locations within 5 miles of my house.  Plenty of options.

See above.  Not exactly easy to get a mail in ballot to begin with.  However, early voting is a different matter.  Sure, you have to go in person.  But there are tons of early voting locations in Texas.  Lines are usually shorter and quicker and the during the primaries they did a really good job of spacing people out, having disinfectant available, sanitizing the pen and surfaces, etc...  So with a mask and other COVID safeguards you can vote here safely IMHO.

Something else that helps is in Texas you can now vote at any location in your county.  You can use one by your house, near your work, etc...  I have at least 5-6 locations within 5 miles of my house.  Plenty of options.

My sister went and early voted in Austin yesterday. Said it took about 20 minutes and described all of the sanitation practices you listed above.

Just dropped off my mail-in ballot in the local drop box.  It's 75 degrees this afternoon, so the 3/4 mile round trip felt really good in a couple of ways.  I was also glad to see an election judge in her car 100 ft. or so from the drop box.

I didn't want to rely on the mail, although I've had great luck with the USPS over the years.  Spend some time overseas and you'll realize that they're actually pretty good a delivering stuff.  I wish them the best this election.

Now that my ballot is in, I can track it online through the process.  If it's not confirmed by election day, I'll take another walk and cast a provisional.

Vote.  Please vote.  We need every sane voter in the country to say, "Enough."

PH

Last edited by purplehaze

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.