purplehaze posted:

What the hell is "fish dip" ??  If it's really a thing, it needs another name!

PH

Do you seriously not know what fish dip is?  Maybe it's a Florida thing.  I thought it was more ubiquitous.  

Down here, the kingfish that run in the winter are excellent for smoking and making into dip.  I'm pretty sure there are dips made from other fish, such as trout.   You can find fish dip at almost any seafood store or shop.

Rothko posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

Do you seriously not know what fish dip is?  Maybe it's a Florida thing.  I thought it was more ubiquitous.  

Down here, the kingfish that run in the winter are excellent for smoking and making into dip.  I'm pretty sure there are dips made from other fish, such as trout.   You can find fish dip at almost any seafood store or shop.

Also often made with mahi, occasionally grouper.  Smoked,  Calypso near my office, in Lauderdale has my favorite - its with mahi.  Less mayo than many - served with jalapenos.  

Some good options in Key West, but nothing as good as there.  OF course, home smoked fish turned into dip is even better.

https://calypsorestaurant.com/calypso_menus.html

Calypso also uses the name "dolphin" instead of "mahi" so you know that they are old-school.

I stopped calling it dolphin a long time ago because people thought I meant that we were eating Flipper.

Just the thought of a good smoked fish dip, with crackers and peppers is making me hungry.

Rothko posted:
purplehaze posted:

PH

Thanks to all for the explanations.  Now that I know what it is, I've certainly had it before.  Until the original post, I had never heard the term "fish dip," before.

Mrs. VeV had some friends over and put me to work.

grilled shrimp & shisito peppers / ginger/lime/sesame w. riesling

sepia fettucine/carmelized fennel/nduja/pecorino w. mavrodaphne

sousvide/seared loin of venison w. juniper / cannelini beans/ chicoria w. rioja

more wine for dessert for the ladies.  I had some goslings family reserve and put the boys to bed.

Marinated hanger steak (soy, sherry, ginger, garlic and spices) with a late season tomato salad, potatoes au gratin and a crusty baguette.  375 of Le 1995 Vieux Donjon and 375 of Vieux Telegraphe, followed by a 750 of 1990 Mont-Rendon with the remainders of the meal, and some selected cheeses.  Food and wine?  Both excellent!!!  

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)