Skip to main content

Sheffield are in 5th place! And I picked them for relegation.And Spurs are in 14th, but at least I didn't pick them in the top 4.

Enjoyed watching the Liverpool-City game on Sunday. Liverpool are very efficient converting the chances they get. Outplayed by City but look at the result. Hopefully City will still be feeling down the weekend after next for the match against Chelsea.

Also watched the Leicester-Arsenal game on Saturday. Easy to see why Emery hasn't played Ozil much this season. Really poor. I hear Ramsey is doing well at Juve.

I don't know if I'd agree with your assessment of Ozil on Saturday.  I'm a pretty decent fan of Ozil, so take that for what it's worth, but to me he showed plenty of positivity and creativity.  He'll never be a defender, but he can definitely unlock defenses.  I'd love to see them play the old 4-2-1-3, with Lacazette, Auba, and Pepe up top, with Ozil right behind them.  The problem is with the 6 guys behind them. 

And as much as it pains me to say it, Chelsea are the most exciting team for me to watch in the Premier League.  Willian and Pulisic are looking dangerous and Abraham is consistently putting it in the back of the net.  Jorginho looks way more confident, almost to the point that Kante seems surplus (in case Roman is listening and wants to give him to Arsenal for free).  

mimik posted:
steve8 posted:

I’ve been recently rethinking about my support for Chelsea. I have come around to thinking that even though Chelsea are doing well so far this season, I think Arsenal might just be the better team overall.

Couldn’t agree with you more.

Did you really fabricate that? Isn't there an unwritten rule on internet forums against doing shit like that?

steve8 posted:
mimik posted:
steve8 posted:

I’ve been recently rethinking about my support for Chelsea. I have come around to thinking that even though Chelsea are doing well so far this season, I think Arsenal might just be the better team overall.

Did you really fabricate that? Isn't there an unwritten rule on internet forums against doing shit like that?

Yes and what's your point? It was more wishful thinking.

mimik posted:
steve8 posted:
mimik posted:
steve8 posted:

Yes and what's your point? It was more wishful thinking.

You’re referring to the ladies’ squads, eh?

steve8 posted:

Hey, I called that one right. How are Mourinho and Levy going to agree on anything? I foresee Harry Kane being sold and Lukaku bought from Inter.

The ManUre-Spurs game on Dec. 4 should be interesting.

Rumours are that one of the conditions of Mourinho taking the job was for Kane to *not* be sold this summer.

Interesting times, indeed. I have more comments on this whole saga, but I'll need to follow up later.

Glad to see some banter re Mourinho.  As I said when Klopp joined, he makes the PL a more interesting place.  I remember when I first started watching the premier league in 06, or so, watching the blues trail 0-1 in the 85 minute, you knew they weren’t out of it, grinding it out...lamps, Drogba, Cole makalele, Cech...they were a force, and how many times did they seal 0-1 wins in the death throes.  Seeing him with his arms around lamps and terry when they lost the league, you knew his lads believed in him.   As a neutral, i’ve never really rooted for the guy, but the last time he won the PL with aging players was a feat.  How he’s fallen...the ex-special one...it’s been train wreck material, and this move has drawn rightful attention.

Otherwise, looking for the Reds to keep nerves at bay and win the league and Foxes to keep a champions league place...they’ve made a few statements so far.  I’d have hoped for more out of Norwich, but can’t say their league position is unexpected.

The Bale saga is a sad story all around.  This is the nature of high dollar footballers, and check books without limits.

Man , this place is dead these days.  I guess that’s why I only visit once ever few weeks or so....

Nice draw by Norwich... entertaining match.  I thought they’d nick all 3 points at the end.  

LCFC...grinding it out...well done.

Can’t say anything unexpected by Tottenham.  Fortitude is something I’d expect them to shore up.

Champions League and Europa League draws for the knock out phase are done.

Bring on Cheatski.  Might as well get it on right up front.

Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid
Real Madrid vs Manchester City
Borussia Dortmund vs Paris Saint-Germain
Chelsea vs Bayern Munich
Lyon vs Juventus
Barcelona vs Napoli
Tottenham vs RB Leipzig
Atalanta vs Valencia

ManU drew Club Brugge.  Should be a good series.  ManU will need to be in good form to beat them.  They are not easy.

Joe, if Chelsea continue to play the way they have the past few weeks you have nothing to worry about.  The kids seem to have lost their confidence, Jorginho has returned to normal and Kepa needs to spend some time on the bench.

Arsenal were indeed a mess. WTF were they doing during the Kolasinac injury? Voluntarily playing with 10 men against a team like City? Arsenal fans had every reason to boo and leave early.

Looks like Mikel Arteta is to take over at Arsenal. Seems like a good choice to me but we'll see.

And Ancelotti to become manager at Everton? Ferguson wasn't given much of a chance despite 3 decent performance in a row since stepping in. I know it was interim but...

Bayern. I haven't seen any of their games recently but I have noticed that just turned 19 year old Alphonso Davies has been part of the starting XI a lot. Good for him. His is a wonderful story.

I've stayed away from this forum since Arsenal has basically sucked butt this year.  Emery was a disaster.  And Xhaka represents everything horrible about Arsenal, all in one convenient place.  He is an above average offensive player, able to spray passes all across the field and he has a cannon for a left foot.  But he goes missing in big games, he sucks at defense, with his errors usually costing the team greatly, was given the captain's armband, only to get it taken away after he cussed at his own fans after yet another disastrous performance.  

I hope Arteta is able to inspire the squad.  Somehow Lacazette has been shunned, but I have enjoyed having Pepe/Ozil/Auba all on the field at the same time.  They haven't quite hit on all cylinders yet, but the makings are there.  It just happens that their defense is legitimately horse crap.  DeBruyne's first goal was classic Arsenal.  They looked impressive on attack, gave up possession, opposing team counters, and then scores with precision, as Arsenal's young hope (in this case Martinelli) fails to track back and pick up his man.  At some point, Arsenal needs to hire a lesser known coach who gets players who play defense.  How on earth does a team like Sheffield United give up 11 less goals in the same amount of games?  

That seems a bit harsh JC. I've watched games in which he certainly seems to lack motivation but there are several others on the team with the same problem. He didn't help his situation last week with his social media comments about China which isn't to say he doesn't have a right to his opinions, but stating them publicly like that is always going to have repercussions.

The game between the Gunners and Everton this morning was seriously poor. If I had to single out a useless Arsenal player I would point to Torreira. Too easy to knock off the ball and he inevitably ends up on the ground acting like he was shot. Martinelli isn't much better. Arteta has a huge job.

Interesting matches yesterday.  Man U really stunk it up

Chelsea outplayed Spurs big time and Lampard outfoxed Mourinho.  Willian's goal was beautiful (granted the defending was rubbish), and that Keeper challenge/foul was almost as bad as De Gea's howler on Saturday.

Not sure what to think of Son's red card - he kicked out and you can't do it but Rudiger basically tackled NFL style), it was uncalled, he then held him upside down and I can't really blame him for doing it - just give them both yellows and be done with it. - 

Obviously the racist chants/gestures - if they took place (which I assume they did) are totally unacceptable and don't make any sense - both teams feature many players of many races from all over the world - I simply do not understand but . . .

I didn't see the Chelsea-Southampton game and I'm glad for it. Would have been a waste of 2 hours from what I've heard and read. Their home record is poor, especially when playing teams in the bottom half of the table. Fortunately the game against the Gunners tomorrow is at the Emirates. ;-)

Wolves-City yesterday was a good game to watch for a neutral. Sterling got very lucky on that penalty kick(s).

Nigel Pearson really seems to have changed things for Watford. Three wins and a draw in their last 4 and they arguably could (should) have got something from the game against Liverpool before that. And they're winning games with 10 men for significant lengths of time. I think Ben Foster has been the best goalkeeper in the PL so far this season. Gareth Southgate should be paying attention because Pickford has not been his best.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.