ManUre need to get rid of Woodward, but thankfully they won't do that.

What's with Antonio Conte signing all these EPL players? Ashley Young, Victor Moses and now Christian Eriksen. Supposedly he is also interested in Olivier Giroud.

I thought yesterday was the day Liverpool could lose a game away to Wolves. Nope. They continue to find a way to win. As opposed to the teams immediately below them who find ways to drop points on a regular basis. Like drawing with a 10 men Arsenal.

What a surprise. ManUre jump into the lead of the EPL spending spree by signing Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon for a reported €80 million. Desperation.

Speaking of which, hopefully Chelsea do not succumb to that and sign Dries Mertens from Napoli. Nothing against him but we already have one 32 year old striker. Same thing goes for Cavani although he seems to want to go to Madrid (Atletico) over London.

I think Inter did well to get Eriksen for €20 million.

Ahhh ... that's where you're wrong, Steve. Desperation isn't splashing the cash for Fernandes (€55 million plus potential addons, not 80), rather bringing in Ighalo on loan is. Even the failed attempt to bring Josh King from Bournemouth was never a marquee signing.

The Chelsea attempt to bring in Mertens was an odd one for me also. You're right - you've already got Giroud on the bench. Although apparently these transfers were connected - if Mertens came in, Giroud would have been allowed to leave, as he wants to play his way into the France side this summer.

flwino posted:

Pep Must be devastated as they were the champs recently.

Pep was a champ with Barca, but he hasn't won with ManCity.  It's a pretty devastating blow. Ask any Arsenal fan who has to watch crappy European football on Thursday as opposed to Tues/Wed.  And it really hurts your ability to convince players to come to your squad.  Though money can solve that issue...as ManCity found out and is now paying the price for.

City is appealing to the CAS. CAS is generally pretty spineless, so I'd imagine the two year ban will be reduced to one. Depending on when the appeal is heard, City may still be able to play CL next year, but then be banned for 2021-2022.

CL 2020/21 starts with preliminary rounds in June of this year, so I don't know if UEFA needs to decide on all teams in the tournament at that time or, since the Prem has their teams go straight to the group stage, if those teams can be swapped out later.

Personally, if City are going to be banned, it would be great if it were for the upcoming campaign - imagine if Sheffield United were in the group stages of CL!

This ban has potential to really damage City, however - especially if the two year ban is upheld. Players at their peak, like De Bruyne, will want to play CL and likely want to leave. Pep is unlikely to extend his contract again, and there are rumours that he may end up at Juventus.

The next couple months will be quite interesting.

Not sure how you didn't see this coming FLWino? The investigation has been ongoing for some time now and some punishment was inevitable. I agree with Fut about an appeal resulting in a 50% reduction in the punishment. There is precedence for that. From what I've read the ban will be effective for 20/21 CL as the appeal is unlikely to be heard that quickly. And to think at the beginning of the season I picked Sheffield United to be relegated.

Last week I read a quote from Pep saying he wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired if City do now win the CL this year. That would be crazy but the ambition of City's owners is only surpassed by their riches.

steve8 posted:

Not sure how you didn't see this coming FLWino? The investigation has been ongoing for some time now and some punishment was inevitable. I agree with Fut about an appeal resulting in a 50% reduction in the punishment. There is precedence for that. From what I've read the ban will be effective for 20/21 CL as the appeal is unlikely to be heard that quickly. And to think at the beginning of the season I picked Sheffield United to be relegated.

Last week I read a quote from Pep saying he wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired if City do now win the CL this year. That would be crazy but the ambition of City's owners is only surpassed by their riches.

Knew they were in trouble, but doubted that the penalty was so severe.

Add Reply

Likes (0)