2018 WORLD CUP

jcocktosten posted:
jabe11 posted:

Well, im happy for the Russian players.  I guess the worry of having your family members possibly 'disappearing' if you lose works wonders for your motivation.

Not too mention weak competition that is also scared of getting out of the country alive if they win

Weakest group A

Even our high school team could beat some of these.  Think this was a stacked deck

fusionstorm posted:
flwino posted:
steve8 posted:

England are going to have to have to do better than that. Played well enough but so many missed opportunities. Kyle Walker is an idiot. That said, the ref was inconsistent as I saw two occasions when Kane was tackled to the ground in the Tunisian box on free kicks. Sterling....pfffft again.

Belgium looked good. Will they finally live up to expectations?

The refs so far have let a lot of stuff go.  Very few yellow cards when many were deserved.  Like the tackles.

Most all of Belgium are from the EPL    Very few from England from same league

Huh???  England's WC roster is 100% EPL'ers.  Belgium's WC roster is a bit over 50% who hail from EPL clubs.  

Should have clarified.  The "greats' are from other countries in EPL.  Not so many 'great' English players.  IMHO

POR & SPN  both held to one goal each.  Great defenses by opponents,  

Glad to have Jorge Perez announcing some games.  Better than some bland folks.

DEN leads off today with AUS.  Should be a close fixture.  FRA off today VS PER.   PEr should hold them well. 

I've never got the criticism for US soccer commentators (with the exception of trying to make Gus Johnson call soccer).  I'll say that for something subjective like judging the quality of the commentating, I tend to care much less because everyone has their own likes or dislikes (this coming from a guy who loves Bill Walton as a commentator).  But just from someone who has watched a ton of soccer, I'm not quite sure what I'm missing by having the Fox commentators vs the UK commentators.  I think most of the main guys (JP Dellacamara, Derek Rae, Glenn Davis) are pretty good.  And the guys (or gal) calling the game with them all have international experience and aren't totally devoid of insight.  What am I missing?  Is it their delivery?  Are they talking too much? 

Not trying to stir the pot, but I've heard this criticism before and I don't know what it is I'm missing. 

azwiese posted:

Not trying to stir the pot, but I've heard this criticism before and I don't know what it is I'm missing. 

They are missing an English accent.  Allows soccer fans to feel superior, which let's face it they love, when the Queen's English is spoken. 

That croatia vs argentina game was a stunner!  some incredible pin point passes and just as accurate shots on goal this game.

Argentina looked like a bunch of individual super stars that couldnt mesh as a team where as croatia was just firing on all cylinders!

Tried to watch the Iceland game at lunch today. The Nigeria keeper celebrating like he did something when he guessed the wrong direction on a penalty and the Iceland player missed the net (how?) is all I need to reaffirm that I really don’t like this game. 

I was very surprised by that also, JC. It's either a penalty or a booking for simulation. And that was definitely not a penalty. If he were carded for the dive, he would have been sent off for a second yellow later in the game (that he actually got) for lipping off to the ref.

I'm not a Neymar fan at all. He's whiny and dives constantly. He even tried confronting the ref in the tunnel at the half, and Marcelo needed to pull him away and into the dressing room so he wouldn't get carded.

Vino Me posted:

Exciting ending to the Brazil/Costa Rica game. 2nd half was dominated by Brazil and the game wouldn't have been decided in extra time if not for some fine goalkeeping by Costa Rica.

VM

Yeah, Navas had a helluva game.  He is the starting keeper at Real Madrid, after all.  Brazil just have too much going forward.  If they can keep there heads in it and play to their potential, they could be unstoppable.

Aside from the heart palpitations caused by Germany on Saturday until Kroos hit his magnificent free kick, I am really enjoying this World Cup. Belgium and Croatia have impressed me most so far, and have played the most enjoyable games for me so far. Portugal, Spain and (especially) England) look good too. 

If Germany does not win it all (yeah right, as if...) then it would be cool to see a first-time winner, like Belgium or Croatia, as opposed to one of the conventional powerhouses.

POR & SPN  Got lucky with draws.  Both teams are disappointment with the great promise, and a poor failure to perform.

As for their opposition - Fantastic defense and a great effort.

As for the VAR & the ref in the matches, they all $uck.  Especially the POR/IRN match

azwiese posted:

I've never got the criticism for US soccer commentators (with the exception of trying to make Gus Johnson call soccer).  I'll say that for something subjective like judging the quality of the commentating, I tend to care much less because everyone has their own likes or dislikes (this coming from a guy who loves Bill Walton as a commentator).  But just from someone who has watched a ton of soccer, I'm not quite sure what I'm missing by having the Fox commentators vs the UK commentators.  I think most of the main guys (JP Dellacamara, Derek Rae, Glenn Davis) are pretty good.  And the guys (or gal) calling the game with them all have international experience and aren't totally devoid of insight.  What am I missing?  Is it their delivery?  Are they talking too much? 

I only watched 3 or 4 games so maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh, but I found the commentators to be more interested in chit-chatting than calling the game. Followill and Barton were especially poor imo. They also do not seem to be anywhere near as knowledgeable about the players as the UK guys.

flwino posted:

POR & SPN  Got lucky with draws.  Both teams are disappointment with the great promise, and a poor failure to perform.

As for their opposition - Fantastic defense and a great effort.

As for the VAR & the ref in the matches, they all $uck.  Especially the POR/IRN match

Yep - Portugal and Spain were both disappointing yesterday. Too bad, their first game against one another showed a totally different picture. Let's see how they perform in the next round...

The group stages are always interesting.  As disappointing as I think Argentina, Spain, and Germany (maybe even Brazil) have been, I think the knockout round is a whole new game.  Just look at the Euros a couple of years ago.  Portugal got through with 3 points in the group stage, and then went on to win it all.  Though Portugal winning the Euros was more of a function of England/Germany/France/Spain/Italy being on the other side of the bracket, the same will not happen in the World Cup.

But anything can happen in the knockout rounds.  And Argentina and Spain have done that.  We'll see about Germany tomorrow. 

Germany looked flat the entire tourney.  Kroos didn't look good (and was actually the goat for the goal that Sweden got).  Neither did Mueller, Werner, Ozil.  Hummels wasted multiple opportunities today. I don't know why Werner was out there almost all 270 minutes over their tourney.  He never looked dangerous.  Draxler, Gomez, Brandt, were all more effective when they were out there. 

Well, and a drastically different starting 11 each game doesn't help. Flat is a good way to describe them. I guess everyone should have taken Germany's weak performance in their friendlies leading up to the World Cup more seriously...

Time to go buy a Croatia jersey!

shavez posted:

Interesting that now the defending champs have failed to make it past the first round in each of the last three world cups. Italy in 2010, Spain in 2014, now Germany in 2018.

Don't forget France in '02.  That makes 4 out of the last 5 champs that didn't make it out of group stage in the next WC.  Brazil in '06 is the only exception.

Add Reply

Likes (0)