2018 PGA Championship @ Bellerive CC in St. Louis

We're mere hours away from the start of the 4th and final major championship of the 2018 golf season.  Bellerive is playing soft and slow, so players who are able to hit the ball high and long are felt to have a distinct advantage.  There's also sentiment that the course sets up better for players who shape the ball right to left.  But considering how many "no name" players have won the PGA, who the heck knows who'll be hoisting the Wanamaker Trophy by Sunday evening......

Original Post

Typical big course favoring the bombers.

PGA  needs to forge its own identity by going to the new resort courses such as Bandon, Streamsong or the like. The USGA went there a tad with Chambers Bay and Erin Hills, but they are headed back to the usual classic designs. The problem with the remote resorts though is lodging and logistics. The move to May should open a lot of venues so that is a step in the right direction.

It does favor the bombers.  But the greens being so receptive also makes it a fair fight for the ball strikers as well.  At the moment I'm typing this, Kevin Kisner has the lead at -7, and he came in ranked 140th in driving distance.  Francesco Molinari (42nd in driving distance) is tied for 3rd place at 2 strokes behind, and Zach Johnson (tied for 150th in driving distance) is tied for 6th place at 3 strokes off the lead.  

Other than the speed of the greens being so dang slow, I'm liking the course setup.  Lots of risk/reward decisions for players, no matter whether they're bombers or not.  

Congrats to Brooks Koepka on winning his third major of the last seven played.  Two weeks ago, I saw a buddy that I hadn't seen in a few years, and Brooks came up.  Turns out he works with his dad and has played golf with him quite a bit.  The family has a baseball background, but his dad is also a good golfer and held a local course record until Brooks beat it.  My buddy said the dad said his younger son, Chase, may well end up being the better golfer (don't know that I'd take that bet).  He's currently playing the European Tour where Brooks started out.

csm posted:
flwino posted:

Woods needs to dump his putter.

Putter???  He missed 8 fairways on the front nine and shot 64.  Don't think the putter was the issue. 

He scrambled and got on the greens in reg.  There were quite a few missed left/right/and short over four days.   Painful one is the one that stopped 1" from cup

flwino posted:
csm posted:
flwino posted:

Woods needs to dump his putter.

Putter???  He missed 8 fairways on the front nine and shot 64.  Don't think the putter was the issue. 

He scrambled and got on the greens in reg.  There were quite a few missed left/right/and short over four days.   Painful one is the one that stopped 1" from cup

He had 10 putts on the front 9 on Sunday.  Putter wasn't the issue. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)