Now that the World Cup is over and I can stop pretending I like soccer for another 4 years, attention can turn to the Open Championship, to be played at Carnoustie this year.  Course setup is always interesting at this venue as the superintendent and the R& A have in the past seemingly tried to ensure that it plays to its reputation as the hardest course in the world.  It's apparently been hot and dry in the UK this summer so the course is baked out, fast and firm.   Some of the guys have driven into the burn on 18, some 460 yards away from the tee, so it will be interesting to see how it impacts scoring.  I like Justin Thomas or Tommy Fleetwood this week, but I'm just hoping for a good tourney and for the focus to be on the golf rather than the course setup like it was at the US Open.

Original Post

Of course, I have no idea who will win, but Francesco Molinari is playing quite well at the moment.    I think that someone with experience on that course has an advantage.  One thing for sure.....I will not be betting on Jean Van de Velde.

napacat posted:

Watched a reply of the 18th hole last time... Van de Velde got quite a few horrendously bad breaks.  He really did not choke and showed a lot of mettle just to get in the playoff.  Looking forward to Carnoustie!

This is quite possibly the worst "HOT TAKE!" imaginable.    

He had one horrendously bad break (the second shot rebounding backwards off the grandstand).  Everything else was a "what if?" or extremely bad judgement.  The choke started as soon as he chose to hit driver off the tee.  He got extremely lucky that his drive didn't end up wet or in a horrendous lie.  That he chose to go for the green with his second shot was an extreme choke, as there was OB not too far to the left of the hole.  The wise play is to hit a mid iron back to the fairway, hit a wedge onto the green, and no worse than a 3 putt has JVdV hoisting the Claret Jug which already had his name engraved on it.  And even he admits in hindsight after his second shot ended in a really bad lie, that he should've played his third shot towards the fairway, rather than trying to advance it.  Worst that could've happened is he hits thru the fairway, but the rough on the other side wouldn't have been so bad for a wedge 4th shot into the green, and a likely two putt for a 6.

JVdV committed the worst choke job in sports history.

ProSys posted:
napacat posted:

Watched a reply of the 18th hole last time... Van de Velde got quite a few horrendously bad breaks.  He really did not choke and showed a lot of mettle just to get in the playoff.  Looking forward to Carnoustie!

He had one horrendously bad break (the second shot rebounding backwards off the grandstand).  Everything else was a "what if?" or extremely bad judgement.  The choke started as soon as he chose to hit driver off the tee.  He got extremely lucky that his drive didn't end up wet or in a horrendous lie.  That he chose to go for the green with his second shot was an extreme choke, as there was OB not too far to the left of the hole.  The wise play is to hit a mid iron back to the fairway, hit a wedge onto the green, and no worse than a 3 putt has JVdV hoisting the Claret Jug which already had his name engraved on it.  And even he admits in hindsight after his second shot ended in a really bad lie, that he should've played his third shot towards the fairway, rather than trying to advance it.  Worst that could've happened is he hits thru the fairway, but the rough on the other side wouldn't have been so bad for a wedge 4th shot into the green, and a likely two putt for a 6.

I can agree with the tee shot getting extremely lucky.  But nothing after was really a choke.  Bad decision on the third shot, yes without a doubt.  But where that ball hit on his second shot is just amazing.  Hell even if it just came down short of going back across the burn he would have been fine.  Fun to watch while it was going on though.  Watching ti live, I was not aware how bad of a break it was to hit that metal beam squarely and send the ball backwards.

napacat posted:
ProSys posted:
napacat posted:

I can agree with the tee shot getting extremely lucky.  But nothing after was really a choke.  Bad decision on the third shot, yes without a doubt.  But where that ball hit on his second shot is just amazing.  Hell even if it just came down short of going back across the burn he would have been fine.  Fun to watch while it was going on though.  Watching ti live, I was not aware how bad of a break it was to hit that metal beam squarely and send the ball backwards.

The only shot he played that went anywhere near the intended target was the 6 footer for triple bogey that he had to make.  His drive went nowhere near where he was aiming.  His second also went well right of his target.  The third shot went into the burn (creek).  The fifth (after taking excruciatingly long to decide to take the penalty fourth shot) went into the bunker.  The sixth shot from a good lie in a not deep at all bunker ended up 6 feet offline from the pin (good for an amateur, marginal for a pro).  Any pro in that situation (i.e. must make the shot to win the Championship) would've been trying to hole out on that bunker shot, and his attempt was nowhere close to doing so.  

I tell myself and my young, golf fanatic sons that unless you're basically a beginner at golf, hitting two good shots a hole should get you a bogey at worst.  Certainly any professional golfer who hits two good shots while playing a single hole will walk off the green with a double bogey as the worst outcome, even with bad breaks happening on the other shots.  JVdV choked every shot until his putt on that 18th hole, and it cost him the Claret Jug as a result.  

What a great weekend of golf at Carnoustie!  As a golf fan, you really couldn't ask for much more.  A leaderboard loaded with former and aspiring champions.

After the end of the third round, I really thought that Spieth would close it out today.  His round, in many ways, was the antithesis of his final round, last year.  Too many missed fairways and putts.

To see Woods leading a Major again was very cool.  I doubted whether we would ever see that again.  He seemed to catch a break by hitting a spectator on 11, but then misses the flop-shot and 3-putts for double.  He then goes sideways, twice, on 12 and bogies.  At that point, his chance of winning was greatly diminished.

I now believe Woods has a better chance of winning another Major than Mickelson.

Watch out for Schauffele!  He has the game and steady disposition to contend for many years to come.

McIlroy needs to get his putting game figured out or he will continue to come up short.  He is much too talented to not have won a Major in four years.

Congrats to Molinari for winning the first Major for his home country.  He has been the hottest player on tour for several weeks now.  I thought his comment about playing on the PGA Tour was very telling: playing tougher courses against better competition has elevated his game.

Looking forward to Royal Portrush in 2019!

ProSys posted:
napacat posted:
ProSys posted:
napacat posted:

The only shot he played that went anywhere near the intended target was the 6 footer for triple bogey that he had to make.  His drive went nowhere near where he was aiming.  His second also went well right of his target.  The third shot went into the burn (creek).  The fifth (after taking excruciatingly long to decide to take the penalty fourth shot) went into the bunker.  The sixth shot from a good lie in a not deep at all bunker ended up 6 feet offline from the pin (good for an amateur, marginal for a pro).  Any pro in that situation (i.e. must make the shot to win the Championship) would've been trying to hole out on that bunker shot, and his attempt was nowhere close to doing so.  

I tell myself and my young, golf fanatic sons that unless you're basically a beginner at golf, hitting two good shots a hole should get you a bogey at worst.  Certainly any professional golfer who hits two good shots while playing a single hole will walk off the green with a double bogey as the worst outcome, even with bad breaks happening on the other shots.  JVdV choked every shot until his putt on that 18th hole, and it cost him the Claret Jug as a result.  

Reading this, you cannot play golf at a high level.  Regardless great Open and pretty exciting weekend.  Tiger will win soon... unless Karma won’t allow it! 

napacat posted:
ProSys posted:
napacat posted:
ProSys posted:
napacat posted:

Reading this, you cannot play golf at a high level.  

Bless your heart.  You confirm yet again you are even dumber than you look with such a well thought out and eloquent response.  

Greatly enjoyed watching one of golfs true bon vivants win the 2018 Senior Open Championship today! 

Congrats to Miguel Angel Jimenez. A man who loves great food, great wine, great cigars, great watches and his beloved BMW’s and Ferrari. I’m confident your evening will be special. 

scbeerman posted:

If there was ever a player for this forum, it is MAJ. The guy just knows how to enjoy life, and like a fine red wine, he is getting better with age. Other than Langer, he is as good as anyone on the Champions Tour.

Beerman, and he plays sooo fast. There are so many people that need to be put on the clock from the first tee. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)