steve8 posted:

Big game on Sunday between Liverpool and Chelsea. Here's to a repeat of the same fixture in 2014 when the Blues beat the Reds 2-0 effectively ending Liverpool's chances of winning the title and handing it to...Manchester City. Chelsea finished third that season.

How did that go for ya?

Spanked by Liverpool.

jcocktosten posted:

Arsenal was very lucky to get by Watford.  Weakest red card I have seen in a while

+1 That was a yellow card, no more. Watford played very well for the rest of the game with 10 men.

VAR. I'm not a fan. Too disruptive to the game in many cases and I think it's going to result in lazy refereeing. I don't even know why they used it in the City-Spurs game on that last disallowed City goal. Spurs players weren't asking for it. The ref checks just in case? Pfffft. Not to take anything away from Spurs as they scored 3 goals at the Ethiad compared to none for City at Tottenham. Fun game to watch.

A4ever, if Cardiff goes down they might also want to think about the fact they didn't score a single goal against Huddersfield in their two league games. Azp was offside but in a 38 game season a team can't pick a single incident as the reason for their failure.

Steve8 - It was such a blatant offside that everybody in the stadium saw it except the ones that counted. Yes, there are numerous bad calls throughout a 38-game season, and many missed opportunities, but Azp's goal has huge financial implications for Cardiff and those fighting for the UCL next season. VAR will slow the play next season, but I'd rather see them get the calls right.

jcocktosten posted:

Interesting day.  Everton destroys ManU.  Liverpool does what it needs to and Palace beats the Gooners

Any day on which both ManU and Arsenal lose is a great day of football, especially the way United lost.

Now if only today could end up being as good!

steve8 posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Interesting day.  Everton destroys ManU.  Liverpool does what it needs to and Palace beats the Gooners

Any day on which both ManU and Arsenal lose is a great day of football, especially the way United lost.

Now if only today could end up being as good!

Not so much - Burnley played tough but Chelsea should be winning games like that.  I still don't get what the big to do was at the end of the game

jcocktosten posted:

Not so much - Burnley played tough but Chelsea should be winning games like that. 

Absolutely should be winning that game at home with a top 4 place on the line, expecially considering their rivals all lost on the weekend. Pathetic and further evidence that City and Liverpool are in a class of their own in the EPL this season. Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU and Tottenham are way behind them, but at least the latter has a chance to salvage something in the CL.

Kovacic looked good for a few games at the beginning of the season but he has done nothing this calendar year.  Send him back to Real Madrid. Higuain too. I sincerely hope Chelsea lose their transfer ban appeal and they bring back Zouma, Abraham, Mount and Tomori from loans. What a shame that Hudson-Odoi is out for the rest of the season with a ruptured achilles.

steve8 posted:
What a shame that Hudson-Odoi is out for the rest of the season with a ruptured achilles.

He should be out for quite some time.  Might help Chelsea keep the player.  Fully healthy and he'd be playing in Munich next year.

Arsenal sure is trying to make it 3 years in a row in Europa league.  Are they seriously playing like this with Champs league on the line?  Watching Ramsey carry the Gunners over the past few weeks makes me question Emery's tactics moving forward.  He doesn't trust Ramsey to fit, but you can put an error prone, non-defensive mid like Xhaka in the lineup week in and week out?  Arsenal spent a lot of money on Lacazette and Aubumayeng.  They need to come up huge in these games.  

azwiese posted:
steve8 posted:
What a shame that Hudson-Odoi is out for the rest of the season with a ruptured achilles.

He should be out for quite some time.  Might help Chelsea keep the player.  Fully healthy and he'd be playing in Munich next year.

Arsenal sure is trying to make it 3 years in a row in Europa league.  Are they seriously playing like this with Champs league on the line?  Watching Ramsey carry the Gunners over the past few weeks makes me question Emery's tactics moving forward.  He doesn't trust Ramsey to fit, but you can put an error prone, non-defensive mid like Xhaka in the lineup week in and week out?  Arsenal spent a lot of money on Lacazette and Aubumayeng.  They need to come up huge in these games.  

I don't think Lacazette or Aubumayeng are the problem - they have largely played well in my opinion.  Poor midfield and defense is a much bigger problem.  I agree with you, how Ramsey is not playing regularly with those guys they keep throwing out there is beyond me.

Frickin' clown show is the race for 3rd and 4th. A war of attrition. They all suck. At least Chelsea and Arsenal also have a chance in the Europa League. Meet each other in the final?

I think Arsenal's problems are mostly defensive. How pathetic was Sokratis on the third Wolves game the other day? Koscielny is not the player he used to be. Mustafi is incredibly inconsistent.

steve8 posted:

Spurs lose to West Ham at home as the incompetence of the also-rans continues. Next up, Arsenal and their pathetic away record play Leicester at the King Power tomorrow. Along with the totally unpredictable clash between ManUre and Chelsea.

I’m not too hopeful on Arsenal but less so with Chelsea. We shall see

flwino posted:

no body wants the top four slots?

I hope either Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa league and finish in the top 4. That way the EPL will only get 3 teams in the CL next year. They don't deserve any more than that. Obviously I have a slight preference which team wins it.

As for the Chelsea-ManU struggle on Sunday, does Higuain even know what offside is? Sure a striker is going to get caught once or twice a game, but I lost count of how many times he was called for it on Sunday. Failed loan. Send him back along with Kovacic who just apes Jorginho and his sideway passes. Zero creativity between those two. I almost miss Fabregas.

I need to stop watching Chelsea games for the rest of this season. Frustrating as hell. I made a near perfect pizza carbonara to enjoy while watching the second half of the game on Sunday but it took much of the pleasure out of the pizza.

Liverpool were outclassed by Barca, period. And now possibly without Salah for the return leg, they are toast. They were very fortunate to win the game against Newcastle. 

I wish I could laugh about the Spurs loss to Bournemouth yesterday but I'm watching the Chelsea-Watford game and for some reason I'm not in a laughing mood. Good for Cahill on his public criticism of Sarri. Last EPL game in a blue shirt at Stamford Bridge for Hazard? I think so and I don't blame him for leaving. 

I cannot believe that Granit Xhaka still plays for Arsenal.  He makes the most boneheaded plays that actually lead directly to goals for the opposition, but Emery still plays him.  It's unreal.  I'd rather have Guendouzi or even Elneny.  I loved the lineup today with the exception of him...and the entire Arsenal defense.  They have to improve on that next year...something that every Arsenal fan has said for the past 3 years, yet we are still yet to see significant improvement.  Koscielny can stay, but Monreal and Socratis are best as bench options.  Mustafi needs to go.  No idea what Lichsteiner is doing on the squad.  Bellerin is quality, and hopefully he comes back strong from injury.  Maitland Niles also looks up to it.  

The only saving grace is that Chelski is in the Champs League already.  If both Chelsea and Arsenal get to the championship of the Europa League, hopefully they won't be as motivated as their cross town rivals. 

arsenal4ever posted:

Agree on Xhaka, Monreal, Mustafi. Neither would have ever played on Arsenal teams from 1996- 2014. Shows how bad we've fallen.

Except that Monreal has been with the Gunners since 2013? That was a nice dive from him yesterday btw.

As for the results yesterday, I think the expression would usually be "the cream rises to the top", but in this instance I think "shit floats" is more fitting. However, I'll take it. Neither United or Arsenal in the top 4 is sweet. 

He’ll be even happier to know it’s been 5,120 days and counting since ARSE could be called Premier League titleholders.  

And that it’s been 1,087 days and counting since the last St Totteringham’s Day.  

As well as infinity days since ARSE hoisted a Champions League/Euro Cup trophy.  Go ahead and gaze wistfully at the Big Ears hardware much as the legendary Thierry Henry did after receiving his consolation prize......

steve8 posted:

Liverpool were outclassed by Barca, period. And now possibly without Salah for the return leg, they are toast. They were very fortunate to win the game against Newcastle. 

What wines pair well with crow?

Kudos to Liverpool for beating Barcelona 4-0 without Salah or Firminho. Suarez was right, he didn't celebrate scoring a goal in front of the Anfield crowd. At least he didn't bite anyone either.

A4ever, thanks for rubbing in the fact that I didn't get to ski Squaw.

Prosys, I actually despise ManUre much more than Arsenal so their failings are far more enjoyable.

That game was ridiculous.  The spine of Barca looked old.  Suarez, Busquets, and Pique weren't good enough yesterday.  Alba has kind of leveled off at a good but not great player.  No one has filled the shoes of Xavi or Iniesta.  Poor Coutinho looks brilliant in some games, brutal in others.  I'd take him any day of the week though.  

I just wish Arsenal would have gotten Klopp.  The mental toughness that he gets his guys to play with, at both Dortmund and Liverpool, is amazing (and it's been the thing...along with a decent back line...that the Gunners have been missing for years)  If you did a side-by-side with City, there's no way you say that Liverpool has the quality that City has.  Same as when he was at Dortmund and you compared them to Munich.  But as a team, Liverpool is amazing to watch.  

Add Reply

Likes (0)