steve8 posted:

The Arsenal-Spurs game on Sunday was entertaining. Unlike the Wolves-Chelsea game yesterday. Defense just broke down for 5 minutes.

Futronic, Hughes got fired. Happy now?

Very much so! I still think Southampton have a good chance of being relegated at this rate.

Good result for Chelsea against City. I think City really missed Aguero, and this once again confirms that Sterling shouldn't play as a false nine. He's much better playing from either wing where he can use his pace.

jcocktosten posted:

Have to say I don't like David Luiz but he played an excellent game against City

Yes he did and I'm sure from my posts here before you've noted I feel the same way about him.  It will probably be his last season with Chelsea if some other club is willing to give him more than a 1 year contract.

Kante also played well. Maybe it had something to do with the position Sarri finally allowed him to play.

Should be some interesting CL games today. Spurs pretty much need to beat Barca and Liverpool has to beat Napoli by a few. At Anfield they're capable.

I liked this post from the Guardian this morning.

United become everything they laughed once. Spending money like City, talking about history like Liverpool, aiming 4th place like Arsenal and changing managers like Chelsea.

Giggs would be the smart choice for United to replace him. Or Eddie Howe. Hopefully they won't choose smart and instead pick Zidane or Conte. Big Sam as the interim to keep them up?

His ego is too big now and he ends up pissing his players off. I can't speak too badly of him though as he did lead Chelsea to 3 league titles.

Apparently sacking him is going to cost ManUre about £15 million. Add that to the "compensation packages" he received from Porto, Chelsea, Inter/RM, RM again and Chelsea again. Not bad.

jabe11 posted:

A couple of great wins for Leicester.  Now if Fulham could only get in gear.

Peterborough having a good run but have tapered off, and Norwich also making a serious promotion run.

Even better run for Portsmouth, but they have also tapered off recently, especially dropping the game against Gillingham on Saturday. I'm still confident that Pompey can get promoted.

As for Leicester City, definitely playing well recently. Beat Chelsea, beat City and took City to penalties in the League Cup.

I wonder how Mourinho has enjoyed the last 2 ManUre games? To be fair to him, the players should be ashamed of themselves too.

Salah is a diver and hopefully the refs have that in their heads going forward. Despite that fact, they crushed Arsenal. I would have preferred a draw but the result puts some space between the Gooners and Chelsea for 4th spot.

Looking forward to the City-Liverpool game on Thursday.

Well entertaining game.  Pep outmanaged Klopp in that game IMO.  Liverpool's lineup was too defensive and they could not keep the ball.  

Alexander-Arnold had one good cross and spent the rest of the game giving the ball away repeatedly and getting toasted on defense

Here is a pet peeve - Man City deserved to win the game so no gripe about that and I know the refs always allow the time wasting but it was particularly egregious today. 

Pep's rant at the refs took about a minute; Edison took 45 seconds or longer for his last goal kick and was not carded, the crowd and usher or whatever the sideline guy refuse to give the ball for the throw in twice in a row and only 18 seconds are added?  

How Bernardo only gets one yellow is also a mystery.  

Anyway, the result will lead to a more exciting title run so that's fine.

jcocktosten posted:
Pep's rant at the refs took about a minute; Edison took 45 seconds or longer for his last goal kick and was not carded,

He was carded for that.

Watched the Chelsea-Forest FA Cup game yesterday. Apparently Febregas' last game for the Blues. You know I didn't shed any tears. Morata was an odd scene in the game. Scored two, but showed zero pleasure. Missed one I could have redirected into the net and then went straight down the tunnel after being subbed. Is he on his way too?

Chelsea would be insane to sell Hudson-Odoi to Bayern, even for 30 million sterling. He was superb yesterday and I'm sick and tired of Chelsea's abysmal record of bringing up their academy players. But with that stupid fucken witch in charge of transfers, who knows?

Signing Pulisic tells me she is preparing to sell Hazard, which I'm OK with. He wants to play for Real Madrid. Just make sure you get 150 million for him.

Considering how Real Madrid is flailing a bit in La Liga this campaign, I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't make a move for Hazard this summer.  Interest is mutual, and Chelsea needs to give minutes to CHO and Pulisic to determine if they're the real deal.  And they can take the transfer fees and hopefully finally find someone approaching world class striker level.  Morata needs to go, and he won't have cleared even the low bar set by Fernando Torres as wildly overpriced rot........

Bayern has upped their offer for Hudson-Odoi to £35 million and apparently the player wants to leave. Granovskaia is going to fold like a house of cards.

Prosys, I'd rather they didn't spend big on a striker right now. Especially if that striker is called Higuain. They're not going to win the EPL this year so hold steady and bring Abraham back in the summer. If someone wants to make an offer for Morata, I agree with you about letting him go.

FA Cup. Arsenal v ManUre. Here's hoping for a draw and a replay.

Spurs v Chelsea in the first leg of the League Cup semis today. Two clubs whose fans have been behaving badly recently.

Definitely don't want the Blues to panic and get an overpriced and washed up chump like Higuain now.  I'Ve got mixed feelings about the Cavani rumors.  He's not a youngster anymore.  But damned if I can't ever forget how much of a sniper he was during his heyday with Napoli.  If he performs at even a couple levels below his Napoli days, that's a big improvement over what the squad has been getting from the 9 in recent memory.

We'll see if they bring Tammy back, and if he's the solution.  

Some breathing room between the Blues and Gunners for the 4th spot with a big game between the two next Saturday. Seems to be a good time to play Arsenal as they're struggling as of late. Not that Chelsea is playing with great confidence.

Need a draw today between Spurs and ManUre, even if hoping for a point for that latter makes me feel dirty.

There's no chance for United to challenge for the title this year. But if Ole's able to steer the team to a top four finish, that would be one heck of a result.

Spurs are without Kane until March, supposedly, after twisting his ankle at the end of the MU match, but he may be back sooner if his priors are an indication. With Son off to the Asian games as well, that only leaves Moura and Llorente to lead the line, as Poch has no interest in playing Janssen (remember him?!?). With no signings expected in the window, I wouldn't be surprised to see drop a significant amount of points, lose to Chelsea in the second leg of the Carabao Cup semi, and get knocked out of the Champions League all in the next month and a bit.

That would be a real shame if Spurs don't have Kane or Son for the 2nd leg of the League Cup. Unfortunately that won't help Chelsea score goals which is their problem. But wait, it seems the aforementioned Higuain is on his way to west London and if what I've read is true I can't blame Granovskaia. Sarri reportedly put the pressure on her to bring in another of his Napoli boys. With Morata reportedly heading to Atletico where he'll challenge Costa for the job.

Now Sarri wants a midfielder to replace Fabregas, who didn't start too many games that I recall because Jorginho is exhausted. Halfway through the season I'll state I'm not that impressed with Jorginho. Terrific at 90° passes, but not a play maker. And do we really need more mid-fielders?

Steve and other Chelsea fans, what are your thoughts on Sarri and what he is doing?  I don't understand it at all.  Maybe it is only the games I watch, but Hazard and Kante are the 2 best players on the team and they are both playing out of position and look miserable and terrible.  Perhaps Jorginho is great, but he blows in every game I see.  Decent passing but terrible defending, ball winning and toughness and with Luiz back there, you need someone who can cover.  I simply don't get it at all.  I am no expert and only see some of their games but I do not get the Jorginho situation at all.

Gunners outclassed them massively today.  Bellerin's injury looks bad though.

jcocktosten posted:

Steve and other Chelsea fans, what are your thoughts on Sarri and what he is doing?  I don't understand it at all.  Maybe it is only the games I watch, but Hazard and Kante are the 2 best players on the team and they are both playing out of position and look miserable and terrible.  Perhaps Jorginho is great, but he blows in every game I see.  Decent passing but terrible defending, ball winning and toughness and with Luiz back there, you need someone who can cover.  I simply don't get it at all.  I am no expert and only see some of their games but I do not get the Jorginho situation at all.

At this point I have to say that Sarri is the second most stubborn manager around. The first is currently unemployed. And now he's publicly deriding his players. I've seen this movie before. Sarri just continues to essentially start the same eleven players every BPL game and is surprised the results are usually the same. Against most of the lesser quality (expensive) teams they manage to squeak out results. I also thought a couple of the substitutions he made yesterday were a total waste. Down 2-0 and make a couple of like-for-like changes in Barkley for Kovacic and Hudson-Odoi for Pedro. He should have taken Jorginho off for one of those attackers.

Jorginho. I've stated several times here that I didn't see what the big deal was about him. Yesterday's game was even worse. Ramsay had his number and just shut him down so he couldn't even make his useless sideways passes. Sarri is making excuses by saying he's exhausted, but if that's the case, give him a couple of weeks off. Nothing to lose imo.

If I was king I would sit Jorginho, put Kante in his natural role, move Luiz up to attacking midfield, put Christensen or even Ampadu in the backfield. Recently Luiz has been the only player who has looked creative going forward and as I've said before, his defensive play is spotty at best. They should also play a striker, whether that is Giroud, Morata or the next flavour of the day.

I don't blame Hudson-Odoi for wanting to leave. Sarri is only giving him lip service. I sincerley hope Chelsea is found guilty of the charges concerning the rules about transfers of under-18's and gets a 2 year transfer ban. That will force them to look at the significant talent they have in London or on loan. There was an article in the Guardian this morning with a postmortem analysis of Chelsea and concluding management has no long term plan and hasn't for several years. I agree completely and I have no doubt that's why Michael Emenalo quit in 2017 as technical director and unsurprisingly has not been replaced. Why would anyone want the job of being Granovskaia's puppet?

The best part of yesterday's game was when the camera showed Ozil on the Arsenal bench and the commentator mentioned he is getting paid £350,000/week for 150 minutes played this year. My quick back of napkin math tells me he's getting paid more than £50,000/minute.

steve8 posted:
jcocktosten posted:

At this point I have to say that Sarri is the second most stubborn manager around. The first is currently unemployed. And now he's publicly deriding his players. I've seen this movie before. Sarri just continues to essentially start the same eleven players every BPL game and is surprised the results are usually the same. Against most of the lesser quality (expensive) teams they manage to squeak out results. I also thought a couple of the substitutions he made yesterday were a total waste. Down 2-0 and make a couple of like-for-like changes in Barkley for Kovacic and Hudson-Odoi for Pedro. He should have taken Jorginho off for one of those attackers.

Jorginho. I've stated several times here that I didn't see what the big deal was about him. Yesterday's game was even worse. Ramsay had his number and just shut him down so he couldn't even make his useless sideways passes. Sarri is making excuses by saying he's exhausted, but if that's the case, give him a couple of weeks off. Nothing to lose imo.

If I was king I would sit Jorginho, put Kante in his natural role, move Luiz up to attacking midfield, put Christensen or even Ampadu in the backfield. Recently Luiz has been the only player who has looked creative going forward and as I've said before, his defensive play is spotty at best. They should also play a striker, whether that is Giroud, Morata or the next flavour of the day.

I don't blame Hudson-Odoi for wanting to leave. Sarri is only giving him lip service. I sincerley hope Chelsea is found guilty of the charges concerning the rules about transfers of under-18's and gets a 2 year transfer ban. That will force them to look at the significant talent they have in London or on loan. There was an article in the Guardian this morning with a postmortem analysis of Chelsea and concluding management has no long term plan and hasn't for several years. I agree completely and I have no doubt that's why Michael Emenalo quit in 2017 as technical director and unsurprisingly has not been replaced. Why would anyone want the job of being Granovskaia's puppet?

The best part of yesterday's game was when the camera showed Ozil on the Arsenal bench and the commentator mentioned he is getting paid £350,000/week for 150 minutes played this year. My quick back of napkin math tells me he's getting paid more than £50,000/minute.

So in other words, not just me.  That was a crazy press conference   Ship appears to be sinking

jcocktosten posted:

So in other words, not just me. 

No, not just you. Sorry for the long winded reply/rant.

Reports that Morata is heading to Atletico on loan for the rest of the season and then a permanent transfer for £48.5 million. If that ends up happening I must give credit where credit is due. That would mean a loss of only £11.5 million on him, so if the witch can get that for a player who isn't worth a ball and pair of shoes, kudos to her.

Dele Alli is out for 6 weeks so along with Kane and Son Spurs are definitely missing some key attacking players for the game against Chelsea on Thursday.

ManU look to be a completely different team under Solskjaer. While he deserves credit, it is also a pretty damning statement about the professionalism of some of the players imo.

Good game on Thursday between Chelsea and Spurs. Blues did just enough. I'm looking forward to seeing what Higuain can do tomorrow.

Higuain didn't score on his debut, but he did have a couple of half chances. I would have been surprised had he scored in his first game, but he looked comfortable out there. It almost looked like Willian offered to let him take the penalty, but he turned it down.

Morata gone...for at least 18 months. Not sure I see the point of sending him on loan to another league. I question his ability to play in the PL. He's not tough enough.

Hudson-Odoi transfer request turned down as was the offer from Bayern. Hopefully the Blues give him more playing time and enough to make him want to stay beyond the summer. And hopefully they get a 2 year transfer ban so they will have to concentrate on what they already have instead of trying to buy the next big thing. It's getting difficult to remain a Chelsea fan these days with all of the turmoil.

Chelsea v ManUre in the FA Cup. The latter has been given a tough road so far with the draws.

Well that was an interesting day.  Arsenal got a second straight win with a clean sheet, despite missing most of their starting back line.  The City loss was huge for the title race.  That Fernandinho give away was crushing.  Man U dropped points as well, though they've come so far in the last month, that they are back in Champs League contention.  

The next month will be interesting for the table with European competition coming back.  City's next two games are vs Arsenal and Chelsea.  Liverpool has ManU and Bayern back to back in February.  Spurs will have to play Chelsea, Arsenal, and Dortmund in the span of a week at the end of February.  

Really looking forward to the Liverpool/Bayern match up, as well ManU/PSG games.  

steve8 posted:

Higuain didn't score on his debut, but he did have a couple of half chances. I would have been surprised had he scored in his first game, but he looked comfortable out there. It almost looked like Willian offered to let him take the penalty, but he turned it down.

Morata gone...for at least 18 months. Not sure I see the point of sending him on loan to another league. I question his ability to play in the PL. He's not tough enough.

Hudson-Odoi transfer request turned down as was the offer from Bayern. Hopefully the Blues give him more playing time and enough to make him want to stay beyond the summer. And hopefully they get a 2 year transfer ban so they will have to concentrate on what they already have instead of trying to buy the next big thing. It's getting difficult to remain a Chelsea fan these days with all of the turmoil.

Chelsea v ManUre in the FA Cup. The latter has been given a tough road so far with the draws.

+1.

im loving this follow Steve8 option on the new format on Ws

Add Reply

Likes (0)