I couldn't respond sooner because it took me this long to get my foot out of my mouth. I didn't see the game but have watched a replay of the penalty call. Pretty soft, but I'm not shedding any tears for PSG. All that money and still nothing to show for it in Europe.

How do Spurs beat Dortmund twice without allowing a goal and then lose to Southampton? I'm glad they did though. A few weeks ago it looked like they had a lock on at least 3rd place but have now slipped into a 4 way race for 3rd and 4th.

A good week in Europe for the EPL teams...err...except for Arsenal. At least now I know where Rennes is.

steve8 posted:

How do Spurs beat Dortmund twice without allowing a goal and then lose to Southampton? I'm glad they did though. A few weeks ago it looked like they had a lock on at least 3rd place but have now slipped into a 4 way race for 3rd and 4th.

A good week in Europe for the EPL teams...err...except for Arsenal. At least now I know where Rennes is.

It's Spurs being Spursy. At this rate, I think they'll finish out of the top four. Maybe even as low as sixth and there will be a return of St. Totteringham's Day.

Poch was clearly unimpressed with the performance. I watched the game, and they should have been at least two or three up at the half. They threw that game away. Not much that could be done with JWP's peach of a dead ball, but Spurs should have been running away with it by that point.

Interesting comments post match when asked about his team's performance:

"... was damning in his assessment of his Tottenham players after they threw away a first-half lead to lose 2-1 to Southampton, accusing them of “complacency” and “arrogance” and suggesting they do not have the mental strength required to win major honours." (from The Guardian)

At this rate, I think Poch walks in the summer and moves to Real. He'll get a huge amount of money to spend (something that will never happen at Spurs thanks to Levy and the new stadium on top of that), and I think he's just fed up with the situation and needs pastures anew.

And I just saw this a few minutes ago in the Birmingham derby between Birmingham City and Aston Villa ... a Birmingham spectator ran onto the field and assaulted Jack Grealish, hitting him in the head from behind. Absolutely disgusting and shameful. How did he get onto the pitch? I hope Birmingham is severely sanctioned for this. Stadium ban, points deduction, and even more. Disgusting.

Should be an interesting run-in to the end of the EPL season for 3rd and 4th. Arsenal have the easier of the schedule, but their inconsistent play, especially away from home, could cost them a Champions League spot (again). They play at Everton, Watford, Leicester, and Burnley, all mid pack.

ManU home to Man City and Chelsea

Chelsea away to Pool and ManU

Tottenham away to Pool and Man City

Rooting for Liverpool to take the title. They don't skirt the rules like City.

arsenal4ever posted:

Should be an interesting run-in to the end of the EPL season for 3rd and 4th. Arsenal have the easier of the schedule, but their inconsistent play, especially away from home, could cost them a Champions League spot (again). They play at Everton, Watford, Leicester, and Burnley, all mid pack.

We can only hope 

I'm conflicted because I'm a Juve supporter, but not a Ronaldo fan. I guess that's what 232 million Euros buys you? It was a cracker of a game, though.

Pleased to have the team move on to the quarters and am looking forward to the draw on Friday. Juve to draw United?

All 4 EPL teams through to the quarters. Hopefully they don't all draw each other. Fut, Juve-ManUre sounds good as long as Juve win.

Europa League. I can't find any information about why Lacazette's 3 game suspension was reduced to two by UEFA? When one considers that UEFA also switched the games giving the Gooners home field for the second leg a cynic might think that Arsenal did some coaxing, bribing, etc...

I hope Sarri is paying attention to the game today. That starting eleven is getting closer to the one I think he should go with. Exceptions being Azp and Hazard instead of Zappacosta and Kovacic.

Steve,

Obviously I want Juve to go through, regardless of the opponent.

As for why Arsenal ended up with the second leg at home despite the draw, I'd imagine it's due to the fact that they didn't want two matches in the same city at the same time for police/security/transport reasons. Both Chelsea and Arsenal were supposed to have their first legs at home last Thursday. Why Arsenal and not Chelsea had their tie switched, I don't know. Could have been drawing of lots.

Laca's ban reduction was weird though. Three games for violent conduct (elbow) should mean three games.

Tomorrow's draw will be interesting. From the quarter-finals onward, there's no protection against drawing teams from the same federation.

Watch this happen: Manchester derby with Liverpool/Spurs, or Liverpool/City Juve/United. And then a London derby in the Europa league.

I hope it doesn't, as the whole point of European competition is to have teams from different leagues play one another.

Following up on my comment yesterday about why the Arsenal tie was switched, I was right in the fact that UEFA has a stipulation that two ties can't be played in the same city in the same week for security/safety reasons. Not only the same day, the same week. The reason why Arsenal's tie was switched and not Chelsea's was that Chelsea finished higher in the table last year. That's an odd one, however, as the switch meant that Arsenal, not Chelsea, received the second leg at home. I guess the rule is such that the lower ranked team has the tie switched, regardless of the location of the home tie order.

The same thing happened this morning with United. Their tie with Barcelona was switched because City finished higher in the table.

Speaking of the CL draw, talk about some tasty draws (first leg at home listed first)*:

• Ajax v Juventus
  • Liverpool v Porto
  • Spurs v City
  • Barcelona v United*

*United will play the home leg first as per UEFA:

"A reminder that Man City and Manchester United are not able to play at home on the same night, nor on consecutive nights, following a decision made by the relevant local authorities. The first leg of Manchester United v Barcelona will therefore be at Old Trafford."

Semi-final draw is as follows:

• Spurs/City v Ajax/Juventus
  • United/Barcelona v Liverpool/Porto

Nice draw for Juve, but they need to be prepared for Ajax. Ajax did quite the number of Real last week.

I knew about the city of Manchester having a rule about City and United not playing at the same time, which makes sense. The stadiums are pretty close together and Manchester isn't that big. Now London is a much bigger city and the Emirates and Stamford Bridge are not even close to each other. If it was the Gunners and Spurs, I could see it. Or Chelsea and Fulham. I did not know UEFA had a rule about it.

Good draws in the CL and Europa League. In the CL I think Juve, City, Barcelona and Liverpool should go through. Napoli drew Arsenal instead of Chelsea, which would have been interesting.

UEFA has a ton of little stipulations that come into play. Things like Russian and Ukrainian teams not being able to draw one another, etc. If there were ever a situation where teams from both countries made later rounds, they'd need to play games in neutral grounds.

A few days late with this comment but...After a strong game against Dynamo Kiev with a different starting eleven, Sarri goes back to the same old team sheet for Everton with the same tired result. Can he really be this blind? WTF does Giroud have to do to get a start in EPL? And how often does Alonso have to make boneheaded defensive plays before he spends some quality time on the bench? I won't even mention the psuedo-attacking central midfielder because I've been done with him for a few weeks.

It looks like our best chance to qualify for the CL is to win the Europa League. Hopefully Sarri doesn't come to this realization and switch the team sheets.

Watching Chelsea play these days is like watching paint dry. Completely undeserved victory over the mighty Cardiff.

The only interesting part of the game was when Sarri took Jorginho off (again) after another pointless performance. Hopefully that was the reason and not the fact he was on a yellow card. I can't diss Sarri for starting the same 11 players because this time he made two changes, both head scratchingly stupid but hey, better than nothing.

At least Spurs lost. One point separates 3rd and 6th place. Need Newcastle to take points from Arsenal tomorrow.

Maybe the Chelsea fans serenades finally got to Sarri as he really changed the starting eleven. And surprise, a different result. Both Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi very involved. Very tight race(s) at the top of the table. Thank you Wolves!

Not so tight at the bottom as Fulham joins Huddersfield in the Championship next year. I thought they would do better.

Dortmund seem to be slipping after a strong start to their season. I was surprised how meekly they went down to Spurs in the CL.

Good result from Everton this morning against Arsenal. Keeps that race for 3rd and 4th in the EPL close.

The Wolves-Watford FA Cup game was a good one to watch. I thought Wolves had it in the bag at 2-0 with about 10 minutes left to go.

It appears the love affair between ManU and Solskjær is over. They've lost 4 of the last 5 games in all competitions, dropped down to 6th in the EPL and the media and fans are starting to grumble. Even the one victory (over Watford) in that stretch of games was unconvincing. They play West Ham at Old Trafford tomorrow which should be easy for them, but I hope not.

There seems to be an increase in racist incidents at European games these days. Ugly. How stoopid do you have to be to film yourself making racist chants, post it online and then try to get in to the stadium to watch a game...in a country you had to travel some distance to?

Big game on Sunday between Liverpool and Chelsea. Here's to a repeat of the same fixture in 2014 when the Blues beat the Reds 2-0 effectively ending Liverpool's chances of winning the title and handing it to...Manchester City. Chelsea finished third that season.

steve8 posted:

Big game on Sunday between Liverpool and Chelsea. Here's to a repeat of the same fixture in 2014 when the Blues beat the Reds 2-0 effectively ending Liverpool's chances of winning the title and handing it to...Manchester City. Chelsea finished third that season.

Wait a sec, you want Man city to win the title?

jabe11 posted:
steve8 posted:

Wait a sec, you want Man city to win the title?

I'm kind of indifferent to who wins the title. Part of me would like to see Liverpool win because it has been a long time since they won it. Never won the PL since it was formed. However, Chelsea finishing in the top 4 is more important to me and beating Pool today is pretty important to achieving that.

I will also say that part of me wouldn't mind seeing City win the quadruple as that would be some achievement.

Add Reply

Likes (0)