2018-2019 European Football (Soccer) Season

This thread could well end up being me posting to myself, but I'll give it a try.

Start out with comments on Chelsea. I have no idea how strong they will be this year. Not much activity on the transfer front so far and only 5 days left. I suspect Courtois will be gone and the fact the club picked up Rob Green indicates they think the same, although he wouldn't likely be their number 1. Hopefully Hazard and Willian both stay. I haven't seen Jorginho play very often but he sounds like the kind of player who could send Fabregas packing. Or more likely Drinkwater.

I see no reason why Manchester City shouldn't repeat as Premier League champs. Liverpool should be strong and Spurs will end up third. The fourth spot? Could be Arsenal.

If I'm right about the above Mourinho will be looking for a new job again.

Relegation. I think Wolves and Fulham will be strong enough, unlike the other promoted team along with 2 of the teams who barely survived last season.

Cardiff

Brighton

Huddersfield Town

Community Shield tomorrow. Hopefully City doesn't embarrass us too badly.

Original Post

Liverpool to win it.  Klopp has been a huge positive for the league and he seems like a good dude.  I wish him well and they are fun to watch.

Don't follow the off-season so much, so I guess I'll see where everyone ended up.

Also hoping Fulham do well...always liked them and Were promoted in style.  If craven cottage didn't look like a ride at Disneyland it might be a bit more formidable for visitors!

More comments later, but here's what I think about the table:

Top:

1. Man City

2. Liverpool

3. Man Utd

4. Arsenal

5. Chelsea

6. Tottenham

Relegation:

18. Watford

19. Huddersfield

20. Cardiff

I would prefer Southampton relegated, but I don't think that's in the cards this year.

futronic posted:

I would prefer Southampton relegated, but I don't think that's in the cards this year.

You really don't like Mark Hughes do you?

Chelsea. That witch Granovskaia has to go. Once again she makes panic transfer deals at the last minute. She didn't want to pay £66M for Allison, but then turns around and pays £71M for the more inexperienced Kepa. Shades of the expensive last minute deals in January to sign Drinkwater and Barkley, which have amounted to very little.

Should be an interesting game against Arsenal today.

Both teams were a shambles on defense in the first half. Of course that is to be expected if David Luiz is your central defender, although he wasn't really at fault on the Arsenal goals.

I don't understand the roles of Kante and Jorginho and it clearly did not work in the first half as the midfield allowed the Gunners several great opportunities. Kante's strength is as an endlessly persistent defending midfielder. Kovacic looked good when he came on.

It's very early, but such an expensive goalkeeper probably should have saved that first Arsenal goal.  

I'm enjoying the Brighton-ManUre game this morning. 

I haven't seen too many posts from Ampuis recently, but he has to be happy with the Hornets performance so far this season. Good win over Spurs yesterday.

Liverpool is looking very strong so far.

WTF West Ham?? They spent a lot of money in the summer for an 0-4 start.

steve8 posted:

I haven't seen too many posts from Ampuis recently, but he has to be happy with the Hornets performance so far this season. Good win over Spurs yesterday.

Less a statement of intent and more of tenacity, but a great, and surprising,  win for them.

jabe11 posted:
steve8 posted:

Less a statement of intent and more of tenacity, but a great, and surprising,  win for them.

For Watford, that should be noted.

Giroud played a good game yesterday for Chelsea. Looks like Morata will be playing Europa League and cup games for a little while. Kovacic continues to impress me. First place for the Blues!

Liverpool look strong though.

Sean Dyche has taken the lead in the "first manager to get sacked this season" pool.

Add Reply

Likes (0)