Hello!

My daughter was born in 2017 and I decided to buy couple cases of good champagne/sparkling wine to present it to her when she will turn 21. Or maybe me and my wife will be drinking some on her birthdays as well I mostly prefer Rosé and want value to increase during the course of 20 years. I'm ready to pay $30-$50 per bottle. Any ideas?

I've chosen sparkling because is is relatively easy to store and more suitable for birthday celebration but will also appreciate reds ideas .

Original Post

It's way too early to make recommendations on 2017 vintage Champagnes, as none have been released.  The minimum required in house aging for vintage Champagne is 3 years, if I recall correctly.  Most houses will hold their wines for significantly longer than that before release.

Not sure what you mean about sparkling wine being "relatively" easier to store.  If you're not planning on some kind of temperature control, you will likely have real challenges in getting anything you purchase to make it to your daughters 21st birthday in good condition. 

Also, your price point will prove challenging, especially for a wine built to last 2 decades.

Congrats on the birth of your daughter!

PH

I agree with Purple Haze.  For example, the Dom Perignon 2008 is only soon to be released. Release dates vary, as the 2009 Dom has only now been released.

I would suggest that you take $1000 and invest it in something that will grow over the next decade. Buy the 2017 vintage (if it turns out to be a good one) in around 10 years. There are some years where champagne houses don't feel the results will be satisfactory, and it could be that there will be no 2017 vintage champagnes worth buying.

But, in any event, congrats on the newborn.

Great suggestions from PurpleHaze.

I recommend that folks consider vintage port as well, if it's available. The pluses are that port stores well. If you don't keep it at an ideal 55 degrees, a well-made port should still be completely sound if it's tucked away on its side in a basement or closet, provided it doesn't get up over the high 70s or so. Also, it's sweet, and a 21-year-old is more likely to like drinking this than a bottle of (unsweet) dry wine. Also, Vintage port has lots of alcohol, something most youngsters like.  A good bottle of VP will set you back about $85, plus or minus. 

The minus is that vintage port isn't made every years, and you'll have to wait another year to see which if any port houses made 2017 VP, and then another few years for delivery.

Good luck and congrats!

I second indy's recommendation of Vintage Port, for all the reasons he stated, plus...

A good vintage port will likely be in it's sweet spot after a couple of decades.  Come back if the port producers declare a vintage in 2017 and ask around.  There are a couple of very knowledgeable port-heads here.

PH

purplehaze posted:

It's way too early to make recommendations on 2017 vintage Champagnes, as none have been released.  The minimum required in house aging for vintage Champagne is 3 years, if I recall correctly.  Most houses will hold their wines for significantly longer than that before release.

Not sure what you mean about sparkling wine being "relatively" easier to store.  If you're not planning on some kind of temperature control, you will likely have real challenges in getting anything you purchase to make it to your daughters 21st birthday in good condition. 

Also, your price point will prove challenging, especially for a wine built to last 2 decades.

Congrats on the birth of your daughter!

PH

https://theoriginalwineclub.co...gne-2017/category/3/

a fantastic bubbly but out of price range unforunately

2017 is also too early for a vintage port declaration and a very unlikely one with the split declaration of 2015 and 2016.  Also weather reports from that year were absolutely terrible.

https://blog.symington.com/year-vineyards-july-2017/

and congratz on your daughter!

Add Reply

Likes (0)