Neuenahrer Sonnenberg. Purchased to taste. 

This is a well regarded Pinot in Europe that doesn’t make its way into the States often. It is available at K&L for $60, which is its approximate European price but significantly less than the only US Wine-Searcher offering. (K&L offering does not show up on W-S/Pro.)  Imported by Rudi Wiest. 

This wine is startlingly... a nice Pinot Noir. I’m not certain what I was expecting. This has an interesting blend of near-black minerality, like you may find in charcoal or asphalt — or miracle-grow. But it is combined with higher-toned fruits in addition to black raspberry and a hint of blueberry. Minerality is highly pronounced throughout the taste, but particularly on the finish where this most makes its terroir known and gives a distinct limestone or shale impression. This was consumed with bread, truffle butter, and Spanish Charcuterie, which was even less the “right” pairing than I thought it would be. Something about this is screaming for... venison. I just cannot stop thinking about venison loin with green peppercorns. Quite a long finish on the wine... This is a food wine. Elegant, minerally. Last few sips were with butternut squash ravioli in brown butter and sage — that was a fine pairing. 91.5

Original Post

Add Reply

Likes (0)