Skip to main content

These wines are drinking very well now. In the 25+ years I've been drinking Chianti, the quality of the wines overall have improved markedly. I can recall a time when the requirements for Chianti were so strict that the Supertuscan movement took off to allow winemakers more latitude to produce high quality wines. Well the strict requirements in Chianti were relaxed and now these wines can reach into the outstanding category in many cases.

According to Wine Spectator, the 2015 and 2016 vintages were the best since 1997. 2015 and 2016 were each scored 97 points. I've tried almost a dozen wines from these 2 vintages over the last couple years and agree that these are both excellent vintages, I have a slight preference for 2016.

I've stocked up on a couple mixed cases of wines from these vintages while they were on the shelves. Here is what I bought:

2016 Conte Ferdinando Guicciardini Chianti Classico Riserva Castello di Poppiano Belvedere Campoli

2016 Castello di Bossi Chianti Classico

2016 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Podere Castellinuzza Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Conte Ferdinando Guicciardini Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Il Tabernacolo Belvedere Campoli

2015 Villa Mangiacane Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Castello di Monterinaldi Chianti Classico Vigneto Boscone

2015 Marchesi de' Frescobaldi Chianti Rùfina Nipozzano Riserva

2015 Cafaggio Chianti Classico Basilica Cafaggio

2015 Castello di Bossi Chianti Classico Riserva Berardo

2015 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Carpineto Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Casaloste Chianti Classico

2015 Cantine Bonacchi Chianti Classico Riserva

2015 Luiano Chianti Classico Riserva

All of these wines were very good values in my opinion. I did not pay more than  $28 for any of them. Most of the Riservas will likely drink well for 10+ years.

Did anyone else go deep into these vintages? If so, what did you buy?

VM

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We have enjoyed many 2015s and 2016s over the years, but here are the ones that remain.  Will be interesting to try the Volpaias back-to-back.

2015 Castello di Ama Chianti Classico
2015 Castello Di Gabbiano Riserva
2015 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva
2016 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva
2016 Diovole Novocento Riserva Chianti Classico
2015 Fontodi Chianti Classico
2015 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico

I bought a few 2015’s based on vintage reports, mostly usual suspects such Villa Antinori, Brolio, Isole, Volpaia, Fontodi etc.

Despite all the good press for 2016, I wasn’t going to buy more CC’s as I have quite a few older Tuscans that I want to drink down, but after a friend insisted I try a glass, I bought a case of 2016 Castell’in Villa CC. I think it might be the best Chianti Classico I’ve ever had, though still needs a bit of time. I think it will likely outlast me.

From 2016:

7 x Vignamaggio Terre di Prenzano CC

18 x San Felice CC

5 x Volpaia CCR

2 x Isole e Olena CC

1 x Castello di Albola CC

1 x Poggerino CC

3 x Vignamaggio CC Gran Selezione Castello di Monna Lisa

From 2015:

Nozzole CCR

Poggerino CCR Bugialla

2 x Poggerino CC

2 x Carpineto CCR

2 x Monsanto CCR

2 x Viticcio CCR

4 x Castelli del Grevepesa CCR Clemente VII

2 x Castelli del Grevepesa CCR

4 x Castelli del Grevepesa CCR Castelgreve

I've drunk quite a few and have managed to hold onto a few. 

2015 Monsanto reserva...I bought a case+ of this for $12.99 per and while enjoyable, this doesn't have the stuffing as some of the others.

2015 Nozzole reserva, likely there best ever chianti and a steal at $16.99.  I drank up the few I had and now regret it.  Maybe this thread will prompt me to search out some more.  I bought a few of the 2016s and have a couple left that I'll save.

2015 Volpaia reserva, bought two early on and still have them.

2015 Tenuna Perano, CC...this was outstanding for the price.  Again, should have bought more.

2015 Rocca delle macie reserva, another solid wine, 1 left.

A lone 2016 Fontodi in my wine fridge.

I'm sure there are others I can't remember. 

I love good CC, and think a lot of it profits from more time in bottle than a lot of people give it. I'm barely into my 15s - which I have consistently enjoyed. It is a very good vintage from what I can tell. I've tried:

15 Riecine CC

15 Isole e Olena CC

15 Poggerino CC

15 Castello di Ama "Ama" CC

15 Principe Corsini "Le Corti" CC

Lots more to try...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.