2014 Château Labégorce - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/15/2018)
-- first glass poured about 30 min. before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over 3 hours on Day 1; tasted again on Day 3 --

NOSE: initially, quite charred, dark-fruited, with some oak tones. Nose closed-up hard after 30 min. in the glass, leaving some oak and faint dark fruits behind; if I try hard, I can convince myself there's a hint of florals somewhere in there, too; reminded me of the '05 Lascombes upon pouring the first glass; hint of rubber tire; sweet oak. Day 3: still not presenting as "classic Margaux" to me --- no mineral, no overt floral note, and not relatively elegant.

BODY: violet-garnet-black color of great depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: dark; bitter; medium-grained tannins; dark-fruited; not elegant; disjointed; fruit seems ripe; not juicy, but it is a bit "fresh"; improving after a couple hours open – seems to be knitting together; hint of leather; this really turned a corner after 2.5 hours; A said she'd re-buy at $40, so a good QPR at $25, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic as she about this one. gut impression score 90 – 91, but that goes into low-level excellent range on the strength of my giving it the benefit of the doubt that it will improve with age; today, it strikes me more in the 87 - 89 range, if given plenty of air. Needs time, or air if drinking now. I was interested in trying this wine due to the numerous positive reports I'd read from others, but I was left with the impression that I was practically tasting a different wine. At its asking price, and given that Ashley liked it, a re-buy of a bottle or two isn't out of the question --- I'm certainly curious to see how this would develop, but it's not particularly exciting for me right now.
Original Post

Add Reply

Likes (0)