2013 Guigal Hermitage white

Beautiful pear, honey and ripe fruits on the nose with sweet quince. Palate was a little light due to the vintage but was still enjoyable. Medium acidity and medium long finish. I’d enjoy this on the younger end of its life. Now -3 Years.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by lschaffer:
Sounds tasty - I'm always surprised by 'acidity' notes in these wines as I find both Marsanne and Roussanne to almost always be low in acidity - unless picked early and then you miss out on the 'roundness' the varieties bring to the table.

Cheers.

Well Marsanne is normally low in acidity but not Roussane which tends to be high. That being said , vintage and the right to add acidity by winemakers might make up some of the differences in different vintages, no?

Welcome to the boards.
Thank you for the reply. In my experience, both varieties are relatively low and acid. Roussanne certainly can have some if picked early, but then you miss out on the voluptuous texture that the variety is known for. That said, sometimes I believe that texture and perhaps a touch of bitterness gets confused for acidity. Not saying that's what is taking place here but it's certainly has in the past. Cheers.
Yep. But that said, there are some pretty good examples of both coming out of CA these days. And surprisingly, one that I had from Krankl. It was around 16% but I had no idea until I looked at the label. Whether he added or not, he managed to integrate the acidity really well.

BTW, nice to see you here amigo!
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Yep. But that said, there are some pretty good examples of both coming out of CA these days. And surprisingly, one that I had from Krankl. It was around 16% but I had no idea until I looked at the label. Whether he added or not, he managed to integrate the acidity really well.

BTW, nice to see you here amigo!

I just wonder about the actual 'acidity' in the wine - that's all. With varieties like Riesling or Sauv Blanc, the acidity is more 'apparent' - with viscous white rhones, I'm not so sure . . .

Cheers!
quote:
Originally posted by lschaffer:

I just wonder about the actual 'acidity' in the wine - that's all. With varieties like Riesling or Sauv Blanc, the acidity is more 'apparent' - with viscous white rhones, I'm not so sure . . .

Cheers!

Agreed. I find these wines to be so rich and fat. Pass the lobster!

Guigal's website does not give any technical specs for their wines.
quote:
Originally posted by WineTrooper:
Interesting to me. I always thought these wines were high in acidity. Acid does equal bitter however and perhaps I’m just drinking cheap bitter white rhones LOL.

If you drink these wines cold, they will tend to show a decent amount of bitterness. If you have them at room temperature, where their texture is at its peak, they should not show bitterness - unless their alcohol levels and extraction are too great . . .
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't get the comments about high acidity in Rhone whites. As a group, I find them quite low in comparison with just about all other whites.

Not all white rhones lack acidity - both Grenache Blanc and Viognier can retain some great acidity . . .

Cheers!

Add Reply

Likes (0)